2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

The Sporting News Draft Grade

Minnesota Wild

Grade: C+

This grade would be a lot higher had Minnesota not thrown away its first-round pick on a player who had identical cohorts all through the second, third and fourth rounds. To be fair to defender Filip Johansson (24th), the kid knows how to play defense and his mobility makes it easy to keep pucks out of harm’s way. Still, it was a reach pick, and everyone outside of Minnesota seems to think the same. Centers Jack McBain (63rd) and Alexander Khovanov (86th) were once considered locks for the first round before slipping due to mediocre second halves and questions about their foot speed. They did a great job, however, by nabbing aggressive puck rusher Simon Johansson (148th), and forwards Connor Dewar (92nd) and Shawn Boudrias (179th) were two of my higher-rated overagers. Smallish centers Damien Giroux (155th) and Sam Hentges (210) are decent skill players who could make a lot of noise with their respective junior clubs next year.

Draft grades are about as accurate as the draft itself...

6 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

So general consensus is: Wild picked decent players, except for the first-rounder.

That, and more of the same such as mediocre second halves, questionable foot speed and more smallish for the club.

15 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Oh, so we got a steal?  Really?  So why weren't you asking about this guy BEFORE the draft if you think the Wild were so brilliant?  

I haven't once said I think it's a brilliant pick, or that I agree with it.  In fact, I am not a fan of the pick...not at all.  However, I just think that jumping up and down, waving my arms, and acting like I know more than Fenton and/or Flahr is a waste of time.  There is so much that goes on that none of us will ever be privy to that I just think it's ridiculous to get upset about a player a team drafts.  If we were out there scouting everyone of these kids ourselves, in the war room debating the order in which we rank them...then...maybe then we could jump on our computers and bitch with purpose.  But, we are not...and we won't ever be...so what's the point?!

I bet if we went back and analyzed every draft of the past 20+ years - then analyzed the "grades" given to these drafts to determine which was more accurate...it would be a tie.  Both would have an equal amount of egregious hits and misses.

I didn't see anyone jumping up and down waving their arms. That's a heck of an imagination.

I did see people post their displeasure. Then when the "experts" gave their opinion it appears many of us fans do know more than the Wild scouting staff... Over the course of several years too.

18 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

I didn't see anyone jumping up and down waving their arms. That's a heck of an imagination.

I did see people post their displeasure. Then when the "experts" gave their opinion it appears many of us fans do know more than the Wild scouting staff... Over the course of several years too.

I believe you believe that...

3 hours ago, Davey J said:

I haven't once said I think it's a brilliant pick, or that I agree with it.  In fact, I am not a fan of the pick...not at all.  However, I just think that jumping up and down, waving my arms, and acting like I know more than Fenton and/or Flahr is a waste of time.  There is so much that goes on that none of us will ever be privy to that I just think it's ridiculous to get upset about a player a team drafts.  If we were out there scouting everyone of these kids ourselves, in the war room debating the order in which we rank them...then...maybe then we could jump on our computers and bitch with purpose.  But, we are not...and we won't ever be...so what's the point?!

I bet if we went back and analyzed every draft of the past 20+ years - then analyzed the "grades" given to these drafts to determine which was more accurate...it would be a tie.  Both would have an equal amount of egregious hits and misses.

Yea, the crowd is wrong and Flahr knows something everyone else missed...(yawn)  There were apologists for the Zack Phillips' pick too...but they all looked like fools for refusing to see what was plainly obvious.  We drafted a 6'0" defenseman with average skating ability and limited offensive skills in the 1st round.    

2 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Yea, the crowd is wrong and Flahr knows something everyone else missed...(yawn)  There were apologists for the Zack Phillips' pick too...but they all looked like fools for refusing to see what was plainly obvious.  We drafted a 6'0" defenseman with average skating ability and limited offensive skills in the 1st round.    

I'm not apologizing for anyone.  I'm simply saying it's a waste of time to piss and moan about it!

Plus, there's a reason why quotation marks are always put around the word, "expert"...and that goes for you, for me, for anyone trying to project what an 18 year old is going to end up as.  

6 minutes ago, Davey J said:

I'm not apologizing for anyone.  I'm simply saying it's a waste of time to piss and moan about it!

Plus, there's a reason why quotation marks are always put around the word, "expert"...and that goes for you, for me, for anyone trying to project what an 18 year old is going to end up as.  

The experts were not sold on this guy being a 1st round level talent.  Not just one, but almost all of them.  I was quoting multiple sources.  So Flahr believes and you suddenly do?  Maybe he should sell you some land in Florida...

13 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The experts were not sold on this guy being a 1st round level talent.  Not just one, but almost all of them.  I was quoting multiple sources.  So Flahr believes and you suddenly do?  Maybe he should sell you some land in Florida...

Holy crap... I don't agree with the pick!  I stated that plainly a few posts ago.  The ONLY point I am trying to make here is none of us are "experts" and it's a waste of time to piss and moan about who the Wild drafted.  Why is this so difficult to comprehend???

39 minutes ago, Davey J said:

Holy crap... I don't agree with the pick!  I stated that plainly a few posts ago.  The ONLY point I am trying to make here is none of us are "experts" and it's a waste of time to piss and moan about who the Wild drafted.  Why is this so difficult to comprehend???

Yet you keep trying...shut up Billy Bob...

I just looked at eliteprospects.com link regarding Alexander Khovanov. Not bad at all. The nicest part for me that he started as a youngster player at AkBars Kazan club, which is always was famous as a tough team. That club is a three times KHL Gagarin Cup winner, including this year and 4 times that club reached Gagarin Cup Finals in his history. Worry slightly about Khovanov's liver after hepatitis A, but he should be under a good supervision of dietitians and a therapist at least for the next year or 2.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/339559/alexander-khovanov

The biggest surprise for me that this draft year was without any goaltender prospects for us. At least should be drafted one and done this every year. The task of persistently looking for our own grown in a Wild club solid CONSISTENT goaltender from our prospects for years was never performed well. Probably, that part is a weak part for the entire NHL. Those types of goaltenders are rare and are never ever enough for the Wild and the AHL Wild team to get some significant results. Both Dubnyk and Stalock are 30 and more y.o.and need to be replaced in the nearest future (maybe in 2-3 years or early). With the young goaltender prospects which we have now, I am more skeptical about our success. This year playoffs showed evidently how important goaltending performance is. Soft goals practically are not acceptable to reach Stanley Cup finals.

51 minutes ago, Davey J said:

I'm you're huckleberry. That's just my game...

Nope, wrong again 'Mad Cap' Billy Bob....Illa Zilla is Doc Holiday around here minus the tuberculosis.  Leave the shotgun on your way out...don't forget to say 'thank you.'  

This was not a good draft for goaltending prospects.  I wasn't super surprised we didn't draft one once Skarek and Dostal were gone.  

6 hours ago, Davey J said:

I believe you believe that...

I'm not any of the hundred writers who wrote articles about the foolish 1st pick the Wild made.. For days after I already provided my input that it was a poor pick.

You though are only arguing with people to stir the pot.

12 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

I'm not any of the hundred writers who wrote articles about the foolish 1st pick the Wild made.. For days after I already provided my input that it was a poor pick.

You though are only arguing with people to stir the pot.

My dad gave me some advice when I was young...and clearly, I have not been abiding by it with you. He told me to never get in a debate with someone you don't respect.  

I am now done with you.

13 minutes ago, Davey J said:

My dad gave me some advice when I was young...and clearly, I have not been abiding by it with you. He told me to never get in a debate with someone you don't respect.  

I am now done with you.

Really?  C'mon...just modifying a line from Russel Ziskey on Stripes?  So if you think its a blah pick, why are you prolonging this thing other than to get the last word in?  

Kevin Allen of USAToday, who isn't a big opinionated hockey writer...just mentioned Johansson's ranking and that's it.  That doesn't sell me on his lauded abilities.  

24. Minnesota Wild: Defenseman Filip Johansson, Leksand Jr. (Sweden). He was ranked 17th by NHL Scouting among European players, but was 10th by season's end. He is considered above average as a skater, puck mover and defensive player. Projects to be a No. 3 or No. 4 defenseman.

Paltry upside for a 1st round pick IMO.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Really?  C'mon...just modifying a line from Russel Ziskey on Stripes?  So if you think its a blah pick, why are you prolonging this thing other than to get the last word in?  

Kevin Allen of USAToday, who isn't a big opinionated hockey writer...just mentioned Johansson's ranking and that's it.  That doesn't sell me on his lauded abilities.  

24. Minnesota Wild: Defenseman Filip Johansson, Leksand Jr. (Sweden). He was ranked 17th by NHL Scouting among European players, but was 10th by season's end. He is considered above average as a skater, puck mover and defensive player. Projects to be a No. 3 or No. 4 defenseman.

Paltry upside for a 1st round pick IMO.  

No...that is a direct quote of the advice my dad gave me when I was young and it actually predates Stripes.

As for the last word, I was trying to get out of the last word game with my previous post.

I will say this about the pick (not Johansson specifically)...If Kevin Allen is correct in his projection - history shows if a team gets a middle pairing d-man or a middle 6 forward in the bottom 1/3 of the first round...the team did pretty well.

1 hour ago, Davey J said:

No...that is a direct quote of the advice my dad gave me when I was young and it actually predates Stripes.

As for the last word, I was trying to get out of the last word game with my previous post.

I will say this about the pick (not Johansson specifically)...If Kevin Allen is correct in his projection - history shows if a team gets a middle pairing d-man or a middle 6 forward in the bottom 1/3 of the first round...the team did pretty well.

If he's right, and if he is we'll have a pretty soft blueline.  :(

Archived