Fenton Hires former North Star GM Jack Ferreira

hf101

This will be Ferreira’s 46th season working for his 10th franchise (WHA New England Whalers, Calgary, Rangers, North Stars, San Jose, Montreal, Anaheim, Atlanta, Los Angeles and Wild).  He has held the titles of GM, scout, assistant coach, assistant GM, director of player development, director of professional scouting, director of player personnel, special assistant to the GM and senior advisor, so why not just become assistant to the GM?  He has spent the past 11 years working for the Kings in their front office and plans to stay in California for at least the next year scouting teams on the West Coast.

(shrugs)  He's not going to be with the team, sort of an outside evaluator ala Jacques Lemaire when he consulted for the Maple Leafs.  The two have a history and if Fenton feels better to have his mentor on call then so be it.  I am annoyed Guy Lapointe and the scouting staff is still here...

Slight correction to my initial post.

Jack Ferreira in as a senior advisor to the GM, and Dean Evason has been named assistant coach, replacing John Anderson, who's contract was not renewed.

Evason was the head coach of the Milwaukee Admirals where Fenton was the GM, and prior to that Evason was an assistant coach with the Capitals as an assistant coach to Bruce Boudreau.

This move now appears as if Boudreau is running the organization...   :ermm:

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

You can look at it that way I guess. Maybe Evason is next in line if Boudreau doesn't get the job done. It was Fenton who replaced Boudreau's bench buddy assistant to bring in Evason. We're beginning to see some change and to me it's refreshing. Hopefully it continues to bleed down.

What stood out to me with Paul Fenton was how he responded to questions about bringing in his own head coach. Referring to critics saying GM's always bring in their own head coach (and staff.) His replay leaned toward reviewing everyone... Not a ringing endorsement by any means.

Had he said, 'Oh I know Bruce and have always liked him as a head coach...' Nothing leaned in that direction so I'm assuming he's towing the line about CL preferring he not go in there and start ripping things apart.

If this is Fenton’s first gig as an NHL GM, maybe he’s just being cautious. I’d rather see a guy come in and review everything and make carefully thought out decisions rather than the “There’s a new sheriff in town” mentality that can lead to hasty and uninformed decisions. 

Or or you could be right. 🙂

10 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I kind of like the changes, let's have more.

Especially the coach in charge of the pp.

As soon as they have their draft set, let's lose the scouts as well. 

Wonder if the Wild dropping from 9th to 18th had anything to do with John Anderson not being retained...

21 hours ago, hf101 said:

Slight correction to my initial post.

Jack Ferreira in as a senior advisor to the GM, and Dean Evason has been named assistant coach, replacing John Anderson, who's contract was not renewed.

Evason was the head coach of the Milwaukee Admirals where Fenton was the GM, and prior to that Evason was an assistant coach with the Capitals as an assistant coach to Bruce Boudreau.

Nope, I doubt it.  If Boudreau was running the team, I don't think he'd dump his best friend John Anderson.  Fenton wanted a guy he trusted to be on the bench.  IMO, that is a bit a shot across the bow towards Boudreau.  Boudreau still is under contract for two more seasons.  

Bob Mason was hired back, and while Evason, Woods and Boudreau all coached at Washington...I don't think it was something Boudreau wanted to see happen.  In fact, he even pointed out that Anderson's gig, the power play...wasn't too bad in his time here.  Evason is more of a PK guy.  Woods though, has been a power play guy before though, so they might flip duties.  

Russo also speculated that Evason might have been on his way out with the Predators / Admirals anyway after the fact they've been bounced from the AHL playoffs in the 6 seasons he was their coach.  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Nope, I doubt it.  If Boudreau was running the team, I don't think he'd dump his best friend John Anderson.  Fenton wanted a guy he trusted to be on the bench.  IMO, that is a bit a shot across the bow towards Boudreau.  Boudreau still is under contract for two more seasons.  

Bob Mason was hired back, and while Evason, Woods and Boudreau all coached at Washington...I don't think it was something Boudreau wanted to see happen.  In fact, he even pointed out that Anderson's gig, the power play...wasn't too bad in his time here.  Evason is more of a PK guy.  Woods though, has been a power play guy before though, so they might flip duties.  

Russo also speculated that Evason might have been on his way out with the Predators / Admirals anyway after the fact they've been bounced from the AHL playoffs in the 6 seasons he was their coach.  

Well. if going from the 9th ranked power play to 18th is considered pretty good...ok.

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Its relative.  The percentage was still over 20%.  

Then I wonder if this is a "Let's make Boudreau as uncomfortable as I can and make him quit so I can bring in my own guy" ploy...

12 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Then I wonder if this is a "Let's make Boudreau as uncomfortable as I can and make him quit so I can bring in my own guy" ploy...

(shrugs)  Certainly possible.  Maybe we'll see more changes than we first expected.  Fenton so far seems rather decisive.  

Maybe the primary change was to disconnect the GM from the players and that was Leipold's intent to crack the whip?

Is he sharp enough (Leipold) to notice his GM needs to GM and his head coach, coach?

I guess only time will tell.

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Maybe the primary change was to disconnect the GM from the players and that was Leipold's intent to crack the whip?

Is he sharp enough (Leipold) to notice his GM needs to GM and his head coach, coach?

I guess only time will tell.

Hopefully he also notices that his players, particularly Parise and Suter, need to play and not stray out of their lane like they've been doing...

Archived