LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2018-2019

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If he goes to the Q he can't play college anymore he wants to play for another program in college.

Well if he wants to make the NHL someday he may want to do what's best for his development. Going backwards to the BCHL seems like taking the easy way. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Well if he wants to make the NHL someday he may want to do what's best for his development. Going backwards to the BCHL seems like taking the easy way. 

Sure but he'll be 20 this year so Bill eluded to him having more options to play more years in college whereas this year would count as an overage year if he plays junior.

So he will have two more years of eligibility in college and give him more time to develop before needing to sign his ELC.

I guess i'm cool with it as long as he gets back on track to playing well. Is it an unusual path sure.

But they always say development isn't linear...so i will still root for the kid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Going backwards to the BCHL seems like taking the easy way. 

If he doesn't go the BCHL route he will have to sit out a year.

If that is the case he might as well play junior.

He could make in the USHL and then go to another program for 2020-21.

Flyers sign goalie prospect Kirill Ustimenko to entry-level contract

The 6-foot-3, 187-pounder will start the season with either AHL affiliate Lehigh Valley or ECHL affiliate Reading. Fellow goalie prospects Alex Lyon and Felix Sandstrom are expected to be with the Phantoms. Lyon, 26, has played three seasons in Lehigh Valley and 11 games with the Flyers, while Sandstrom, 22, will be over from Sweden. He was a third-round pick in 2015.

The 20-year-old was selected by the Flyers in the third round of the 2017 draft. Last season, for MHK Dynamo St. Petersburg in the MHL (Russian junior hockey), Ustimenko went 30-12-3 with a 1.78 goals-against average, .927 save percentage and a league-record 12 shutouts. In his MHL career, he finished 83-28-12 with a 1.79 goals-against average and .930 save percentage over three seasons.

Good news.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers sign goalie prospect Kirill Ustimenko to entry-level contract

The 6-foot-3, 187-pounder will start the season with either AHL affiliate Lehigh Valley or ECHL affiliate Reading. Fellow goalie prospects Alex Lyon and Felix Sandstrom are expected to be with the Phantoms. Lyon, 26, has played three seasons in Lehigh Valley and 11 games with the Flyers, while Sandstrom, 22, will be over from Sweden. He was a third-round pick in 2015.

The 20-year-old was selected by the Flyers in the third round of the 2017 draft. Last season, for MHK Dynamo St. Petersburg in the MHL (Russian junior hockey), Ustimenko went 30-12-3 with a 1.78 goals-against average, .927 save percentage and a league-record 12 shutouts. In his MHL career, he finished 83-28-12 with a 1.79 goals-against average and .930 save percentage over three seasons.

Good news.

You can never have too many goalie prospects. Hextall did one hell of a job stocking the cupboards full of them. I hope they don't stop picking at least one every year or two.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

You can never have too many goalie prospects. Hextall did one hell of a job stocking the cupboards full of them. I hope they don't stop picking at least one every year or two.

I don't think they will stop you should since they can take 3-4 years to develop if not more keep on picking them.

Even if you run into a good problem of not having room for them you can still move them for pieces that you do lack.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think they will stop you should since they can take 3-4 years to develop if not more keep on picking them.

Even if you run into a good problem of not having room for them you can still move them for pieces that you do lack.

Exactly. Goalies may not hold the most value, but good ones are hard to come by.

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Exactly. Goalies may not hold the most value, but good ones are hard to come by.

Plus there is a good chance they could lose Sandstrom in the expansion draft.

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Somehow I think there's going to be a bit more pain than that. I think we lose a defenceman. I hope we lose JVR (i know he scores...I just hate the way he plays)

This would only be his first pro-season.  I thought players needed to have 2 full pro-seasons in order to be eligible.

22 minutes ago, hf101 said:

This would only be his first pro-season.  I thought players needed to have 2 full pro-seasons in order to be eligible.

Sure and next year makes two.

Edited by OccamsRazor

22 minutes ago, hf101 said:

You do know last year in SHL counted he was on loan from LV.

So it counted.

So 2019-20 will be his 2nd season.

Making him eligible.

You do know last year in SHL counted he was on loan from LV.

So it counted.

So 2019-20 will be his 2nd season.

Making him eligible.

OK.  I'll rephrase my earlier statement

Sandstrom would then be a 2nd year player at the expansion draft and would still be considered exempt.  He wouldn't be a 3rd-year pro until the 2020-21season actually starts.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Sandstrom would then be a 2nd year player at the expansion draft and would still be considered exempt.  He wouldn't be a 3rd-year pro until the 2020-21season actually starts.

When he becomes a 3rd year pro shouldn't matter I will have completed two years as a pro I thought that is all that had to happen to qualify him. 

I will look into this.

Unless you know for certain.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Ok I found it seems you're right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a run by Ratcliffe and his team....captained them to the OHL title!!!!! Congrats big guy!!!!

D6ZOPFHW4AAYpAL.jpg

Ratcliffe finishes third in OHL playoff scoring with 30 points, including 4 points (2g, 2a) in today's win in Game 6.

Two goal game to LEAD his team to the win!!!!!!! AWESOME NEWS!!!!

No go get that Memorial Cup win!!!!!!!!