Trading Simmonds to go after Panarin

RonJeremy

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned about that. If you assume in a couple of years:

Panarin - Couturier - Giroux

JVR - Patrick - Voracek

Lindblom - Frost - Konecny

First, you pulled off some sort of coup with what you gave up to trade for Panarin (Or you signed him in free agency, which would be a plus). Secondly, that Frost line is going to get some very favorable matchups, and both Frost and Konecny are dynamite skaters who should be able to capitalize on that.

Taking Giroux off the LW doesn't make much sense to me.  That's his office right now.  It's his office on the PP and he's make it work perfectly as a C/LW with Coots on the top line.  If you bring in Panarin, you're bumping Lindblom to the 4th line.  

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I have his rookie card in my office, it says RW.

not that that means anything. 

LW is his office.  To me, he stays there no matter what.  

I like Panarin, but I don't know that Hextall and company are likely to focus on him.  He's an all around great player, scores a lot of goals, sets up a ton of goals.  He's a 26 year old all but guaranteed to give you 30 goals and 40 assists and he doesn't fill any specific holes in the Flyers Roster right now and he's going to command an enormous salary.  

If they can clear the 7 million plus it's going to take to bring him in (probably for 7 or 8 years) it essentially means giving up on other assets like Lindblom and Ratcliffe.  It also doesn't fill their biggest hole at FW (3C) unless you use it to push Giroux back to Center and Coots to 3C which (besides being a mistake for G IMHO) in turn blocks assets like Frost from getting a shot.  

I don't see this happening.  I see Hextall trying to work out a sweetheart deal for Simmer which I kinda hate on Simmer's behalf because that man has earned his big fat paycheck, but will probably be best for the team.  

Maybe the Flyers goalie woes and idiot coach will do them in by Christmas and Simmer can just be on the trading block, who knows.  Either way, I think Lindblom and Ratcliffe along with JVR and Giroux are now the team's long term plans for LW and I'm kinda okay with that.  

I don't want to lose SImmonds for nothing, but if we're going to move him, it should be for something we can use.  

If Simmonds resigns for like 6 for 4 years, I'll be happy for me and for the Flyers, but disappointed for him.  

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well you could replace Frost with Rubtsov....

That's a HUGE step down, IMHO. 

I like Rubtsov, but I think Frost is going to be a special player. 

Or were you replacing Frost with Rubtsov in the trade? Do it. 

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That's a HUGE step down, IMHO. 

I like Rubtsov, but I think Frost is going to be a special player. 

Or were you replacing Frost with Rubtsov in the trade? Do it. 

Not saying they would go for it....however we know it's a pipe dream...

...i must say i like the forward line up as it is...and i'm holding out hope Frost could steal the 3rd line spot.

So i am cool holding tight.

....letting the the not so great contracts (Lehtera, Weise, Neuvy, Elliott , Mcdud and Gudas) run out and see where they are...

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I'm not going to begrudge him if he decides to make $36M

before he retires rather than $24-$28 million. 

And hopefully if it means that much to him i hope he likes doing it on another team. I wish him well and i hope it's out West he goes then...

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

And hopefully if it means that much to him i hope he likes doing it on another team. I wish him well and i hope it's out West he goes then...

You're telling me it wouldn't mean that much to you?  Assume you're playing for another team other than the one you grew up loving and following.  

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

You're telling me it wouldn't mean that much to you? 

Not as much as it would be to play with guys i already love and help build to get this far.

If i sign for 24-28 million to go with the 23.8 mill he has already earned.....somehow i could live with earning close to 50 million...

..it would be hard...

...ramen noodles and all every night to go with beanie weenies just to put food on the table...but i would manage. 

Oh the agony....

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not as much as it would be to play with guys i already love and help build to get this far.

If i sign for 24-28 million to go with the 23.8 mill he has already earned.....somehow i could live with earning close to 50 million...

..it would be hard...

...ramen noodles and all every night to go with beanie weenies just to put food on the table...but i would manage. 

Oh the agony....

Hey, I like Ramen noodles. 

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

..it would be hard...

Oh the agony....

Joking aside, when we talk about moving on to what's next in life, I'd have bigger ambitions for that and would want to start with as much as I could.  

Even living a modest lifestyle, there are a lot of people one could help with $12million.  

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Me too except they are bad for you... :beer:

Depends.  You get them from a nice noodle shop once in a while, they're fine.  You get 'em from the grocery store and eat them every night, you're going to die of scurvy before long probably. 

Unless that's Corona you're drinking and you've already swallowed the lime ;)

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Depends.  You get them from a nice noodle shop once in a while, they're fine.  You get 'em from the grocery store and eat them every night, you're going to die of scurvy before long probably. 

Unless that's Corona you're drinking and you've already swallowed the lime ;)

Lime or not they are full of MSG and that sh it will kill you.

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Joking aside, when we talk about moving on to what's next in life, I'd have bigger ambitions for that and would want to start with as much as I could.  

Honestly i can't say what is in Wayne's head....and what he is thinking about for the future...no matter what i think we'll know by the trade deadline next season...by then Ron will have to make a call one way or another no way Wayne walks into free agency leaving the Flyers holding their nut sacks...

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

That is true but Panarin is the dynamic finisher the flyers have lacked for years.  

Panarin's more well rounded than just a finisher. He scores as much, but less on the PP than Schenn did or Simmonds and he gets more assists than either. 

Had they not just signed JVR or if either one played on the right side, I'd be more interested in him.  

As things are I'm far more concerned about Morin getting healthy and reaching his potential and figuring out who's going to be the goalie (spoiler alert, it's Hart, but will that be this year or sometime in the next two?)

Not completely irrelevant is that I'd rather not send Simmonds to a divisional opponent either.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

That is true but Panarin is the dynamic finisher the flyers have lacked for years.  

I'd trade Simmonds for him straight up tomorrow, but someone will have to learn to play RW and that scares me and I don't want to give up additional assets.  

My overriding sentiment is just that I don't think Hextall sees Panarin as fixing anything wrong with the Flyers.  Just improving things that are already good... which isn't a bad thing.  Just not where I'm guessing Hextall's head is.

Archived