Mired in mediocrity - Flyers are tops

brelic

Well, well, well. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we-checked-50-years-of-sports-history-to-find-the-team-that-stands-out-the-least/

For fans seeking long-term mediocrity, the Philadelphia Flyers might be a good option, having finished with between 39 and 42 wins in four of their last five seasons. (And in the one season they didn’t, they still racked up points for a league-leading 18 overtime losses, which could easily have turned into ties — aka the best possible outcome for fans of .500 play — under the NHL’s old standings system.)

According to our algorithm, no team in major pro sports has been more consistently mediocre over the past five seasons than the Flyers, although they narrowly edged out the NBA’s Washington Wizards — another great pick if you want to watch dependably so-so basketball.

The true downside of mediocrity is not just a mediocre product on the ice, but getting a mediocre draft ranking. Even though Hextall and co appear to draft very well, Nolan Patrick was a true gift that definitely revved up our rebuild. 

That being said, I'd rather be a fan of a mediocre team like the Flyers than a dreadful one like the Oilers, who FINALLY got a franchise player after like 9 tries. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Well, well, well. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we-checked-50-years-of-sports-history-to-find-the-team-that-stands-out-the-least/

The true downside of mediocrity is not just a mediocre product on the ice, but getting a mediocre draft ranking. Even though Hextall and co appear to draft very well, Nolan Patrick was a true gift that definitely revved up our rebuild. 

That being said, I'd rather be a fan of a mediocre team like the Flyers than a dreadful one like the Oilers, who FINALLY got a franchise player after like 9 tries. 

Well can't argue with that. Mediocre. And i didn't even have to look at stats to know that.

All i had to do is watch them...which i painfully have.

And it all started which has been mentioned a million times when they got rid of Richie and Crater!!!!!!!

And then let Bryz run Bob out of town....and been sliding ever since.

However i have hope still because of the "mediocre" if they call it that drafting and signing by Hextall.

I feel it is turning around.

They have their (fingers crossed) franchise goalie and cornerstone defenseman as well as their potential #1 center...

...still being groomed.......and the forward and defenseman coffers brimming with untapped potential.

Now i think is a good time to be a fan. They are getting close. So now we just need to hold on for the final strokes.

I must say i'm as excited as i have ever been as a Flyer fan since the early 90s. Guess we'll see soon.

I just posted another thread assessing Hakstol's first three seasons. They are, yes....mediocre.  The talent level, on paper, should be better this year.  We might have true secondary scoring and improved D.  Whether Hakstol manages that talent is another story.  The Hakstol-Hextall experiment is entering the fourth of a contractual five years. As I've said before, we are approaching the point where patience will no longer be a virtue.  

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I just posted another thread assessing Hakstol's first three seasons. They are, yes....mediocre.  The talent level, on paper, should be better this year.  We might have true secondary scoring and improved D.  Whether Hakstol manages that talent is another story.  The Hakstol-Hextall experiment is entering the fourth of a contractual five years. As I've said before, we are approaching the point where patience will no longer be a virtue.  

I agree for sure. That said, I honestly hope the two aren't seen as being a package deal. I've quite enjoyed Hexy as a GM. The team should absolutely be better this year imo. If they're not, I expect much of the blame will lay at Hakstol's feet. 

On 8/30/2018 at 3:34 PM, brelic said:

Well, well, well. 

This article is just stupid.

The fact is that over the time period they're talking about the 76ers have been one of the worst teams in sports.  For the Flyers over the past 5 years, being mired in mediocrity has been the alternative to being utterly terrible for 5 years.  Somehow the Flyers have managed to remain at a mediocre level of competition while unloading or enduring horrible cap sucking contracts and replenishing an utterly depleted farm system now ranked one of the best if not the best in the league.  The Flyers are on the verge of being excellent and the fact that they've only been Mediocre for the past 5 seasons to get them here is fairly astonishing and should be respected and celebrated.  

43 minutes ago, King Knut said:

This article is just stupid.

The fact is that over the time period they're talking about the 76ers have been one of the worst teams in sports.  For the Flyers over the past 5 years, being mired in mediocrity has been the alternative to being utterly terrible for 5 years.  Somehow the Flyers have managed to remain at a mediocre level of competition while unloading or enduring horrible cap sucking contracts and replenishing an utterly depleted farm system now ranked one of the best if not the best in the league.  The Flyers are on the verge of being excellent and the fact that they've only been Mediocre for the past 5 seasons to get them here is fairly astonishing and should be respected and celebrated.  

I think that's the whole point, though. 

Both the best teams and worst teams are remarkable for how good/bad they've been. The mediocre teams, on the other hand, just kind of get lost in the shuffle precisely because they are mediocre. It's not a statement on the future of the teams they looked at, but just which team has been the most *mediocre* over that time period based on a specific list of criteria. 

It was a slow news day lol!

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think that's the whole point, though. 

Both the best teams and worst teams are remarkable for how good/bad they've been. The mediocre teams, on the other hand, just kind of get lost in the shuffle precisely because they are mediocre. It's not a statement on the future of the teams they looked at, but just which team has been the most *mediocre* over that time period based on a specific list of criteria. 

It was a slow news day lol!

Statistics people just love to explore and play with numbers too.  And I don't mean sports Stats guys - though they're often the same people.

All i know is i am hoping this new slew of kids will put all this behind us.

The talent pool is brimming with potential talent.

Now it is time to just put it all together gell build some chemistry and let the chips fall were they may...it's a good time to be a Flyer fan future looks bright.

Archived