Coyle - Yay or Nay?

Fargocase

Coyle - Yay or Nay?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is this Coyle's year to exceed expectations?

• Yay
    • Nay

Coyle's numbers this year will be terrible if BB continues to make him go out there with Greenway and EEk.  For some reason I was under the delusion that BB would give Coyle a chance to do better offensively by giving him an opportunity to do well instead of screwing him and precluding success. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had some strong opinions of Coyle in the Wild Message Boards and based on the first few games I haven't seen anything to change my mind. We might as well trade him although like someone's already mentioned, I don't think he's been properly used. He might still blossom but when. We've already waited for quite a while.

And I'd really hate to see him go since he's one of our better prospects and we're stuck with some really old players. Then again, how long do we wait for him to figure out his future lies in playing as a power forward and not trying some fancy stuff near the boards.

I think the problem is not isolated with Coyle, it is Coyle playing in this team. Was/is he misused? Probably. Now he's passed the age when a eventual outburst can be expected, and I'll always be in this kind of "yeah great play, but... coulda/woulda, etc." thinking about him.

The best case would be to have him make a good season, and then then try to ship him while his value might go up. And I'm sure that he can do well elsewhere. But again, would it be profitable for the Wild, given the anchor contracts stuck to the team? Somehow, Coyle is getting collateral damages coming from these issues. Wrong timing, wrong team...

2 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

I think the problem is not isolated with Coyle, it is Coyle playing in this team. Was/is he misused? Probably. Now he's passed the age when a eventual outburst can be expected, and I'll always be in this kind of "yeah great play, but... coulda/woulda, etc." thinking about him.

The best case would be to have him make a good season, and then then try to ship him while his value might go up. And I'm sure that he can do well elsewhere. But again, would it be profitable for the Wild, given the anchor contracts stuck to the team? Somehow, Coyle is getting collateral damages coming from these issues. Wrong timing, wrong team...

I think you are hitting the nail on the head with this take. I would also add in that Coyle, although not his fault, was over valued/hyped as something he really isn't. I think he would be better off playing to what his strengths are but stuff like that was lost years ago as it seems for some reason the Wild need to try and mold players into something they are not instead of playing to these players strengths. My guess is that if he did go somewhere else where they play to players strengths he would look pretty good. Look at Haula and Tuch. They played to their strengths and look fantastic.

I'm frustrated with Coyle and am convinced we've already seen what he has to offer. A very inconsistent player(a teaser) who has had some very good moments--and not all that many of those--I swear he'll disappear for 10-15 games at a time. Boudreau has given Coyle multiple opportunities to succeed since he's been coach, and CC hasn't produced. How many chances do you give a guy? But the Wild doesn't have many options regarding the roster, so he'll probably get more favorable linemates at some point. Although it probably won't do much good because CC doesn't seem to have the ability to adapt quickly to switching line combinations, and IMO that may be his biggest issue.

Coyle's value won't necessarily be indicated by points this year.  I don't think he will collect many points but there are other ways he can contribute.

I've thought it for years, Coyle's main weakness is he's too "nice."  He needs a much greater degree of "meanness."  He's a really strong player and a strong skater, he could be significantly punishing guys physically out there but he doesn't have the killer instinct, the ruthless No Mercy mindset he needs.

Archived