Two years away from being two years away

brelic

On 11/15/2018 at 6:46 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Sure.

But if those teams look out there the players have the leverage.

I am sure if they can't work something out before the trade deadline then those teams could make a move to plan for that.

All I know I really don't want to go into next year with Elliott or Neuvy penciled in the be the starter. I hope Hextall has a better plan.

Praying!

If Neuvy gets resigned, we can all chip in for Hextall's straight jacket.

If Elliott gets resigned, I can't imagine it would be for more than a 32-35 game backup role.  His injuries are piling up too much for him to be considered a load carrier. Not like Neuvy's which have become utterly absurd, but enough.

The real shame of all of this to me is Stolarz.  Two years ago, that guy looked like our legit #2 of the future.  The kind of #2 who could step in for long stints if needed.   Right now, between Hart (who needs the reps) and Lyon (who's needs to be ready to get called up) Stolie just isn't getting ice time to see where he is.  He's only had three games and at the very least, he's gotten significantly better in each game.  I'm I'm Hextall, I'm asking Gordon to get Stolie a few more games while Lyon is up with the big club to see if he's actually coming back strong or not.  

We'll see how Lyon has progressed for the Flyers.  I don't like his style.  He's not a "sound" positional goaltender, but the one thing I can say about him is that he works very hard to improve things he does wrong.  He was significantly better in his second stint with the team last year.  

As for the off season, I think we'll definitely see something.  

If I'm Hextall, I'm targeting Varlamov or Cam Talbot.  At this point he shouldn't be afraid long longer term because if Hart or Sandstrom or Tomek or whoever comes along, he should be able to deal either one for at least three years to come at the deadline or something and worst case, they'll make good backups at 35 (see Ryan Miller or Roberto Luongo).

If however he fails to get one of these guys, don't despair completely.  I actually would feel pretty good about bringing in the likes of Anders Nilsson or Keith Kinkaid for two years to at least play as well as Jeff Hackett or Marty Biron did.

That path necessitates your kids coming into things more prominently, but it should pan out better than Elliott / Neuvy have and certainly better than Elliott / Neuvy AGAIN would. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/16/2018 at 5:30 PM, Podein25 said:

Yeah I get that. I'm just saying, based on the heat maps alone, you'd think we should win that game. But we lost. Therefore, what it shows is that our goaltending is crap. It's just kind a funny that's all. I'm all about the heat maps. They're like art. 

The heat maps from this game in particular should show that the Flyers took WAY too many low % shots from the point.   

Actually no, it wouldn't.  Heat maps only reflect unblocked shots.  

It almost worked on the JVR interference goal, so it's almost like they completely abandoned the slot for the rest of the game because hey... that goal that almost happened came from the point!  Let's keep doing that.    Yeah, they hit a lot of posts when they did take slot chances (or in when slot chances bounced right to them on rebounds) and that's a bummer, but if your slot chances are ringing off the post and your slappers from the point are consistently getting stuffed by the traffic in front... which would you try to do more? 

This was the most frustrating Flyers game of the season for me.  They controlled the flow of the game and dominated many aspects of puck possession and metrics, but what they did with that was to just play right into the Devils hands and basically shut themselves down.

I'm pretty sure Elliott hurt himself earlier and only realized how bad it was on the wrap around goal that took him out of the game.  Elliott didn't have a great night, but we all know he's going to have bad nights sometimes.  

Frankly, he still played well enough to get them the win if the team wasn't being so dumb in the other end.  

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

We'll see how Lyon has progressed for the Flyers.

I hope starting tonight. I'm not going to judge him much on last year. He gets a clean slate with me.

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If Elliott gets resigned, I can't imagine it would be for more than a 32-35 game backup role. 

Myself i wouldn't be happy with that. I would prefer to move on.

16 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If I'm Hextall, I'm targeting Varlamov

I would be down with that, however with the Avs having no plan B (no way Grubauer is a starter Sakic ain't that dumb) and the way he is playing this year i can't see them letting him just walk.

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Cam Talbot. 

So at his age would he be a clear upgrade over Elliott???

Elliott is sporting a 911% right now.

Talbot is sporting a 888%

Career Elliott 913%

Career Talbot 917%

So sure Talbot is slightly younger but will be 32 at the start of next year.

To me it would be like doing Elliott over again.

So there has to another way. Has to be.

Is there not a free agent option out there say in the KHL or SHL or DEL maybe wanting back in the NHL for a year or two??

I will have to look later i am about to walk out the door.

Just my 2 cents on the concerns in net.

Hey here is too Lyon answering some question tonight!

Go Flyers!!!!!!

On 11/14/2018 at 2:32 PM, brelic said:

Just looking at some top teams and how many guys under 22 they have - 

Nashville (1)

Columbus (2)

Tampa (4)

Toronto (4)

Minnesota (2)

Boston (5)

Winnipeg (4)

NY Islanders (2)

San Jose (2)

Vancouver (4)

It's not how many young players you have, it's how good the players are that you have and whether they're improving.  :) 

I also recall the Flyers making an unexpected playoff appearance a few seasons ago, while the Leafs toiled away at the bottom of the East standings again (prior to drafting Matthews).  So even when the Flyers were in a rebuilding mode, they could make the playoffs. The Leafs were dead and done by December every year until the past couple years. 

The Leafs went to the bottom and stayed there for a long time. By contrast, the Flyers never ever hit bottom. They've been languishing as a playoff bubble team and I think that hurts their chances of acquiring the kind of franchise players needed to turn things around. With the way the draft lottery system works, you have to hit bottom in the NHL to go back up again. 

Having a bunch of mediocre young players isn't as good as having one or two really good ones. We went through that in Toronto with JVR, Bozak, Kessel, and company and every year the result was the same.   :)

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's not how many young players you have, it's how good the players are that you have and whether they're improving.  :) 

Yes, of course. I agree.

The point I was trying to make, though, is that there is a not-insignificant portion of the Flyers fanbase who keep calling for more youth, more playing time, and that Hakstol is anti-youth in some way.

I looked up our composition and compared it to others, and turns out it's not true. And I believe there is such a thing as too much youth and inexperience at the NHL level.

And the truth is that Patrick and, say, Konecny are not nearly as good as Matthews and Marner. So that will obviously have a HUGE impact on the team performance.

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Leafs went to the bottom and stayed there for a long time. By contrast, the Flyers never ever hit bottom. They've been languishing as a playoff bubble team and I think that hurts their chances of acquiring the kind of franchise players needed to turn things around. With the way the draft lottery system works, you have to hit bottom in the NHL to go back up again. 

Also agreed... and as I mentioned in my previous post, Patrick != Matthews or Laine. We lucked into a #2 overall pick, and it was in a down year again in terms of top level talent. Even Marner has contributed a lot more and a lot sooner than Patrick.

Luck of the draw, I guess!

12 hours ago, brelic said:

I looked up our composition and compared it to others, and turns out it's not true. And I believe there is such a thing as too much youth and inexperience at the NHL level.

Funny you should mention that. I can remember a time when young players had to "learn" the NHL game to be successful. Today they just seem to enter the league and play as good as the league's best players immediately, assuming they were ever at that level to begin with. It's bizarre. 

There's basically no learning curve in the NHL for forwards, a 5-year learning curve for defencemen, and maybe a 3-year learning curve for goalies. Either a player can handle the speed of the NHL game or they can't. So you basically know what you have when you bring a rookie in and evaluate them for a season or two, especially if they're forwards. If they're going to be something special, it's going to happen in year one or year two or not at all. 

:)

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Looks like it finally paid off...you guys picked to right year to tank draft high...

Prior to the fantastic tank job of a few years ago, the Leafs used to play for 8th and finish 9th. 

The middle of the NHL standings is the "dead zone".  :)

20 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Prior to the fantastic tank job of a few years ago, the Leafs used to play for 8th and finish 9th. 

The middle of the NHL standings is the "dead zone".  :)

As been said the 2 years the Flyers had the 2nd pick and there was never a Shanahan, Pronger, Malkin, Laine, Doughty or Seguin type there to be had.

Just their luck.

Archived