Flyers Trade RFA Stolarz for UFA Talbot

King Knut

11 minutes ago, brelic said:

I agree that Hextall seemed to have a knack for pulling out maximum value in trades. I mean, there are a few duds, like the Hartnell trade. But yeah, he was pretty savvy in that department. 

But, he was also slow to act and overly patient, while Fletch’s “bias for action” is starting to show. Sure, they’re mostly small tweaks here and there, but he’s doing something, and that’s what Homer and Scott wanted. Weise, Lehtera, Weal = gone. Hak = gone. Myers and Hart = NHL. I think Myers being called up is telegraphing a move on defense. 

It’s the upcoming high value trade opportunities that have me worried with this guy - Simmer, Ghost, Gudas, Voracek. You should be able to get top assets if you move those guys. We’ll see. 

I agree with you man. You're absolutely right in that Hexy was too timid when it came to some things, and frankly I'm very happy we're done with that whole list of hasbeens and nevergoods. That said, I still think Fletch could have and should have gotten more out of this trade. I'm not saying he should have McDavid coming back, but not even a pick or anything -- cmon. Fletch basically just did Edmonton a solid, and they took him with a handshake.

Is it the end of the world? No, it's not. Again, Stolarz and Talbot are basically interchangeable imo. What it does is tell me this guy may not have the same level of backbone Hexy did. And I'm not about to like that.

Hopefully he makes some very savvy moves at the deadline and brings in a top quality coaching staff in the off season. He still has two strikes to work with.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's one thing to remember about playing in a losing environment - it sucks the life out of you. Look at how Steve Mason was terrible in Columbus through all the years of losing. Even when they acquired Bobrovsky, he was still awful. Mason goes to Philadelphia and he turns it around. Same with Talbot. You spend years in an environment where players are content with losing, don't take things like practice or game plans seriously and it becomes a hard environment to survive in. Talbot coming to Philadelphia should be an awakening for him. Now, there's still a lot of work to be done in Philadelphia, but at least the players there care, are buying into what Gordon is selling and losing bothers them. 

As for Stolarz, it sucks to see him go. I've followed him from his time with the London Knights up to now and always thought this organization kind of gave him the short end of the stick. He never complained though and was a solid foot soldier. I hope he does well in Edmonton and puts everything together. 

I get that Fletcher did a solid for Edmonton and he didn't need to let them off the hook. At the same time, he also did Stolarz a solid by moving him to an environment where he'll play more. If you look at the history of the Flyers, that's something they've done for a lot of players.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

No, Fletch, you're not in a playoff chase.

Hello they are 7 points outside the last wild card spot.

With the next 5 games against East teams 3 of which which are games against teams they are trying to catch and pass.

That is a playoff chase. It's an uphill battle sure but like it or not today then are still in it.

Do they get there?? Probably not but i would count them out and say they have no chance.

I get that he's part salesman, and that he was hired to somehow "right the ship", but maybe if he had a more accurate read on the situation, he would have pulled something back from Edmonton in this trade.

How do you know he didn't??

Talbot might be the extra he pulled back from the trade...what if he regains his vezina form from a few years back??

I think it is way too soon to say how this works out. It is like the Schenn trade maybe. You have to wait to see how it ends up.

And what if he plays outstanding....there is a chance it could happen...Stolie has his issues mentioned in this thread many times already.

Optimism is great and useful folks, but when you're heading up an NHL franchise, being smart is far more important than being hopeful. I want a guy who can properly assess their current situation and make moves to address it.

It would be you should try it sometime. Too soon for all the negative stuff.

Right now yeah you could say you're not happy with it. Just give it time, at least let the guy play first.

Plenty of time to call this a failure later and who knows they can walk away this offseason if it don't look good.

In time it may be that Fletcher was doing Philly a favor guess we'll see soon.

But don't let me stop you you're entitled to your opinion and i am mine.

The best part is the get a test drive before dipping their feet in the free agent market for a goalie....maybe they have their man.

54 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Fletch basically just did Edmonton a solid, and they took him with a handshake.

Sorry for my last post i should have read through before posting because Brel said everything pretty much that i wanted and end up saying...again.

However Fletcher did the Flyers a solid. He move a kid with 19 NHL games for a guy with 284 NHL games.

That to me was a win.

Especially when you think about Stolie extensive injury history.

I think the Flyers are still very much concerned with his still existing knee issues.

Stay with me here what if when he settles down and next year regains just his form when he last backed up Lundqvist??

Wouldn't you be happy with a backup with these numbers??

36 games played: 21-9-0-4 926% 2.21 5 shutouts

Hell i now i would i would be ecstatic because that with a good year from Hart should put them well into the playoff hunt. 

Let's just see where it goes.

31 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I get that Fletcher did a solid for Edmonton and he didn't need to let them off the hook.

As you stated in your post what if he did Philly a solid.

What if in a year it looks like he fleeced the Oilers and what if Cam rebounds and we say damn he should have sent Stolie AND  a draft pick for Talbot....if he regains his form from hs last year backing up Henrik it could end up being that.

Time will tell.

I will say this of all the teams ahead of the Flyers the Canes look like the biggest obstacle to try and get around.

They are playing some damn good hockey lately and Curtis Mcelhinney is playing the best hockey of his career.

He is 7-1-0 since it turned 2019.

Looks like the Leafs maybe should have kept him and traded Sparks. 

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Only if he enjoys being a backup.  

He got to climb out of the clown car in Edmonton. If that's not a win in this world, I don't know what the hell is.

On 2/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, OccamsRazor said:

A good opinion on what it's like to be a young goalie in the NHL.

I love Boosh and I think trading him was one of the worst mistakes the Flyers have made for both themselves and for the player... and having Beezer around would have been good for him, but the larger problem was that a team decimated by the loss of Lindros and significant cames lost to injury from the likes of Lindros and Keith Jones (who had to retire) and Boosh himself.  

Boosh can blame the loss of his mentor, but I more formally blame the team for being in shambles and handing over the reigns to Cechmanek... doing so for the first year might not have been a terrible idea because his insane style (never met a shooter he wanted to be square to or a rebound he wanted to make controllable) was certainly better suited for a chaotic roster in desperate need to stabilization.  Plus giving Boosh more time to recover from his knee injury would have been good too.  

But by the next season when they brought in JR and Kim Johnsson, younger guys like Gagne, Willy and Rusty started settling in and Primeau started to establish his role as captain and one of the best two way centers in the league, an smarter coach would have seen what Cechmanek was doing to their play in their own end and how that was damaging the transition and really pushed harder to re-establish Boucher as the #1 guy.  

That hurt Boosh more than anything IMHO.  A better mentor would have helped him keep his confidence, but then again, a mentor type goalie backing up up wouldn't have been legit competition anyway.  

The usurping of Boucher and his trade to Phoenix seriously damaged the development of the most promising goalie the franchise had produced since Hextall or Lindbergh before him.  

By the end, I still think Boosh was traded because he made those comments during the ridiculous series against the Senators in '03.  A year later after multiple melt-downs and Hitchcock finally taking over (though he had his own problems) and seeming to have enough of the BS in the defensive zone, the team made it to game 7 of the ECFs with Robert Friggin' Esche.  

Because square to the shooter is almost always better than flopping no matter how acrobatic and highlight reel like the flopping may be.  

Archived