Wild vs. Lightning 3/7/19 @ 6:30PM CST at Amalie Arena

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Lightning Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (32-27-8)  72pts  5th in the Central

2.76 Goals For Per Game (25th in the NHL)

2.87 Goals Against Per Game (12th in the NHL)

20.7% Power Play (14th in the NHL)

80% Penalty Kill (17th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #11 Zach Parise ~ 24G 31A = 55pts

2. #12 Eric Staal ~ 19G 27A = 46pts

3. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 7G 36A = 43pts

4. #46 Jared Spurgeon ~ 12G 27A = 39pts

5. #16 Jason Zucker ~ 17G 17A = 34pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #36 Nick Seeler ~ 49 PIM’s

2. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 44 PIM’s

3. #29 Greg Pateryn ~ 37 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (26-21-6)  2.60GAA  .911%SP  1SO

2. #32 Alex Stalock (6-6-2)  2.98GAA  .896%SP

Vs.

Tampa Bay Lightning (51-12-4)  106pts  1st in the Atlantic

3.84 Goals For Per Game (1st in the NHL)

2.61 Goals Against Per Game (4th in the NHL)

29.3% Power Play (1st in the NHL)

85.3% Penalty Kill (1st in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #86 Nikita Kucherov ~ 31G 77A = 108pts

2. #21 Brayden Point ~ 37G 44A = 81pts

3. #91 Steven Stamkos ~ 34G 45A = 79pts

4. #77 Victor Hedman ~ 9G 33A = 42pts

5. #9 Tyler Johnson ~ 22G 17A = 39pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #13 Cedric Paquette ~ 70 PIM’s

2. #86 Nikita Kucherov ~ 52 PIM’s

3. #37 Yanni Gourde ~ 49 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #88 Andrei Vasilevskiy (31-7-4)  2.24GAA  .931%SP  6SO

2. #70 Louis Domingue (19-5-0)  2.92GAA  .908%SP

I wrote up the game preview, MNSOTA will be on the post-gamer for this one.  The Lightning are a winning machine.  Kucherov doesn't get talked about nearly as much as he should as the league's best player because I think he should be a part of that conversation.  If you like fast, skilled high scoring hockey...the Lightning are the team to watch.  That being said, can the Wild not only avoid being blown out, but can they eek out a win?  Its going to be Minnesota's toughest road test yet IMO.  Enjoy and discuss...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more time this season, I will feel like a Mom watching her two sons go at it with this one.

Bolts are a firm Stanley Cup favorite, while Minnesota is fighting just to get in the playoffs.
Tampa Bay is set up to win not only this year, but for years to come.... the Wild may have many questions after this season moving forward.

As good as the Lightning are, sometimes they seem "bored" by their competition on some nights..... others, teams give them their very best (because EVERYONE wants to beat the best team in the NHL) and the games then get a playoff feel to them (vs. Winnipeg, Calgary, Boston, Nashville, San Jose, etc).

Here is hoping the Wild come ready to play, ready to give the Lightning a stiff test....hell, maybe even pull out a win.

But honestly, I won't root either way on this one tonight.
I am first and foremost a Lightning fan (since 1995) while Minnesota is my adopted team since 2005, but may the better and more prepared team win tonight.

If the Wild truly do play up to their competition, then they should be sky high for this game.

Have at it boys...….just errrrr, no injuries please...on either side. 

59 minutes ago, wildstars95 said:

if the wild are going to meet the lightning in the finals they better figure out the power play....🤨...scratch the finals part🤣

Indeed the Wild will need to figure out their PP... the Lightning, as skilled as they are, can also be one of the more aggressive and agitating teams in the league. Which means, TB may be called for more penalties than people think in this game...which DARES Minnesota to score on the PP.

And the TB PK units are dangerous as well....so no %$#@ing around on the PP by Minnesota. 

Anthony Cirelli, Mat Joseph, and Adam Erne usually man the PK units...and those guys, especially Cirelli, kill penalties with an eye towards a short handed break all the freakin time!

On the flip side, the Wild will need to definitely not take stupid penalties themselves. Bolts PP is lethal. Absolutely  lethal. 
Their second PP unit would easily be a first PP unit on most other teams.

Minnesota does seem to have become a faster team even after the questionable trades made (some are actually working!), so they at least should be able to skate stride for stride with the Bolts.

Watching Ryan Donato's speed against the large, mobile defenders of the Lightning should be an especially fun match up.
Zucker, Granlund, Spurgeon...… yea, their speed will need to be peak.
Errrr, insert Fiala above.... :bigteeth:

I also want to see how BB and the Wild manage dealing with the Lightning 4th line of Erne-Paquette-Joseph/Callahan.
They aren't a typical 4th line.... yea, they will hit, bash, trash talk and agitate....but they are also good enough to be a legit scoring threats.

As for a Finals....well, lol.... a MIN-TB Finals WOULD be my dream match up, but I know that isn't happening this season....unless a miracle happens and Christmas comes early to St. Paul.... ;)

I was listed as a gamne-time decision, but have decided to watch Edina Vs. Moorhead (and hopefully catch the 3rd period from Tampa). 

Call it a gut feeling, but I expect one of the Wild's forgotten leaders, Stanley Cup-winner Eric Fehr, scores a big one tonight....

2 hours ago, Icechipper said:

I was listed as a gamne-time decision, but have decided to watch Edina Vs. Moorhead (and hopefully catch the 3rd period from Tampa). 

Call it a gut feeling, but I expect one of the Wild's forgotten leaders, Stanley Cup-winner Eric Fehr, scores a big one tonight....

Well because of the Tourney, I have the post-game, because LIG is watching the Edina-Moorhead game online. It will be the same thing tomorrow. Although, here's something strange. Tom Chorske has to work in the FSN studio tonight, while his kid is playing for Edina tonight. LIG was surprised, but my response was "his kid plays for Edina and probably figures they'll be playing in the final."

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

EEK with a shot at Vasilevskiy just now....but no dice.

Wild will need to learn quickly.... Vasilevskiy gets just about EVERYTHING down low.... teams usually beat him going high over either shoulder.

Eek didn't miss by much!

So I picked up a new pair of Bookshelf speakers and they arrived today. Granted the box was open and one half of the box was basically ripped apart. Not sure how people can handle packages so poorly. Also package was shipped in it's own box so it said exactly what it was on it. But at least the inside was packaged properly and the speakers were undamaged.

2 minutes ago, Megawild said:

Eek didn't miss by much!

True...but then, that's what this game is all about...a bit this way, you're good, a bit that way, you aren't....and Vasilevskiy more times than not is on the right side of that thin line...especially if the shot isn't elevated.

Archived