Wild sign Gophers goaltender Mat Robson

hf101

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it would be more as insurance since he isn't young that if he goes down injured your season doesn't go down with him too.

It's always good to have someone to push him and someone there over his shoulder so he knows if he doesn't play well he could lose his job without that well I don't think you can get the most out of your starter.

And besides you need to be planning for when it's time to put him in the pasture.

Not waiting till he is in the pasture to say ok what do we do now.

Finding a solid goalie to take over for the long haul isn't easy.

Even drafting and developing one takes years.

Dubnyk wasn't injured this season and the Wild's season is quickly circling the drain like a turd after eating a gas station burrito...

And no one is going to push Dubnyk, because he's got his fat $6M/year contract and NTC and he knows that. He's probably going to retire in two seasons after this last contract anyways, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't care if he starts or not. He get's $6M/season whether he's standing on his head, letting in softies, or opening the door. I know what you're saying, but Dubnyk's got his safety net. If the Wild had a two-headed monster situation like they used to have with Fernandez/Roloson, or Harding/Backstrom or Dubnyk didn't have a NTC, then yeah, you could get someone to push him. But now?

And the Wild have been drafting goalies, just none of them have turned out. 

Ales Stezka

Kaapo Kahkonen

Alexandre Belanger

Steve Michalek

Johan Gustafsson

Matt Hackett

Darcy Kuemper

Kuemper finally showed some signs of life this year in Arizona. And maybe that Finlander will prove he's the real deal. But the rest of them just never panned out.

12 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

And no one is going to push Dubnyk, because he's got his fat $6M/year contract and NTC and he knows that.

His annual salary is 4.33mill with a cap hit of 5 mill for next year and the following year so that isn't that bad and his NTC is a modified one where he can list 19 teams he doesn't want to go to so that is movable if need be.

12 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

And the Wild have been drafting goalies, just none of them have turned out.

Sounds like yall need to reboot your scouting department. I know the GM gets a lot of the blame because he does make the decision.

However most times he is only as good as the info he gets from them and yeah sure he gets to watch them some himself but ultimately it could down to the recon info.

You get bad recon info and like it was in the Gulf when i was over there some people are coming home in a body bag....sure i know hockey isn't to that extreme but bad intel can ruin you.  

It is why i still am giving Fletcher the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this upcoming draft because the Flyers solid scouting department is intact besides losing Pryor. So we'll see on him after the draft.

It is why as you stated the Wilds bad attempt to draft a goalie i like adding Robson because he was a freebee all he cost is a contract and time. Time will tell on if the seed will yield fruit.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sounds like yall need to reboot your scouting department. I know the GM gets a lot of the blame because he does make the decision.

However most times he is only as good as the info he gets from them and yeah sure he gets to watch them some himself but ultimately it could down to the recon info.

You get bad recon info and like it was in the Gulf when i was over there some people are coming home in a body bag....sure i know hockey isn't to that extreme but bad intel can ruin you.  

It is why i still am giving Fletcher the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this upcoming draft because the Flyers solid scouting department is intact besides losing Pryor. So we'll see on him after the draft.

It is why as you stated the Wilds bad attempt to draft a goalie i like adding Robson because he was a freebee all he cost is a contract and time. Time will tell on if the seed will yield fruit.

The Wild's scouting department is terrible. And Fletcher kept hanging on to those goofs. I was hoping Fenton would clean house, but he really didn't. He got rid of Flahr, but that's about it. Guy LaPointe is still head of scouting.

The Athletic just did an article on teams with the most successful scouting departments, and the Wild ranked 25 out of 31 teams. So they're not good. But as far as I can tell, Fenton hung onto most of those deadbeats.

I don't have a problem with them picking up Robson. Like you said, cost them nothing. And they have no one in the system other than Kahkonen, so they needed to do something...it's not like they spent a first round draft pick on him, like, say, Filip Johansson...:sick:

2 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

The Athletic just did an article on teams with the most successful scouting departments, and the Wild ranked 25 out of 31 teams. So they're not good. But as far as I can tell, Fenton hung onto most of those deadbeats

Image result for scooby zoinks gif

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Filip Johansson

Hey he is only 19 still so there is time for him to mature and improve his stock.

He needs to master Allsvenskan before being bumped up to the SHL.

But i get your frustration, because i think Jacob Bernard-Docker or even Rasmus Sandin whom you both passed on is a not so hot move.

Image result for scooby zoinks gif

On 3/21/2019 at 12:49 PM, IllaZilla said:

The Wild's scouting department is terrible. And Fletcher kept hanging on to those goofs. I was hoping Fenton would clean house, but he really didn't. He got rid of Flahr, but that's about it. Guy LaPointe is still head of scouting.

The Athletic just did an article on teams with the most successful scouting departments, and the Wild ranked 25 out of 31 teams. So they're not good. But as far as I can tell, Fenton hung onto most of those deadbeats.

I don't have a problem with them picking up Robson. Like you said, cost them nothing. And they have no one in the system other than Kahkonen, so they needed to do something...it's not like they spent a first round draft pick on him, like, say, Filip Johansson...:sick:

Yea, I noticed the scouts jobs appear to be safe...sadly.  I don't get it.  Not one bit.  

Archived