Wild sign Gophers goaltender Mat Robson

hf101

Ronson's 2 year contract will start immediately and he will report to the Wild for the remainder of the season however he us not eligible to play in the playoffs. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Ronson's 2 year contract will start immediately and he will report to the Wild for the remainder of the season however he us not eligible to play in the playoffs. 

Wow so they are burning a year of his entry level i guess to sign him?

Flyers did the same with Lyon and Vecchione.

8 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

I'd love to know how much Fenton is boozing on the weekends. His morning afters sure are vivid!

Why this is a good signing.

Wild need someone to push Kaapo Kahkonen in the AHL this is a low risk high reward type possibility.

And if need be you have another call up with waiver exemption. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Why this is a good signing.

Wild need someone to push Kaapo Kahkonen in the AHL this is a low risk high reward type possibility.

And if need be you have another call up with waiver exemption. 

Uh um... tongue in cheek. This is a non-factor signing just like those fringe D-men he keeps acquiring. Won't see a minute with the Wild just like the rest of the goalie corps the Wild has. Unlike you guys in Philly.

11 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Won't see a minute with the Wild just like the rest of the goalie corps the Wild has.

Um sounds a little negative and premature to be calling that on a 22 year old kid fresh out of college...give the kid a year or two to develop before all the sky is falling stuff bro....plenty of time for that. Man and i thought Flyer fans were negative.

This guy is a pretty decent goalie. IMO we'll be seeing him somewhere in the NHL after some development time in Iowa.

Wouldn't this move give the Wild an extra goalie available for the Seattle expansion draft?

11 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

This guy is a pretty decent goalie. IMO we'll be seeing him somewhere in the NHL after some development time in Iowa.

Wouldn't this move give the Wild an extra goalie available for the Seattle expansion draft?

According to Cap Friendly Robson is exempt for the Seatle draft.

Well, if this guy is even half way decent with upside, then its a good signing.

Reminds me of when the Lightning had ZERO goaltending and they went about signing goalies with even a hint of upside, till they finally got ahold of Ben Bishop, then Andrei Vasilevskiy.

Not saying this Robson guy is going to be like Bish or Vasy (or he might be better...who knows), but point being, the Wild are smart right now to start looking for guys to replace the current goaltending tandem....even if they do have a promising one in their system already.

Nothing's guaranteed, especially with goalies, I think we all know that, so the more goalies the organization has (again, guys with at least a legit shot to be good...NOT just minor league fodder), the better the chances at least one, maybe two will pan out.

I agree with @OccamsRazor here.... low risk, possible high reward, and its good that Kahkonen in the minors doesn't get complacent and realizes he really does need to be good...or he can be replaced.
Keeps things competitive and high end.

(shrugs)  Hammond has played well enough for Iowa, enough to push Kahkonen in his first season.  As for Robson, he's another goaltender in the system.  

Robson usually gets a fair amount of goal support in his time with the Gophers, but he also has been left out to dry a lot by their young defensive corps.  I am not really excited about this signing.  But its a goaltender...there aren't many goaltenders I like to begin with.  

Since a Flyers fan brought it up, I was hoping we'd sign Alex Lyon back when he became available.  I thought it was odd he chose to go with the Flyers considering the log jam of young goalies there. 

The Wild need more viable goalies in the system because as far as developed goalies there really isn't anyone else worth talking about BESIDES Kahkonen to this point.  Baribeau can't stay healthy or seem to keep his starting job since shortly after we signed him and Stezka is struggling on a backwater Euroleague team.  

As far as the Flyers fans whining and complaining about our negativity?  If you don't like it, you can stay on your board where you have plenty to bitch about there.    

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  Hammond has played well enough for Iowa, enough to push Kahkonen in his first season.  As for Robson, he's another goaltender in the system.  

Robson usually gets a fair amount of goal support in his time with the Gophers, but he also has been left out to dry a lot by their young defensive corps.  I am not really excited about this signing.  But its a goaltender...there aren't many goaltenders I like to begin with.  

Since a Flyers fan brought it up, I was hoping we'd sign Alex Lyon back when he became available.  I thought it was odd he chose to go with the Flyers considering the log jam of young goalies there. 

The Wild need more viable goalies in the system because as far as developed goalies there really isn't anyone else worth talking about BESIDES Kahkonen to this point.  Baribeau can't stay healthy or seem to keep his starting job since shortly after we signed him and Stezka is struggling on a backwater Euroleague team.  

As far as the Flyers fans whining and complaining about our negativity?  If you don't like it, you can stay on your board where you have plenty to bitch about there.    

He was pretty much spot on IMO. Many of us are big-time whiners...

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Hey don't let me stop you.

Whine away.

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, if this guy is even half way decent with upside, then its a good signing.

Reminds me of when the Lightning had ZERO goaltending and they went about signing goalies with even a hint of upside, till they finally got ahold of Ben Bishop, then Andrei Vasilevskiy.

Not saying this Robson guy is going to be like Bish or Vasy (or he might be better...who knows), but point being, the Wild are smart right now to start looking for guys to replace the current goaltending tandem....even if they do have a promising one in their system already.

Nothing's guaranteed, especially with goalies, I think we all know that, so the more goalies the organization has (again, guys with at least a legit shot to be good...NOT just minor league fodder), the better the chances at least one, maybe two will pan out.

I agree with @OccamsRazor here.... low risk, possible high reward, and its good that Kahkonen in the minors doesn't get complacent and realizes he really does need to be good...or he can be replaced.
Keeps things competitive and high end.

Agreed. As more goaltenders we will have among the prospects in our system as more competitive they would be; and as well as more choices we will have. In 19 years of the Wild history we had just 3 - Khoudobin, Kruemper and Matt Hackett, which had some promise. And now Kahkonen.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man and i thought Flyer fans were negative.

Heh, It's just that time of year here in Minny...Every year.

Dirt covered snowbanks, Potholes everywhere, Flooded basements...and something else......

Oh Yeah, The Wild bumbling around the 8th seed.:P

Robson is a legit goalie prospect and a good signing for the Wild.  He's got a very good glove and is always in the right place to make the save.  While he won't wow you with the miraculous saves very often, he is sound, stable and very even-keeled.  He's got a legit chance of playing in the NHL in a year or two...IMO.

6 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Heh, It's just that time of year here in Minny...Every year.

Dirt covered snowbanks, Potholes everywhere, Flooded basements...and something else......

Oh Yeah, The Wild bumbling around the 8th seed.:P

Hell i would take that for my Flyers just to have a dog in the fight. If the Flyers squeaked in they would draw Tampa!!!

Ewwweeeee talk about a slaughter!!!!!! David vs Goliath if there ever was one.

Hey i would take it i enjoyed just the Eagles getting in the playoffs and upsetting the Bears that made my Christmas....it isn't the same around that time without having some playoff football.

Just like i would love some spring playoff hockey...it ain't the same without it. Hope is always good no matter how small it can be.

Are the Flyers making the playoff this year??? I can't see it...their powerplay is dead...not on life support...D.O.A.

Looks like out West you can have a .500 record and make the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Davey J said:

Robson is a legit goalie prospect and a good signing for the Wild.

I agree and it cost you nothing but a entry level contract roll of the dice....who knows how good he can be...

...kid has some good tools to work with. Just stay cautiously optimistic and you can't go wrong....

I have a question about Kakkonen. Since I'm not good with all the in's and out's of the rules with players coming up from the minors.

I know we signed Stalock to protect KK from the Seattle draft. (Which is after next season. ? )

I kinda doubt Seattle takes Stalock but who knows.

So... Does KK stay 1 more season in Iowa and we go with Dubs and Stalock for 2019-20 ?

(Barring injuries of course)

One thing that would be nice at this time of the year, If you've been mathematically eliminated from PO's then you could call up a certain # of players without counting as 'Time served' on their contracts just to get them some NHL time on the ice.

I'm sure the Player's assoc wouldn't go for this tho.

3 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Does KK stay 1 more season in Iowa and we go with Dubs and Stalock for 2019-20 ?

Sure he should, he needs to still develop his game he has some mechanics he needs to work on and the AHL is the place to do it.

He has only had this year to go from the big Euro ice to the north american game...some guys need the time he will be 23 by the start of next year so no hurry.

And since you have given Stalock a new 3 year deal might as well let him play the backup spot.

However his 3 year deal is very movable and it seems you could find a better option...but Wild management seems to like him since they inked him to that deal.

16 hours ago, sweetshot said:

I think they signed Stalock for 3 years because that 3rd year makes him eligible to be exposed in the expansion draft. So I think Stalock will be the one exposed in the draft.

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Um sounds a little negative and premature to be calling that on a 22 year old kid fresh out of college...give the kid a year or two to develop before all the sky is falling stuff bro....plenty of time for that. Man and i thought Flyer fans were negative.

Sarcastic remark. You misunderstood it, it wasn't about him since I have never even heard of him. Aimed at the organization.

The Wild as an organization hasn't handled the goalie department that good the last 5 years. Not negative but realistic. Kind of funny you calling someone negative in the light of the stuff you write in the Flyers section, don't you think? 😉

11 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Sarcastic remark. You misunderstood it, it wasn't about him since I have never even heard of him. Aimed at the organization.

The Wild as an organization hasn't handled the goalie department that good the last 5 years. Not negative but realistic. Kind of funny you calling someone negative in the light of the stuff you write in the Flyers section, don't you think? 😉

It's ok. I can't say I know all about that besides from afar. The sarcasm I missed.

And everything everyone has stated could be right on the mark. I'm just providing a unbiased outside opinion my Flyers have their own dumpster fire to deal with too so more like sharing the pain.

However Hart does provide me some hope.

Archived