Defense: Gudas' value

CoachX

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Depends on what the return is and how critical he is to their success.

I can see your thinking on it, and I dont disagree. However, if I was looking for a vet d-man, and had this corp, Gudas would be the guy I would include in a package. I would not move Ghost .

20 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I can see your thinking on it, and I dont disagree. However, if I was looking for a vet d-man, and had this corp, Gudas would be the guy I would include in a package. I would not move Ghost .

Yeah I would move Gudas for sure I like what he brings a lot but he is not the vet Dman type the Flyers are looking for or needing.

Sure his play has improved however there are just still to many times when he play is down low around his own goal he to has his Mcdud type what the f**k moments...way to often.

So if someone thinks he can be their vet type by all means make me a solid offer...he has come a long way from being a throw in on a Coburn trade.

But it is time to move on from the guy.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah I would move Gudas for sure I like what he brings a lot but he is not the vet Dman type the Flyers are looking for or needing.

Sure his play has improved however there are just still to many times when he play is down low around his own goal he to has his Mcdud type what the f**k moments...way to often.

So if someone thinks he can be their vet type by all means make me a solid offer...he has come a long way from being a throw in on a Coburn trade.

And its only a matter of time before he gets suspended again. Many Flyer fans have lamented our players who have targets on their back because of the sweater they wear.  Gudas is one of those guys. Foolish penalties dont help a young goalie and suspensions hurt the cohesiveness.

Could the 11 pick and Gudas be part of deal that brings in a more suitable veteran? I defer that question to forum members better educated to offer an opinion

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Could the 11 pick and Gudas be part of deal that brings in a more suitable veteran

With alot of capspace and 4 picks in the top 3 rounds and farm system stuff to the gills from top to bottom I think the options for Chuck and what he wants to do are pretty much endless.

That is exciting  as and also scary as f**k at the same time of what could possibly happen...

Edited by OccamsRazor
pray for something good

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Could the 11 pick and Gudas be part of deal that brings in a more suitable veteran? I defer that question to forum members better educated to offer an opinion

Part of the problem for me is one of availability. Vet dman like the type we would really want or need are not traded often. When they are, it's generally because they're no longer as effective as they used to be and their contracts have become a burden. So then you're trading for values that are generally intangible and difficult to gauge (e.g. "leadership qualities).

So the first question I have is who fits the bill as the kind of dman that would benefit our team.

To me, that person would need to be: 

1) someone who at least was noticeably productive in his prime, and who hasn't dropped off a cliff since then

2) someone who won't cost a fortune for the next million years, and essentially force an eventual buyout (Weber)

3) someone who has some reputation for having leadership qualities (since that's the main thing Fletch seems to want)

How many such vet dmen are there in this league? Well, not very many frankly. That's what makes it so difficult when we're wrestling with possibilities. Sure, we have a very good trade chip in Ghost, but Ghost is an elite level player in this league. If we trade him, we better be getting a fantastic return. It's hard to imagine a trade where losing Ghost for another dman who fits the description above doesn't end up in a net loss for us.

As far as Gudas goes, I agree with others in that he's sort of the odd man out right now. He could be part of some sort of package deal if we do bring in a vet dman. Otherwise, my guess is we'll be keeping him until the deadline and basing our decision on whether or not we're playoff bound. Alone he doesn't have much value in a contract year.

Edited by elmatus

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Aside from using his stick like a Ninja Turtle weapon, I honestly felt like he had fewer WTF moments than Ghost or Provo last year.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Aside from using his stick like a Ninja Turtle weapon, I honestly felt like he had fewer WTF moments than Ghost or Provo last year.  

Maybe but he had his share...for the right price he gone.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe but he had his share...for the right price he gone.

I agree, I just think the price might be better than bad.

Also, in losing him, some thought has to go into compensating. 

7 left handed D men?