2019 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview

Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Forwards

Hi folks, its that time of year where we start to really focus on the NHL draft.  This is part 1 of 4 draft focused articles I intend on writing before the 1st round on June 21st.  Like I've done in the past I've identified the Wild's areas of need and have selected 6 players for each of the 3 major position groups.  Check it out and discuss!  

• Like 2

Good read.

I'm still a bit puzzled why the Wild refuse to let Kunin play top line center minutes. Eriksson-Ek I get. He's a third-fourth line center at best because he can't score. But Kunin, I mean, geez. That's all you heard about him is how he likes to shoot and how he scored 19 goals as a freshman at Wisconsin. Yet it seems the team is determined to keep him on the wing in order to keep Staal and Koivu at the 1C and 2C.

This team has so few prospects they really couldn't go wrong with any of those guys. One thing I think will be interesting is if they draft one of these guys, will the Wild let him develop into who he is, or will the team try and change him into a Mikko Koivu clone? Not every player is going to be a great two-way player...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Good read.

I'm still a bit puzzled why the Wild refuse to let Kunin play top line center minutes. Eriksson-Ek I get. He's a third-fourth line center at best because he can't score. But Kunin, I mean, geez. That's all you heard about him is how he likes to shoot and how he scored 19 goals as a freshman at Wisconsin. Yet it seems the team is determined to keep him on the wing in order to keep Staal and Koivu at the 1C and 2C.

This team has so few prospects they really couldn't go wrong with any of those guys. One thing I think will be interesting is if they draft one of these guys, will the Wild let him develop into who he is, or will the team try and change him into a Mikko Koivu clone? Not every player is going to be a great two-way player...

Of those forwards I profiled, only Peyton Krebs didn't have much in the way of doubts about his game or his potential.  The rest all had some major concerns or questionable parts of their game.  I would hope that Fenton isn't obsessed with having a Mikko Koivu clone.  

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Good read.

As its been discussed here and on the old boards.  It is all about not upsetting the highly paid vets.  So we stymie the development of younger players and reduce their role for fear of getting 'Angry Mikko' or 'Angry Suter' or 'Angry Staal'.  To hell with those old guys.  Kunin played pretty well in the AHL playoffs and I thought he performed well for Team USA at the World Championships after that.  IMO, he should be used in a Top 6 role; at least to see if he can handle that kind of workload.  Although Mikko seems to be rushing back (because gasp if someone takes his spot) so I am doubtful he'll get that chance, sadly.  

45 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Of those forwards I profiled, only Peyton Krebs didn't have much in the way of doubts about his game or his potential.  The rest all had some major concerns or questionable parts of their game.  I would hope that Fenton isn't obsessed with having a Mikko Koivu clone.  

Krebs just got his Achilles cut and has to have surgery and has no time line yet on the recovery poor guy.

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Seriously?  Crap.  Well maybe that will help him drop to us.  

Yeah, Russo just retweeted it. Some other players blade went through his cut-resistant sock. Partial cut of the Achilles Tendon. Full recovery expected, but he may not be back until after the season starts. 

https://twitter.com/ByCruickshank/status/1137392180677365761

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Yeah, Russo just retweeted it. Some other players blade went through his cut-resistant sock. Partial cut of the Achilles Tendon. Full recovery expected, but he may not be back until after the season starts. 

https://twitter.com/ByCruickshank/status/1137392180677365761

That's a shame.  I've heard nothing but good things about him.  

2 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

That's a shame.  I've heard nothing but good things about him.  

Well, the only positive to this is that maybe he drops to the Wild at 12...although I don't know how crazy I'd be about spending a #1 on a kid who just has his Achilles Tendon sliced...but if he makes a full recovery, the Wild could have a steal...I mean it can't be any worse than drafting a Swedish defenseman at #1 that no one has ever heard of including the GM of the Swedish National team...

• Uggh... 1

I was thinking the same thing.  Krebs' misfortune might be the Wild's opportunity.  As I told another person on Twitter, Fenton wasn't scared off from Fiala by his broken leg, and I think if he really likes Krebs' game and he's available he'll make the pick.  But is it risky?  Sure, but as I said before...most of the other players on my list seem to have some significant risk to them.  Where they may have one talent / skill that sets them apart but then lots of question marks or sub-par parts of their game.  

Call me crazy, but if he's available at #12 I'd still take him.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Krebs' misfortune might be the Wild's opportunity.  As I told another person on Twitter, Fenton wasn't scared off from Fiala by his broken leg, and I think if he really likes Krebs' game and he's available he'll make the pick.  But is it risky?  Sure, but as I said before...most of the other players on my list seem to have some significant risk to them.  Where they may have one talent / skill that sets them apart but then lots of question marks or sub-par parts of their game.  

It might be a good gamble. Even if he was 100%, he wouldn't be with the Wild for at least two to three years. That should be plenty of time for that injury to heal. And I'm guessing a partial tear is better than a full tear as far as recovery.

But this is Fenton we're talking about here, and so far I have been impressed with neither his talent evaluation nor his managerial skills ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

You're probably right about Podkolzin being gone before #12.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian factor fear doesn't have teams picking 5-11 considering the perceived "safer" bet of a Boldy, Zegras, Broberg, Cozens,  Krebs, Dach, Caufield etc.   And one other possible factor.  I'm guessing that out of the first 11 picks, it's 50-50 that at least one team may end up going slightly off the board.

• Like 1

Find a trading partner wanting #12 and grab Brink with a later pick. Brink trailed only Hughes and Turcotte in USHL U18 points per game. He was ahead of Zegras, Boldy and Caufield. He didn't have the benefit of playing on that powerhouse US USHL team either. Brink had to lead his team in scoring.

Edited by Jagged Ice
  • Good Post 1

On 6/8/2019 at 6:32 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Forwards

Hi folks, its that time of year where we start to really focus on the NHL draft.  This is part 1 of 4 draft focused articles I intend on writing before the 1st round on June 21st.  Like I've done in the past I've identified the Wild's areas of need and have selected 6 players for each of the 3 major position groups.  Check it out and discuss!  

Thanks LIG for posting and the video highlights too. From that list I still would chose Arthur Kaliyev - 102 points(51 goals;51 assists) in 67 games. He is single player on this list who played in OHL and played for a pretty good team Hamilton Bulldogs.  According to the presented video the most important part for me in  his character is a valuable play-making instincts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Thanks LIG for posting and the video highlights too. From that list I still would chose Arthur Kaliyev - 102 points(51 goals;51 assists) in 67 games. He is single player on this list who played in OHL and played for a pretty good team Hamilton Bulldogs.  According to the presented video the most important part for me in  his character is a valuable play-making instincts.

The lack of compete level outside of the offensive zone is really troubling because of the scoring doesn't translate what do you have?  Zip.   Also, the fact he is maybe an above average skater makes me less bullish on him.  

6 hours ago, 4Check said:

You're probably right about Podkolzin being gone before #12.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian factor fear doesn't have teams picking 5-11 considering the perceived "safer" bet of a Boldy, Zegras, Broberg, Cozens,  Krebs, Dach, Caufield etc.   And one other possible factor.  I'm guessing that out of the first 11 picks, it's 50-50 that at least one team may end up going slightly off the board.

I am not sure I'd call Caufield safe...he's an ok skater as a tiny player.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I am not sure I'd call Caufield safe...he's an ok skater as a tiny player.  

Yeah, two strikes against him.  But he can thank his lucky stars that DeBrincat paved the way..   BTW, my reference of "safer" pick was in regards to the KHL factor, both coming and  future leverage (threat)  of returning.

11 hours ago, 4Check said:

Yeah, two strikes against him.  But he can thank his lucky stars that DeBrincat paved the way..   BTW, my reference of "safer" pick was in regards to the KHL factor, both coming and  future leverage (threat)  of returning.

If you're talking about Kaliyev, he's not as much of a threat to be in the KHL since he's an American kid.  But Vasili, its possible but I think he wants to be in North America.  Still, I think he'll be gone before #12 so I didn't think it was necessary to write about him.  

On 6/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, IllaZilla said:

Well, the only positive to this is that maybe he drops to the Wild at 12...although I don't know how crazy I'd be about spending a #1 on a kid who just has his Achilles Tendon sliced...but if he makes a full recovery, the Wild could have a steal...I mean it can't be any worse than drafting a Swedish defenseman at #1 that no one has ever heard of including the GM of the Swedish National team...

I agree with IllaZilla that Peyton Krebs, unfortunately, is not worth for the #1 draft for us, because even a partially sliced tendon is not healing as well as bones do, but usually creates a scar tissue in a place of breakage and always will be a concern on his traumas in that area. We need a healthy, smart, fast and a good size kid capable to read well a hockey game and capable to score a lot.

22 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I agree with IllaZilla that Peyton Krebs, unfortunately, is not worth for the #1 draft for us, because even a partially sliced tendon is not healing as well as bones do, but usually creates a scar tissue in a place of breakage and always will be a concern on his traumas in that area. We need a healthy, smart, fast and a good size kid capable to read well a hockey game and capable to score a lot.

Meh, Krebs will be just fine.  If that scares you off...I guess.  But that doesn't mean I'm now taking Kaliyev for sure.  In fact, I'd rather have Newhook or Lavoie of we decide its too big of a risk to take Krebs.  I almost have all of my draft focused articles finished.  I just need to publish them.  So I'll probably release my next one tomorrow.  

30 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I didn't say I wouldn't draft him at #1, just that I'd be nervous about doing it.

I'd have more of a concern if they drafted someone who only likes to compete at one end of the rink. Or has major skating issues.

And besides, whomever they draft won't help the team for at least 2-3 years.

I do not think that Kaliyev will be available for us and, probably, he will be taken before ours #12 pick. He is just 17 y.o. kid (still has some room to grow physically and mentally; able to learn more). And played not bad this year for the USA U18 team(3 goals;3 assists) in 5 games at Hlinka Gretzky Cup. He also is a gold medal winner in OHL for the 2017-2018 season. Ranked #7 by NHL Central Scouting; #11 by eliteprospects.com.  For many years I am dreaming about a second Marian Gaborik for our team, capable to put consistently for years more than 30 goals per season. That brings more interest/more show/more attraction to the team instead of watching our mainly defensively minded boring style of play. I looked through the 31 top prospects this draft season and only 4 of them had 100 points and more(100-112) last season including Kaliyev. He also is having a pretty good size(6'2";190 lbs) in comparison to other 3. I do not know who is going to be a 1st lucky prospect for the Wild, but like I said before, I really do not want that our Wild organization will pick as #1 or a defenseman or a goaltender.

16 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I do not think that Kaliyev will be available for us and, probably, he will be taken before ours #12 pick. He is just 17 y.o. kid (still has some room to grow physically and mentally; able to learn more). And played not bad this year for the USA U18 team(3 goals;3 assists) in 5 games at Hlinka Gretzky Cup. He also is a gold medal winner in OHL for the 2017-2018 season. Ranked #7 by NHL Central Scouting; #11 by eliteprospects.com.  For many years I am dreaming about a second Marian Gaborik for our team, capable to put consistently for years more than 30 goals per season. That brings more interest/more show/more attraction to the team instead of watching our mainly defensively minded boring style of play. I looked through the 31 top prospects this draft season and only 4 of them had 100 points and more(100-112) last season including Kaliyev. He also is having a pretty good size(6'2";190 lbs) in comparison to other 3. I do not know who is going to be a 1st lucky prospect for the Wild, but like I said before, I really do not want that our Wild organization will pick as #1 or a defenseman or a goaltender.

No way.  Kaliyev will be available by the time we pick.  Most projections have him at #15 or later.  Trust me, there are enough doubts about the other parts of his game he might even be still around after #20.  

2019 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Defenseman

Part 2 of 4, this time with the focus on defenseman.  This class of defenseman is kind of deep with guys who I think have NHL futures.  While I have Harley at #1, in retrospect...I like Moritz Seider a lot more.  I think he checks off more boxes and I've heard nothing but good things about him.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

2019 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Defenseman

Part 2 of 4, this time with the focus on defenseman.  This class of defenseman is kind of deep with guys who I think have NHL futures.  While I have Harley at #1, in retrospect...I like Moritz Seider a lot more.  I think he checks off more boxes and I've heard nothing but good things about him.  

After reading this article, I'd almost go after one of these guys. Based on your descriptions, most of them seemed to have less gaping holes in their games than the forwards that may be available at 12...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1