NHL Rink Size vs IIHF Rink Size

Bigger Hockey Rink?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion on Increasing NHL rink size

• Sure, why not...NHL is moving towards faster, skilled play anyways...go all out
    • No. Leave it as is.
    • Something in between. Slightly larger surface, but still smaller than IIHF regulation

RinkCompare.jpg.c26468d55cfbf5ed86a89c0b80a88ced.jpg

RinkCompare2.jpg.113a3e3d6cf4d17ccc7640b9e9a8f4a4.jpg

We are still quite a ways away from any real hockey action going on, so got to thinking...with the NHL looking at increasing scoring, cutting down on traps, and just overall making the game more offensive oriented, how do people feel about the NHL increasing their rink size to match that used in IIHF competition?
And NO, before anyone gets their pokemon underroos in a bunch over it, I have NOT heard the NHL will be doing this...just something to speculate and opine on.

Anyways, seems to me, since the NHL is slowly taking away the more physical aspects of the game already (and penalizing those old school types who still play that way) all in the name of more offense and flow to the game, why not just go and increase the rink size giving the offensive players more room to create offense?

This could have several advantages...first, skilled players coming in from Europe won't have to "re-learn" anything with regards to rink size. 
We may see a lot less "busts" come in from Euro leagues simply because the players can just do what they do, they ARE good at it, and the game is the same, albeit against better competition in the NHL.

Next, a larger ice surface would definitely do away with lumbering, knuckle dragging defenders....they simply would be outmatched on a surface where the skilled players really DO have the room to skate circles around them.
Defenders would have to be better at playing the man rather than a zone, which should lead to better overall athletes playing in the NHL on the blueline.
Seems the NHL prefers the quick, skilled defenders anyways..."stay at home" bruiser types are becoming a thing of the past.

Third, players will HAVE to be better conditioned and more teams will have to use all four of their lines more often in order to pace players better and have them as fresh as possible in late 3rd period situations.
Again...this should lead to better overall athletes as short winded muscle headed players will no longer be much of a factor in the game.

Yes, a larger surface will lead to less physicality, but then again, with what is going on now as it is, that seems to be the trend......I am just thinking put the ice surface to match with what the rules are trying to get players to do (or not do), and have the proper player prototype out there on the ice.

I actually wish the NHL would leave many things alone with regards to physical play. I get the need for player safety, but seems to me, the league is going a bit overboard on some things, and those things just don't seem to go too well with the smaller North American hockey rink.
Which is why I think instead of "half assing it" just go all out Olympic size rink and let the players evolve from there.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

18 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I voted for "Leave it as is" only because most of the arenas cannot be retrofitted to the extra width of the rink.

You know, I thought of that...the troubles of expanding existing arenas, but if I am not mistaken, all these arenas now are pretty modular.

I mean, they take them apart all the time then put them back together for various events and they are constructed, from the beginning, I believe, so that they can be more easily adapted than rinks of NHL past.

The overall dimensions of the IIHF rink seems like it would impose greatly on current space, but really, it is just a few feet on all sides at a time.

I would think converting arenas would be the least of the problems.

If anything, losing a row or two of "prime seating" might be the bigger issue....teams likely won't want to lose those expensive rink side seats to accommodate the bigger width of a an Olympic sized rink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 7:18 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

how do people feel about the NHL increasing their rink size to match that used in IIHF competition?

I think the game could use a larger ice surface with the speeds the players are moving at now..... however, there's a danger that making the rink larger could further escalate player speeds and ultimately lead to fatal collisions between players. Having a smaller rink sort of "negates" the need for speed, because there isn't as much ground to cover.  :)

And NO, before anyone gets their pokemon underroos in a bunch over it, I have NOT heard the NHL will be doing this

Don't forget Hello Kitty!  lol.  ;)

Next, a larger ice surface would definitely do away with lumbering, knuckle dragging defenders....they simply would be outmatched on a surface where the skilled players really DO have the room to skate circles around them.

Although ironically, scoring diminishes with the Olympic sized ice surface because players are really just farther and farther away from the viable scoring areas. Defenders still occupy the same area on the ice in front of the net that they always do, and while the smaller players buzz around the periphery like hornets, they're never in a position to take a dangerous shot on goal because they're too far out and have no angle.  :)

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think the game could use a larger ice surface with the speeds the players are moving at now..... however, there's a danger that making the rink larger could further escalate player speeds and ultimately lead to fatal collisions between players. Having a smaller rink sort of "negates" the need for speed, because there isn't as much ground to cover.  :)

Don't forget Hello Kitty!  lol.  ;)

Although ironically, scoring diminishes with the Olympic sized ice surface because players are really just farther and farther away from the viable scoring areas. Defenders still occupy the same area on the ice in front of the net that they always do, and while the smaller players buzz around the periphery like hornets, they're never in a position to take a dangerous shot on goal because they're too far out and have no angle.  :)

So, you are worried about Star Trekian warp speed players going so fast, they might go back in time? :shifty: 

Hey, whatever floats your boat... :biggrin:

Interesting point that I never really thought about before.....guess I just thought the defense would go willy nilly all over trying to cover more ground, when the SMART thing would be to just cover the same dangerous zones they would before and the smaller players can skate all they want around the outskirts.
Nice one! 😀

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

So, you are worried about Star Trekian warp speed players going so fast, they might go back in time? :shifty:

Exactly.  :rofl:

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hey, whatever floats your boat... :biggrin:

lol  :dizzysmiley-1:

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Interesting point that I never really thought about before.....guess I just thought the defense would go willy nilly all over trying to cover more ground, when the SMART thing would be to just cover the same dangerous zones they would before and the smaller players can skate all they want around the outskirts.
Nice one! 😀

From what I see, that tends to be what happens. There's more "room" on the ice, but it's room on the "outskirts" so to speak. You're basically skating around where the spectators are normally sitting, so it puts you farther and farther away from the net. While you could blow past a defender on the outside, you have a long way to cut inside to get to the net, and the defenders are just going to choke off access to the front of the net and ignore the area along the side boards.  

• Like 1