Minnesota Wild @ Calgary Flames, Sunday 1-5-20, 6:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

Missed Opportunities Abound in Wild's 5-4 Shootout Loss to Calgary

The Wild let Calgary hang around despite having a pretty shaky goalie tonight.  Then in overtime they get a gift of a power play and then decide this is the time to just hang out on the perimeter.  A missed chance at a regulation win and then throwing it away in OT too.  Foligno, Kunin and Eriksson Ek was their best line.  Good teams take advantage of a team fighting it like Calgary was, instead the Wild gave up an extra point who they are fighting for a wildcard spot with.  Not good enough.  I have full game recap, an Iowa Wild report and prospect news too!  Check it out!  

• Like 1

I used to think it was the coaches fault the Wild have never had a good power play, but now I think it’s the personnel. No matter who has been coaching this team, the power play has been terrible. Slow, deliberate, and way too pass happy. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

(I was watching from afar and not sure who started the SO for us)

Shouldn't a "Hot Hand" get a chance in the shoot out??

Foligno deserved a chance. He's got the hands and a good shot. Also, No idea of what he may do.

Beats fumbling Parise's attempts of late. What 1 SO goal in the last 10 attempts? Seems that way.

Koivu was played perfectly, All somebody had to do is watch a tape of him to disrupt his move. 

Boudreau talks about how bad the specials teams have been. I'd have to think that some-most of that's on you Bruce for putting out the same guys.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I used to think it was the coaches fault the Wild have never had a good power play, but now I think it’s the personnel. No matter who has been coaching this team, the power play has been terrible. Slow, deliberate, and way too pass happy. 

Not to mention, with zero people willing to screen a goaltender or litterally camp out near the top of the crease.  They literally race for a spot along the perimeter.  

2 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

(I was watching from afar and not sure who started the SO for us)

Shouldn't a "Hot Hand" get a chance in the shoot out??

Foligno deserved a chance. He's got the hands and a good shot. Also, No idea of what he may do.

Beats fumbling Parise's attempts of late. What 1 SO goal in the last 10 attempts? Seems that way.

Koivu was played perfectly, All somebody had to do is watch a tape of him to disrupt his move. 

Boudreau talks about how bad the specials teams have been. I'd have to think that some-most of that's on you Bruce for putting out the same guys.

Yea, imagine what may have happened if they had a guy that might actually crash the crease.  Oh wait, the night before...they crashed the crease and we won the game.  As a friend of mine says on Twitter all of the time in regards to the Minnesota Wild, its checkers...not chess!  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Yea, imagine what may have happened if they had a guy that might actually crash the crease.  Oh wait, the night before...they crashed the crease and we won the game.  As a friend of mine says on Twitter all of the time in regards to the Minnesota Wild, its checkers...not chess!  

It is more checkers, but not chess! I think Khovanov might actually consistently crash the crease if he will play in the big club. And I agree with you LIG. I have more interest to those international tournaments when our prospects are playing there. Our single Wild prospect (Khovanov) was shining there, except , maybe the last final game.

Interesting, that our next game will be against Flames again, but in Calgary on Thursday.