Sam Carchidi Article (say what?)

Guest terp

http://www.philly.co...and_better.html

It's still too early and I'm not trying to rehabilitate Carchidi. With that out of the way and on the heels of Wayne Simmonds' best game of the season, it isn't a bad time to take stock. Couturier has opened some eyes with his play of late too. So the return is looking very good right now.

I found Peter Lukko's comment interesting as well:

"Asked if he would make the deals again, it took Peter Luukko a nanosecond to respond.

"Oh, sure," said the president of Comcast-Spectacor, the Flyers' parent company. "I think Peter wanted consistency . . . and he has that.""

Aside from in net, they are a more consistent team.

Edited by terp

The real question isn't how are the trades in half a season, but how do they look for the next decade for LA and Columbus. If they get two solid, top six players who are with the org. at relatively good cap numbers then it works for them.

And it obviously already works for the Flyers.

My take was always that the team got better, younger and cheaper. And that was before the emergence of all the rookies.

How seven GMs passed on Couturier, I'll never know. Florida, Ottawa, Winnipeg and the Isles should be kicking themselves.

The real question isn't how are the trades in half a season, but how do they look for the next decade for LA and Columbus. If they get two solid, top six players who are with the org. at relatively good cap numbers then it works for them.

And it obviously already works for the Flyers.

My take was always that the team got better, younger and cheaper. And that was before the emergence of all the rookies.

How seven GMs passed on Couturier, I'll never know. Florida, Ottawa, Winnipeg and the Isles should be kicking themselves.

Most of the guys these teams drafted are only 18 years old. Sure it's great that Couturier is playing full time in the NHL at 19, but considering the talent these teams all drafted, I doubt they have any regrets.

Most of the guys these teams drafted are only 18 years old. Sure it's great that Couturier is playing full time in the NHL at 19, but considering the talent these teams all drafted, I doubt they have any regrets.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2011e.html

Four of the top 10 are basically full-time players in the NHL in their first year of eligibility: 1, 2, 4 and 8.

"Regret" is certainly too strong a word. "Envious" comes to mind.

As I understand it, Couturier fell from being a potential #1 due to a disclosed illness in his last season in Junior. 5, 6 and 7 better turn out to be some pretty good players.

I liked Snyder's comment...Said club chairman Ed Snider at the time: "We would trade our own mothers if it made us better."

To me, that shows commitment to winning.

There has never EVER been any doubt about the Flyers' commitment to winning. I think anybody who has followed this team over the last 20 years or so would agree with that. It's how they go about doing that what makes many people shake their heads in disbelief.