Bruins’ Tuukka Rask opts out of NHL return to play

Brewin Flames

• Written By Adam Gretz...
  •  

The Boston Bruins announced on Saturday morning that starting goalie Tuukka Rask has opted out of the NHL’s return to play this postseason and will be leaving the bubble in Toronto.

Rask had started the first two games of their First Round series against the Carolina Hurricanes.

The two teams play in Game 3 of the series on Saturday afternoon (12 p.m. ET, NBC).

“I want to be with my teammates competing, but at this moment there are things more important than hockey in my life, and that is being with my family. I want to thank the Bruins and my teammates for their support and wish them success,” said Rask in a statement released by the team.

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney said on a conference call that the team “completely” understands where Rask is coming from in his decision to opt out, and that the organization fully supports his decision, why he made it, and is not totally surprised by it.

Sweeney pointed out that Rask has three children at home, including a newborn daughter and that family has to be the priority. He also added that Rask’s family is safe and healthy and that there was no specific incident that resulted in him opting out, other than that he was having a difficult time being away in this environment.

With Rask now leaving the bubble, Jaroslav Halak will take over the starting goaltending duties for the Bruins.

Halak started one game for the Bruins in the Round-Robin phase, stopping 25 out of 29 shots in a loss to the Philadelphia Flyers. He appeared in 31 games during the regular season, posting an 18-6-6 record with a .919 save percentage.

Edited by Brewin Flames

My opinion....

He's been getting destroyed on social media for his choice, and i can not understand the insane level of hate.

My thoughts are these...

He's is an NHL goaltender, plays a SPORT for a living, and if at this moment his heart and his head choose family over a game, then he has my support.

Yes, the timing of it sucks, but so be it...perhpas his need to be a father and husband FIRST, outweighs playing a game.

I know if he ever chooses to comeback next season, he's gonna get booed right out of town, but not by me. He's been of the the top 5 netminders in this league stats wise for the last 8 seasons and while yes, the cup has been in his grasp 2 times, and he's (the team) has failed, i don't blame him at all for the cup losses....

Family first, always...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

He's been getting destroyed on social media for his choice, and i can not understand the insane level of hate.

It's social media...some of the worse chickenshit motherf**kers on the face of the earth, mouth off something they would never have the balls to say to someone's face...it's full of these worst people on the face of the earth...not all of them but most of them.

It's sad...but at the same time i wouldn't even worry about it. You can never judge a man for doing what he thinks is right for his family.

And F**K the ones who disagree with his right to do so. It's just a game!

• Like 2

It's hard to understand why doing the right thing by your family can be anyone else's business.

That said, Mike Milbury needs to find other work, his comments in the pregame show were so tone deaf. He doesn't know the players and hardly seems like he knows the game anymore.

If Tuuka needs to be with his family he should be with them. full stop.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, mojo1917 said:

If Tuuka needs to be with his family he should be with them. full stop.

So after reading this and i don't care who you are and you DIDN'T leave i can only see you in my eyes as one of two different things you choose which:

1) A liar!

2) A bad dad!

That's it i know i would leave in a heartbeat without question!

What led Tuukka Rask to opt out and leave Bruins, per WEEI's Greg Hill

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/led-tuukka-rask-opt-leave-160824351.html

"I can tell you that he got a phone call in the bubble from his wife, because there was a medical emergency with their daughter," Hill said Wednesday on WEEI. "Basically the kind of situation where I believe Tuukka Rask did what every parent would do and was obviously very concerned.

"It was suggested they seek medical help. Without revealing what that was, because I think I probably should leave that to him -- he did tell me -- as a father of two kids, I would be panicked and alarmed upon hearing that about a young kid."

Hill also said Rask -- who has three daughters with his wife, Jasmiina -- had a conversation with his daughter that factored into his decision to return home.

"He did speak to his daughter and his daughter did express something to him about where he was and what her situation was, which I think would lead any father, any parent, especially one who feels like that's their most important job, parenting, to want to rush to be with their family at that time," Hill said.

"Personally, I can't imagine being away from your family, away from your young kids, hearing your daughter say what she said, and not being panicked."