Flyers Re-up Alex Lyon

Howie58

Well, it looks like Lyon stays on for '20-'21 for $700K:

https://sports.yahoo.com/flyers-sign-alex-lyon-1-180458025.html

I have to wonder if he will ever move up to the NHL for any stretch?  He's shown some good flashes. But he isn't ready for backup to Hart--he remains a solid #3 in the depth chart.  

Edited by Howie58

@Howie58

I think #3 is a generous assessment of Mr Lyon's ability. 

I wonder if he has value beyond his play in LHV ?

He's proving to be the classic tweener. Very good AHL goalie, can't cut it in the show. 

I have always liked reading his interviews though and wonder if his maturity, perspective and leadership keep him around.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@Howie58

I think #3 is a generous assessment of Mr Lyon's ability. 

I wonder if he has value beyond his play in LHV ?

He's proving to be the classic tweener. Very good AHL goalie, can't cut it in the show. 

I have always liked reading his interviews though and wonder if his maturity, perspective and leadership keep him around.

He'll be 28 this year so I think a very 3rd call up goalie is as about as good as he'll ever be.

He just always seems to lose his positioning in the NHL when there is a lot of traffic near his crease and plays small in net at times.

I would rather see Ustimenko get a call up honestly if they need a guy to get a look at him in net if the chance ever arises.

If I am the Flyers I certainly kick the tires of Griess this offseason in place of Elliott too.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Ran out of bourbon

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He'll be 28 this year so I think a very 3rd call up goalie is as about as good as he'll ever be.

Occ and Mojo:

Yep...one year contract with a $50K pay cut says a lot.  Having a steady hand on the farm can't hurt.  You'd like to think that Ustimenko or "other" can make it as an in-house, affordable backup under a tight cap.  

Free agency  in October seems strange. Let's hope this is one and done.  

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

You'd like to think that Ustimenko or "other" can make it as an in-house, affordable backup under a tight cap. 

Well i thought Sandstrom would've been a nice tandem with Ustimenko but man he struggled in the ECHL.

His 885% with the Royals doesn't look inspiring.

It is why is wish they would have brought him over sooner to work on his game in North america but they let him stay over in the SHL on his first year of his entry level contract never understood that and now he seems far behind.

He will be 24 this year so the jury is still out on him not sure if they missed on him yet or not. I guess it took Markstrom awhile before he really showed he could be a capable goalie in the NHL maybe Sandstrom has a good year and gets bumped up.

Looks like the forgotten one Matej Tomek finally found a good spot to work on his game and had a very good year with Trencin and in 32 games played put up 927% i wonder if he works himself back into the Flyers plans with Sandstrom struggling.

Guess will see i'm afraid though Lyon is just another journeyman backup a dime a dozen type of guy.

I just scanned this:

https://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-backup-goalie-options-2020-21/

Scroll down and look over Mr. Fedotov.  Has good numbers in the KHL.  I like a 6 foot 8 prospect.  Shoot, you have him in goal and Morin on D, you begin to take on the Eagles.  Mr. Snyder might like that tandem. 

On 9/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, Howie58 said:

Scroll down and look over Mr. Fedotov. 

Yes another dark horse who will eventually come over for the Phantoms....when i can't say. A 7th round seeded planted way back in 2015.

Seems to be a run on russian goalies....was Hextall ahead of the curve??

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seems to be a run on russian goalies....was Hextall ahead of the curve??

As long as they aren't Communists I'll put up with them, especially with that guy's wingspan....when he kicks out, it covers a poop load of turf..

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Lyon plays a great two periods of hockey in the AHL. I can't tell you how many late goals he gave up in LV the last two years.  I'd rather have Tokarski or even Stolarz.

Well let's hope Ustimenko and Sandstrom has something to say about that.