ECHL and now AHL teams are opting out

yave1964

The Toledo Walleye ECHL club is the tenth team in the ECHL to now opt out for the 2021 season, announcing it last night in a bit of a surprise. But the bigger is the AHL.

Springfield (Blues) Charlotte (Carolina) and now Milwaukee (Nashville) have all decided to not play this season in the AHL. Rumor is that several more are considering cancelling their season including most if not all of the California AHL clubs.

Jesus. this is just insane.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:19 PM, yave1964 said:

The Toledo Walleye ECHL club is the tenth team in the ECHL to now opt out for the 2021 season, announcing it last night in a bit of a surprise. But the bigger is the AHL.

Springfield (Blues) Charlotte (Carolina) and now Milwaukee (Nashville) have all decided to not play this season in the AHL. Rumor is that several more are considering cancelling their season including most if not all of the California AHL clubs.

Jesus. this is just insane.

What I find insane is that the NHL continues to press forward given that Quebec just mandated an 8pm CURFEW (on top of the province wide lockdown that was already in place), and Ontario is likely going to do the same. The OHL is on the verge of cancelling their season (maybe they have already).

I don't see how the NHL is pressing on given the current situation right now. There are over 3000 new cases of covid in Ontario per day. Schools are closed. Students are doing online learning. The US has surpassed 4000 deaths per day.

I'd love to see an NHL season (even if it's shortened).... but how is that possible? Arena workers aren't essential workers. A team of 20 hockey players violates the indoor gathering limits in Ontario. They would have to break every lockdown rule just to play in an empty arena.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What I find insane is that the NHL continues to press forward given that Quebec just mandated an 8pm CURFEW (on top of the province wide lockdown that was already in place), and Ontario is likely going to do the same. The OHL is on the verge of cancelling their season (maybe they have already).

I don't see how the NHL is pressing on given the current situation right now. There are over 3000 new cases of covid in Ontario per day. Schools are closed. Students are doing online learning. The US has surpassed 4000 deaths per day.

I'd love to see an NHL season (even if it's shortened).... but how is that possible? Arena workers aren't essential workers. A team of 20 hockey players violates the indoor gathering limits in Ontario. They would have to break every lockdown rule just to play in an empty arena.

275k cases, 4300 deaths at this pace it will be 2 million cases PER WEEK and more deaths in a week than we have flu deaths in a typical year, just pointing that out to all those who say this is no worse than the flu, at this point it is FIFTY times worse than the flu. Not getting all political, numbers simply dont lie.

My Dad is a life long Cleveland Browns fan, he deserves either an award or to be checked into a mental ward for that, lol. He is so upset over the browns being ravaged by Covid ahead of their playoff game against Pittsburgh but then I pointed out that we have a death in our Country every thirty seconds and suddenly sports do not matter as mcuh anymore.

The hope is the vaccine makes a difference, All we can do is hope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

275k cases, 4300 deaths at this pace it will be 2 million cases PER WEEK and more deaths in a week than we have flu deaths in a typical year, just pointing that out to all those who say this is no worse than the flu, at this point it is FIFTY times worse than the flu. Not getting all political, numbers simply dont lie.

My Dad is a life long Cleveland Browns fan, he deserves either an award or to be checked into a mental ward for that, lol. He is so upset over the browns being ravaged by Covid ahead of their playoff game against Pittsburgh but then I pointed out that we have a death in our Country every thirty seconds and suddenly sports do not matter as mcuh anymore.

The hope is the vaccine makes a difference, All we can do is hope.

I see PROS and CONS to it:

The PRO to playing hockey is to give locked down fans some semblance of "normalcy" so they don't go crazy during these difficult times.

The CON is that it emphasizes a double standard: that rich hockey players don't have to follow the same rules the rest of us do.

It's a tough sell. To watch NHL players going on about their lives making millions of dollars without a care in the world while small business owners lose everything and families struggle to get their kids back in school would be a real slap in the face to middle class people I would think. It would emphasize the disconnect between the NHL and its fans. I'm not even sure who would be watching. A $100/mth cable bill is one of the first things that gets cancelled during tough economic times. So with people having no income (or greatly reduced income), I don't envision many people rushing to get the NHL package, sports package, or any package. Discretionary income moves to 0 when people are living on financial assistance/food stamps/etc.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:44 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I see PROS and CONS to it:

The PRO to playing hockey is to give locked down fans some semblance of "normalcy" so they don't go crazy during these difficult times.

The CON is that it emphasizes a double standard: that rich hockey players don't have to follow the same rules the rest of us do.

It's a tough sell. To watch NHL players going on about their lives making millions of dollars without a care in the world while small business owners lose everything and families struggle to get their kids back in school would be a real slap in the face to middle class people I would think. It would emphasize the disconnect between the NHL and its fans. I'm not even sure who would be watching. A $100/mth cable bill is one of the first things that gets cancelled during tough economic times. So with people having no income (or greatly reduced income), I don't envision many people rushing to get the NHL package, sports package, or any package. Discretionary income moves to 0 when people are living on financial assistance/food stamps/etc.

Agree. Double standards. KHL is playing since last September without any problems. VHL, MHL leagues for youngsters playing since last fall too without any problems. 0 deaths cases for the youngsters against COVID in entire year. Many european leagues, NFL,NBA are still playing. It was made a wrong decision for some teams(for 17-19 y.o. kids) in AHL . 0 cases and 0 deaths cases from flu in entire year, because believe it or not COVID test is positive for the most flu cases too. COVID tests are recording and flu tests are not because they are not existing. Overall wrong deaths numbers. 

On 1/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

What I find insane is that the NHL continues to press forward given that Quebec just mandated an 8pm CURFEW (on top of the province wide lockdown that was already in place), and Ontario is likely going to do the same.

Apparently Doug Ford has discarded that option and let's be honest, I highly doubt a curfew would change anything. Bars, restaurants, etc. are already closed and there's nobody in the streets past 8pm anyway. It was just a "signal" as they called it while acknowledging that there's no studies and scientific evidence of the utility of a curfew in the context of a pandemic.

Being aware that some people will jump on me by saying this but I'm on the pros side of things: at some point we have to learn to live with the virus and walking on this thin unstable line between the sanitary situation and our economic system. Nobody is "designed" to live confined and socially distant without any entertainment for years and the consequences on the mental health is trending to be awfully bad. The season can work is everything is made appropriately with extreme caution and harsh measures and protocols. Like @Alexandron said, most of the pro leagues in Europe showed that it can work given that Covid parameters (cases per population, positivity rates, deaths) are much worse there than in Canada and some parts of the United States. The quicker vaccination campaigns are lead and performed, the quicker we can hope to get back to normal even if it will take time.

• Like 2

Most people will not jump on you, because they are getting exhausted of that situation which affected all parts of our life -economics; sport; cultural events - concerts, theaters, museums; traveling; religion and many many etc.  Agree, we should go back to normal as soon as possible with or even without vaccinations(noone knows how they are effective) because, unfortunately, everything is getting worse and worse.

• Like 1