Jim Rutherford steps down in Pittsburgh

yave1964

Penguins GM Jim Rutherford abrupt;y stepped down with no notice and totally out of the blue. 

He said all the right things, thank you to the organization, Mario, the CEO, blah blah blah. The CEO said Jim was great and he understands and wishes him well, blah blah blah. Hard to fathom what would make him step down a handful of games into a new season. Patrik Allvin becomes the first Swede to take over as GM of an NHL team at least on an interim basis, Allvin has been with the team for fifteen years starting as a scout then head of scouting and most recently as asst. GM.

My first thought was twofold, one of two things, health issues or another deep dark Babcock/Bill Peters scenario because who in their right mind steps down 7 games into a season, especially a Hall of Fame GM? Darren Dreger has reported that he has looked into it and can confirm that health issues did not play a factor in the decision.

Stay tuned.....?

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

He did a good job keeping that team's championship window open.

Won 3 titles. I'd say he's a pretty successful hockey executive. I hope there's no douchebaggery surrounding his retirement. 

And that is what I thought when i heard this, seven games into the season and stepping down out of the blue like this just seems off. I know they have been non factors in the playoffs for several years running now and he may have had some heat on him from above but this is to say the least curious...