Could Trouba be our solution?

SpikeDDS

I liked the idea of Fowler better, but we need a Dman and Trouba wants out of Winnipeg. (I have not heard the reasons why yet.)

might he he be the defensive acquisition that we need? And although I like Fowler better for the immediate, perhaps since this may cost us less and be (potentially) a guy coming into his peak, maybe not a bad idea, depending on what we'd have to give up. 

Talk amonst ourselves....

On 9/24/2016 at 9:39 PM, hf101 said:

@SpikeDDS  you might be on to something here.

What might Winnipeg be asking in a trade?

Probably more than what the Wings would offer. What pieces do they have that the Jets would be interested in, outside of draft picks? Larkin isn't going anywhere (or at least I hope not). Might start with Dekeyser, but that would just put the Wings back in the same position of not having enough good D. Maybe one of Nyquist or Tatar, but I think the Wings would still have to add. 

And in order to get Trouba and sign him, the Wings would have to move salary out, which would mean trading roster players, which Ken Holland doesn't do anymore. It's nice to speculate about, but it isn't going to happen.

52 minutes ago, Haliax said:

Probably more than what the Wings would offer. What pieces do they have that the Jets would be interested in, outside of draft picks? Larkin isn't going anywhere (or at least I hope not). Might start with Dekeyser, but that would just put the Wings back in the same position of not having enough good D. Maybe one of Nyquist or Tatar, but I think the Wings would still have to add. 

I think it would have to be Dekeyser. Elliote Friedmann has said that the Jets are adamant that Trouba's replacement would need to be a comparable left-handed defenseman; they don't want another forward, and they don't want a RD. Salary would end up in pretty much the exact same range, especially if Trouba were willing to take a hometown paycut. Four years younger, too, and it would help the Wings with their leftorium issues.

I would do it if I were the Wings and the Jets were willing.

And in order to get Trouba and sign him, the Wings would have to move salary out, which would mean trading roster players, which Ken Holland doesn't do anymore. It's nice to speculate about, but it isn't going to happen.

That could very well be. Trades like these are rare for a reason.

13 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I think it would have to be Dekeyser. Elliote Friedmann has said that the Jets are adamant that Trouba's replacement would need to be a comparable left-handed defenseman; they don't want another forward, and they don't want a RD. Salary would end up in pretty much the exact same range, especially if Trouba were willing to take a hometown paycut. Four years younger, too, and it would help the Wings with their leftorium issues.

I'd do it too, Trouba is obviously the better option especially in the long run, but it doesn't really advance the Wings D situation that far. It would still be horrible. I also thought Dekeyser had a NTC but apparently that doesn't kick in until next season. So I guess it is possible, just not very likely given the Wings recent trade history.

On 24/09/2016 at 8:12 PM, SpikeDDS said:

Trouba wants out of Winnipeg. (I have not heard the reasons why yet.)

His story is that his development as a RH D-man in Wpg is effectively blocked and he doesn't want to convert to the Left side. I, for one, don't believe him and have said here and elsewhere that I think he wants out of Wpg. Why else would he float a ridconculous $56M contract desire last year? 

This article sums my view up nicely: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/jets-would-send-wrong-message-caving-to-impetuous-players-394737051.html

38 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

His story is that his development as a RH D-man in Wpg is effectively blocked and he doesn't want to convert to the Left side. I, for one, don't believe him and have said here and elsewhere that I think he wants out of Wpg. Why else would he float a ridconculous $56M contract desire last year? 

This article sums my view up nicely: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/jets-would-send-wrong-message-caving-to-impetuous-players-394737051.html

In my experience, when a player says "It's not the city, it's not the team", it's at least one of those things, if not both. I have difficulty believing that, if he wanted to stay in Winnipeg, he would uproot his life and move somewhere else, just because he wants to play defense on the other side of the ice.

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

In my experience, when a player says "It's not the city, it's not the team", it's at least one of those things, if not both. I have difficulty believing that, if he wanted to stay in Winnipeg, he would uproot his life and move somewhere else, just because he wants to play defense on the other side of the ice.

Agreed. I'd have more respect for him if he and his agent just came out and said: "long term, we don't see us staying in Winnipeg, we don't think we will get the $$$ we want there." Instead, this too-cute-by-half thing about being a RH shot.

On September 26, 2016 at 10:41 AM, JR Ewing said:

I have said in he past that DDK is nearly untouchable. However, this would be an acceptable exception in my book as far as willingness to part with him.

I like the idea of Nyquist plus a Dman prospect. We have a number of young Dmen who are not Trouba-level players and we have no place for them unless half our D core gets injured. That is, of course, if Winnipeg would be willing, which they may not be. We can't get him without paying something that hurts, and we have an abundance of these seemingly-second-tier Dmen prospects which could sweeten the deal.

Gotta be mindful of the cap too.

Archived