9 to be retired on the 13th of March...

lynxrattle

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/koivu-jersey-retire-313/c-328296504

How embarrassing is it to have Koivu's number retired... It's like they want to have mediocrity immortalised. 2/11 playoffs series lost, no wins even in the second round, "led" the team as a captain when the room was taken over by a country club attitude.

The fans having to look at that hovering over the ice. Maybe it will work as motivation in a roundabout way: "we were once so bad, that we even had to retire that. We never want to experience something like that again".

I think I'll retire number nine from my vocabulary. I'll just count to ten like "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 omit/vomit 10".

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/koivu-jersey-retire-313/c-328296504

How embarrassing is it to have Koivu's number retired... It's like they want to have mediocrity immortalised. 2/11 playoffs series lost, no wins even in the second round, "led" the team as a captain when the room was taken over by a country club attitude.

The fans having to look at that hovering over the ice. Maybe it will work as motivation in a roundabout way: "we were once so bad, that we even had to retire that. We never want to experience something like that again".

I think I'll retire number nine from my vocabulary. I'll just count to ten like "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 omit/vomit 10".

If they want let's them do it. Never happened in the Wild history. At least one number will be retired. Good or bad # every fan will make his own decision. Some days he was very good and some days he was not good at all. Probably it was his personality and his age affection on his performance lately. But, in general, he always tried to play very seriously and hard according to his ability. No one in the Wild history played as long as Koivu did as well as he was a team's Captain almost from the beginning of his career till the end of his presence in Wild team. Let's be more generous to him, because he was our (fans) part too. 🙂

Thanks Lynxrattle for starting this thread. When I read these news, actually I was happy about Koivu retirement through the Wild organization. I was thinking that they completely forgot about him because he was not playing here since 2019-20 season.

Edited by Alexandron
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Please, do not retire #9 from your vocabulary. It is important # for all our needs. Just imagine we will beat Blues and Avalanche with a score 9:1 or 9:2. Is that possible? Some day yes. 🙂

Well put. I'll leave it for those occasions. If I hear a 9 with a Koivi connection, I'll just turn it upside down to 6. Then it's pretty accurate - in Finnish grade schools the grades are ranked from 4 to 10. The third lowest rank 6 is much closer to Koivu's career being appreciated with the retirement of the number.

You need to be almost perfect to have your number retired.

Edited by lynxrattle
Clicking error

(...) And he will have his jersey retired for sure. 20 Years of history and the only number is still that silly #1 for fans.

It's maybe a borderline comparison, but this reminds me Modano.

• Both wore #9
  • Both spend all (or almost) all their carrier with the same franchise
  • Both generates mixed-feelings in their own team community towards them about their personality. None of them are/were fan favorite.
  • Both have/will have their jersey retired, being like: "Ok, thank you, blah blah blah, good success in the future" and that's it.

Funny thing is, Modano could be the one on the ice for the ceremony.

See, told'ya 🥴

But I didn't expect to be that fast.

I wasn't surprised at all. Doesn't really matter to me, It's just a token. I liked Koivu for many years and he fit the team at that time, but when the league took away his faceoff trick, His value dropped quick.
I really liked his uncharacteristic Roar as he skated past the Canucks bench upon him scoring after his injury.
Hang a #9 next to the #1 but only if you change the #1 to 16,000+ Fans 😅

You retire the jerseys of truly great players.  He was just a good player at best.  I saw someone post a chart of all of the other #9's retired around the league.  Every single one of them was a Hall of Fame player.  

Mikko Koivu is NOT a Hall of Famer.  There is no reason for this team to hurry like this to retire his sweater.  But this franchise sold his myth for so long; there is a whole fan-base of 20-somethings that think he was something he wasn't.  

People want him treated like a legend for the myth that he always was.  

• Like 2