Nader - No fighting in hockey

Guest Latest Hockey News

I've also played hockey and never had a fight.

Pansy.

Kidding! Relax.

You have a lot more faith in refs than me, that's for sure. Were you ever a ref? I bet you were.

Most of the fights today are between 30 or 40 enforcers

Is this true? Like empirically true? I still see lots of real fights. It would be interesting to see what the actual numbers look like. Perhaps a research project for board member @aziz....

@podeine25

"Is this true? Like empirically true? I still see lots of real fights. It would be interesting to see what the actual numbers look like. Perhaps a research project for board member @aziz."

Not even close to true. Their have been 121 players with 3 fights or more and 156 ADDITIONAL players with 1-2 fights. So, total number of players that have fought in the NHL this year is 277.

So, depending which roster limit you want to go by (playing roster- 20 max per team> total 600 all teams) or roster max (23 per team> total 690 for all teams), that means that between 40 - 46% of all players in the NHL have engaged in a fight this year.

Nearly half the league! ha ha

I am 100% positive if I go to AHL numbers that % will be even higher!

source: http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/players/1/reg2012/1/t

Hi....

We were driving home. My grandson had gotten into a small scrap during his game. He says to his brother "Did you see me punch that kid?". His brother says "That kid you hit was a girl.". My buddy was quiet for a minute, and then he says "Well yeah, but she was a big girl.".

• Like 2

Hi....

We were driving home. My grandson had gotten into a small scrap during his game. He says to his brother "Did you see me punch that kid?". His brother says "That kid you hit was a girl.". My buddy was quiet for a minute, and then he says "Well yeah, but she was a big girl.".

I believe in equality..and i would have to imagine she was looking to prove she was one of the guys(team thing). It certainly was nice of your grandson to help her out.

I'm OK with the pansy label, I enjoy gardening and long walks on the beach. But don't ever accuse me of being a ref...

I suspect that dispite our differences on the issue of fighting we could enjoy a beer together or watch a game....just not the Leafs. I don't have a lot of faith in refs today but a change in the rules and some instruction to this group to be more consistent is necessary for fighting to be reduced or eliminated. I still say add a misconduct to every fight. That would get rid of the one-dimensional guys pretty quick and brawls like those in last nights Rangers - Devils game would be gone. But if a player really needs to stick up for himself or his team then he can, but he knows it will cost him to sit out the rest of the game. That means a lot better choices about when fights occur. I think fights would drop to the levels seen in the 60's and I could live with that.

"I still say add a misconduct to every fight."

then the first thing i do every game as an NHL coach is to send my bottom 6 forwards out to jump the top 6 forwards for the other team. not many NHL players will full-on turtle when someone starts swinging at him, they'll at least defend themselves and pick up fighting majors. go ahead and add the 2-and-10 for my guys instigating; in all likelyhood the other team's top two lines eventually dropped their gloves, too.

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc89e6b9" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33399756" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=46840746&width=420&height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc89e6b9" src="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33399756" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=46840746&width=420&height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>