R.I.P. JETHRO

yave1964

Clark Gillies has passed away at the age of sixty seven. Cause of death has not been released as of this time by family.

He was a power forward who had that cool as Hell perm and a look that went from a grin to a snarl when he played, playing alongside fellow hall of famer linemates for most of his career in Bossy and Trottier, he is remembered today for his taking Schultz to the woodshed and anouncing a new brand of power forward, one who could score and would fight if provoked. Looking at his career stats todayI was shocked that in an era when the Tiger Williams or Dennis Polonoch or Dave Schultz types would regularly lead the league with over 300 PIMs a year  that Gillies never once cracked even 100 in a season. He was the ultimate weapon, kind of like Larry Robinson with the Habs, he didnt have a ton of PIMS because just having him as a threat forced teams to play a little softer.

A two time first team all star, a four time Stanley Cup champion, a lot of folks have questioned his HOFer credentials over the years because his numbers were very good but not eye popping, claiming that he went to the Hall because he played in New York and won four cups kind of on the coattails of his more credentialed teammates, but to me he redefined the term power forward in many ways,  becoming one of the best left wingers of his era, IMHO behind only Shutt in Montreal and is deservedly enshrined.

Gillies created The Clark Gillies Foundation, a nonprofit corporation that assists physically, developmentally, and/or financially challenged children. The goal, according to the organization's website, "is to help children improve the quality of life and be of assistance in a time of crisis."
The Huntington Hospital pediatric emergency unit on Long Island has been named after Gillies and his foundation.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Clark Gillies has passed away at the age of sixty seven. Cause of death has not been released as of this time by family.

Jesus.   2022 is like "eff you, 2020 & 2021.  Hold my beer.   And eff you, world; stay still while I pull your hair."

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2