Minnesota Wild vs Calgary Flames, Tuesday 3-1-22, 7:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

https://thesportsdaily.com/2022/03/01/game-preview-minnesota-wild-vs-calgary-flames-3-1-22-700pm-cst-at-xcel-energy-center/

Minnesota Wild (31-16-3)  65pts  3rd in the Central

3.72 Goals For Per Game (3rd in the NHL)

3.08 Goals Against Per Game (21st in the NHL)

20% Power Play (18th in the NHL)

78.7% Penalty Kill (19th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #97 Kirill Kaprizov ~ 24G 39A = 63pts

2. #36 Mats Zuccarello ~ 17G 36A = 53pts

3. #22 Kevin Fiala ~ 17G 27A = 44pts

4. #38 Ryan Hartman ~ 19G 18A = 37pts

5. #14 Joel Eriksson Ek ~ 16G 12A = 28pts

Top 3 PIM's:

1. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 87 PIM's

2. #21 Brandon Duhaime ~ 67 PIM's

3. #38 Ryan Hartman ~ 56 PIM's

Top Goaltenders:

1. #33 Cam Talbot (19-11-1)  2.94GAA  .910SV%  1SO

2. #34 Kaapo Kahkonen (12-5-2)  2.67GAA  .917SV%

Vs.

Calgary Flames (31-14-6)  68pts  1st in the Pacific

3.43 Goals For Per Game (8th in the NHL)

2.43 Goals Against Per Game (2nd in the NHL)

22.3% Power Play (11th in the NHL)

84.5% Penalty Kill (6th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #13 Johnny Gaudreau ~ 20G 45A = 65pts

2. #19 Matthew Tkachuk ~ 26G 33A = 59pts

3. #28 Elias Lindholm ~ 23G 28A = 51pts

4. #88 Andrew Mangiapane ~ 27G 9A = 36pts

5. #4 Rasmus Andersson ~ 2G 27A = 29pts

Top 3 PIM's:

1. #17 Milan Lucic ~ 57 PIM's

2. #44 Erik Gudbranson ~ 53 PIM's

3. #20 Blake Coleman ~ 48 PIM's

Top Goaltenders:

1. #25 Jacob Markstrom (24-11-5)  2.13GAA  .925SV%  8SO

2. #80 Daniel Vladar (7-3-1)  2.86GAA  .903SV%  2SO

Wild 3:2 in OT (or SO). Revenge game on our home ice. I just cannot believe that Flames is unbeatable team for us. I am lot expecting from Foligno especially against Tkachuk . Hartman is not as strong to protect our players. That is his main reason for this team protection, protection and again protection, but not production which is a secondary part of his duty. I do not care how many penalty minutes he gets. Actually we need a couple enforcement players more that other teams will be scared of us. Sadly, Greenway does not fit into this role. To be a tough nut for the team is a goal to play against other teams, because we do not have lots of talented scorers capable to produce any time when need it. I want to see a real physical play, but not a complete Flames domination like we have seen in a previous game.

• Like 1

I'm having mixed feelings towards Kap and Kulikov, as citizens of a country that might attack mine when they're done in Ukraine. I'm also having mixed feelings towards the Wild. At a time like this I really don't want to see a team cowering away from aggression. Sports have teached important values from the ancient Romans to the Aztecs: one should never give up, no matter what.

The Wild burns the Flames 6 - 0.

Slava Ukraini!

Please, no politics in sports. Professional sport is a professional sport and nothing else. No one should suffer in sports as well as in life. Without Russian players NHL will suffer a lot too. And NHL made some statement regarding this situation.

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

Evason on playing Calgary: “That’s the team that outgritted is, that’s the team that outhit us, that’s the team that outplayed us, that’s the team that embarrassed us, so there better be some learning experience.”

Evason on how #mnwild were at practice today: “Pissed off, and we should be. We were embarrassed.”

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I'm having mixed feelings towards Kap and Kulikov, as citizens of a country that might attack mine when they're done in Ukraine. I'm also having mixed feelings towards the Wild. At a time like this I really don't want to see a team cowering away from aggression. Sports have teached important values from the ancient Romans to the Aztecs: one should never give up, no matter what.

The Wild burns the Flames 6 - 0.

Slava Ukraini!

It’s tough for everyone involved. I guess my feeling is that as long as they’re not polishing Putin’s balls like Ovechkin has, I will cast no aspersions. I like that the league is taking the security of Russian players seriously, as we all know Americans are not the sharpest tools in the shed…and the previous administration made this country’s relationship with Russia that much more complicated. 

Okay, done with politics for the night. 

Couple of observations…

First, I will admit that while I was aware of where Calgary was in the standings, I had not watched them play a single minute of hockey this year. I know the sample size is small, not even four periods of play yet, but color me impressed with this Flames team. Hard pressed to find a weakness. This is about to be a bold statement I know, but I think this is the best team in the league I’ve seen. Better than Florida. Better than Carolina. Better than Tampa. Better than Colorado. But that’s just me.

Second, what I’m most impressed with about the Flames, is their physical presence on the ice without sacrificing skill. This is what the Wild need more of, especially on the blue line. I mean, did you see 6’6 235lb Zadorov out race Kaprizov to a lose puck that against most anyone else is a breakaway? Damn! I want Zadorov on my team. Gudbranson 6’5 222 and it goes on from there. 

I’ll be watching this team more when the Wild are not playing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Couple of observations…

First, I will admit that while I was aware of where Calgary was in the standings, I had not watched them play a single minute of hockey this year. I know the sample size is small, not even four periods of play yet, but color me impressed with this Flames team. Hard pressed to find a weakness. This is about to be a bold statement I know, but I think this is the best team in the league I’ve seen. Better than Florida. Better than Carolina. Better than Tampa. Better than Colorado. But that’s just me.

Second, what I’m most impressed with about the Flames, is their physical presence on the ice without sacrificing skill. This is what the Wild need more of, especially on the blue line. I mean, did you see 6’6 235lb Zadorov out race Kaprizov to a lose puck that against most anyone else is a breakaway? Damn! I want Zadorov on my team. Gudbranson 6’5 222 and it goes on from there. 

I’ll be watching this team more when the Wild are not playing.

but we have 4'6  120 lbs spurgeon and addison though 😉

• Uggh... 1

7 minutes ago, wildstars95 said:

but we have 4'6  120 lbs spurgeon and addison though 😉

Don’t get me wrong, I love Spurgeon and Brodin And I think Addison’s gonna be a good one, but we have too many of that type of defenseman. We are not big enough or mean enough on the blue line.

Edited by TallyTigerShark

2 minutes ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love Spurgeon and Brodin And I think Addison’s gonna be a good one, but we have too many of that type of defenseman. We are not big enough or mean enough on the blue line.

I know,  I concur with your observations 👍

3 minutes ago, wildstars95 said:

2 games against the big, strong , fast, hard hitting flames should show billy boy some changes are needed

if not another year older and no sniff of the cup again 😭

Perfect experience for our Wild team. I agree - Flames is the best fantastic team in a league.

From a size and physicality standpoint, we actually matchup pretty good with them on the forward lines. Scan the roster and we are similar in that area. But Zadorov, Godbranson, Anderson and Hanifin are difference makers on the Flames defense with their size AND ability to skate and play the game.