Report: Flyers, Jackets discussing Nash deal

Guest Digityman

PHILADELPHIA -- Could the Flyers be the leader in the race to acquire Columbus Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash? For the third straight game, a top Blue Jackets executive is here in Philadelphia. General manager Scott Howson was in attendance last Saturday for the Flyers-Rangers game and had two long conversations with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren. Blue Jackets senior advisor Craig Patrick was here for Thursday for a game against the Buffalo Sabres, and today both Howson and Patrick are here. Howson again spent time talking with Holmgren prior to the game. Sources tell CSNPhilly.com's Tim Panaccio that the Flyers are listening and having serious discussions about the cost of acquiring Nash. Panaccio speculates that cost could be high. "As for the asking price for a player of Nash’s caliber? Probably Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn,” Panaccio wrote. “But … it may be something else. It may be James van Riemsdyk, another player, plus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. Or a high draft pick besides a player. The Flyers don't want to move Couturier or Schenn, but if I'm Howson, I want both those players." Panaccio reports his source tells him the Flyers are more interested in adding another defenseman, like they did Thursday when they acquired Nicklas Grossman from the Dallas Stars. However, when asked if it was "unlikely" he'd go after a star player, Holmgren paused, and replied: "Unlikely? I don't know if I'd use that word, but probably not something that we're talking about at length."
NHL.com

Couturier and Schenn. No way.

They have an extra center.

If they could flip Schenn, JVR and a 1st for Nash I would pull the trigger.

Nash - Giroux - Jagr

Hart - Briere - Voracek

Read - Couturier - Simmonds

Sestito - Talbot - Rinaldo

Nash & Mason for Bob, Schenn, JVR (no first)

Although I wouldn't mind seeing what Mason could do here, the cap numbers above won't work. We couldn't take 7.8M for Nash and 2.9 for Mason. Our goaltending price tag would even be more ridiculous. Maybe Bryz is in play here.

Nash's real salary is about to ascend. There may be opportunity here.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=586

He's currently 27, so if he doesn't play the deal out and retires, no problem there either. Bryz is due roughly the same amount over a longer period, so it might help Columbus in terms of reaching the cap floor (Bryz got 10m real dollars this season).

I highly doubt it's Bryz for Nash at the core, but stranger things have happened.

Bryz is due roughly the same amount over a longer period, so it might help Columbus in terms of reaching the cap floor (Bryz got 10m real dollars this season).

good catch their doom.....why they are seeking a trade for Nash, now makes much more sense.....most teams sign lengthy contracts starting out high to low.

I think JVR's time in Philly is also coming to a close. This is from Ryan Bright (think he works for CSN now) posting on another message board:

Honestly, I am watching as JVR crumbles in this city just like Richards and Carter. Over the past season, he has become distant and dismissive to the media, saying that outsiders don't get it. He told me one time that he wasn't having a bad season but that people "who don't play the game" don't understand what he's contributing.

He's obviously feeling the heat and getting annoyed by some questioning his character, his commitment and his play. Sooner or later, he's a goner.

He can't handle the pressure. Toast.

Like I said earlier, hold his feet to the fire.. Hold him to his contract. Play him every game until he implodes. It won't be long. He will want out. Maybe he wants out now. Maybe there is a deal in play for him now. Maybe he is having a life crisis. A Breakdown. Maybe he doesn't want to play anymore. Maybe he wants to be a tiger.

@watchthepuck

Eklund for as much bogus rumors he puts out there does get more info on the Flyers that has merit.

Bryz, JVR and a first for Nash and Mason...... get it done Homer.

Let me get this straight - we can unload Bryz, get Nash AND a starting goalie? Hmm, let me think . . . .

If this offer is real, why is it not done yet???

@DarrenDreger

Price too high for Flyers(at moment) for Nash. May re-engage later. JVR,Bobrovski, Schenn or Couturier believed to be part of asking price.

Trying to make up for the Carter trade, no doubt. Nash only makes sense if they take Bryz. It would make the Carter/Richards deals pointless otherwise, IMO.