39 Percent in TV Viewing: Among the Worst in League

Greetings:

I suspect most of you saw this, but the Flyers had among the worst drops in league viewing this year--not that it was a stellar year overall:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2022/05/08/philadelphia-flyers-crash-landing-tv-ratings-tumble-nbc-sports-philadelphia-sports-business-journal/

I am not arguing against those who think the Philly drop is attributable to poor play, or as others have written, a season that's become too long for its own good.  

In the case of the Flyers, I wonder if there are generational and demographic issues?  On the generational side, you can ask if the older fans who came of age during the Cup years (I am in that group) are passing from the scene, no longer in the region, or simply can't afford going on fixed income?

The more serious threat may be America's changing demographics.  I remember when Brian Roberts crowed about viewership, particularly during the playoffs.  It was a predominantly white, 45-64, upper-income group.  Well, that group is shrinking as a percentage of the population.  Take a gander at Florida's low ratings share (despite the year-over-year gain).  Broward County has joined Miami-Dade as a majority minority area.  I can tell you from personal experience--you won't hear much Spanish or see many people of color at a Panther's game--with or without good play.    Writ large, Bettman and the owners need to worry about penetrating "The New America," which might not be easy for a sport that requires fairly expensive equipment and ice team.  

I guess the news about TNT and ESPN/ESPN+ is positive.  Yes, those venues have done a better job than NBC.  But the ESPN+ gig raises an important question--will increased streaming simply cannibalize face-to-face attendance and network broadcast.  Juggling those channels to maximize revenue will not be easy. 

Best,

Howie

7 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I suspect most of you saw this, but the Flyers had among the worst drops in league viewing this year--not that it was a stellar year overall:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2022/05/08/philadelphia-flyers-crash-landing-tv-ratings-tumble-nbc-sports-philadelphia-sports-business-journal/

I am not arguing against those who think the Philly drop is attributable to poor play, or as others have written, a season that's become too long for its own good.  

In the case of the Flyers, I wonder if there are generational and demographic issues?  On the generational side, you can ask if the older fans who came of age during the Cup years (I am in that group) are passing from the scene, no longer in the region, or simply can't afford going on fixed income?

The more serious threat may be America's changing demographics.  I remember when Brian Roberts crowed about viewership, particularly during the playoffs.  It was a predominantly white, 45-64, upper-income group.  Well, that group is shrinking as a percentage of the population.  Take a gander at Florida's low ratings share (despite the year-over-year gain).  Broward County has joined Miami-Dade as a majority minority area.  I can tell you from personal experience--you won't hear much Spanish or see many people of color at a Panther's game--with or without good play.    Writ large, Bettman and the owners need to worry about penetrating "The New America," which might not be easy for a sport that requires fairly expensive equipment and ice team.  

I guess the news about TNT and ESPN/ESPN+ is positive.  Yes, those venues have done a better job than NBC.  But the ESPN+ gig raises an important question--will increased streaming simply cannibalize face-to-face attendance and network broadcast.  Juggling those channels to maximize revenue will not be easy. 

Best,

Howie

You want ratings for hockey, drop the instigator rule and encourage fighting again