Wild 2022 off season

Jimtown guy

1 minute ago, Alexandron said:

I just found that Alex Goligoski will wear a sweater #33 with the Wild this season but not #47. What was the reason? It was his request or a new comer will have #47? Initially I was thinking that because of Gustavsson , but our 2nd goalie number will be #32.

Probably because he wore 33 in his stints with Dallas (2010-2016) and Arizona (2016-2021) and with Cam Talbot now in Ottawa, that number was free for him to claim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Probably because he wore 33 in his stints with Dallas (2010-2016) and Arizona (2016-2021) and with Cam Talbot now in Ottawa, that number was free for him to claim.

Thanks. Very good point. Probably, that was the main reason. And maybe he wants to be retired under this number 33 too.

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I'd say no, and explain to him they don't have to do crap because he's under contract and relish a certain segment of Wild fans who love that "no $%cks given" approach.  Oh wait...that's not how Billy would treat a friend and former teammate now would he?  

Giving him #33 won't help him play any better.  Besides, the team should've retired that jersey for Petteri Nummelin already.  

It is only end of July, so lots of time for things to change personnel-wise, especially after training camps and exhibition is done with to see who actually makes the team, but this is courtesy of DailyFaceoff.com , they updated projected lineups, based on the Wild's transactions to this point.
They do a reasonable job keeping up with things like that, although I HAVE found them behind on an occasion or two.

This particular shot was updated this morning around 10am. You guys can always visit the site periodically throughout the summer to see what's changed.
As projected, lineup is looking very 'grind heavy' with no Kevin Fiala in there, and barring some players replicating their career years from  last season, that is likely what Minnesota will be this coming season.... a grind heavy team. Perhaps a throwback to the earlier Lemaire type teams with Kaprizov playing the role Marion Gaborik had as the team's one true game breaker.

One thing Lemaire's style of Wild teams didn't have that this one does, however, is the young potential in some of the players Evason has who may have unexpected positive impacts on the team moving forward.

One interesting thing about this lineup's defense: Jon Merril isn't listed.
Perhaps he is being projected to be a 7th defenseman, and spending much time in the press box? 
Can't say I'd be saddened by that....

Any way you slice it though, having the NHL Champions in the division, as well as teams like Dallas, Nashville, and St. Louis who all look to remain as highly competitive as possible, it likely will be very tough go for the Wild.

916563129_Wildlineup.thumb.jpg.d68801732b7d69ef74cec0cc47cdad7c.jpg

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

It is only end of July, so lots of time for things to change personnel-wise, especially after training camps and exhibition is done with to see who actually makes the team, but this is courtesy of DailyFaceoff.com , they updated projected lineups, based on the Wild's transactions to this point.
They do a reasonable job keeping up with things like that, although I HAVE found them behind on an occasion or two.

This particular shot was updated this morning around 10am. You guys can always visit the site periodically throughout the summer to see what's changed.
As projected, lineup is looking very 'grind heavy' with no Kevin Fiala in there, and barring some players replicating their career years from  last season, that is likely what Minnesota will be this coming season.... a grind heavy team. Perhaps a throwback to the earlier Lemaire type teams with Kaprizov playing the role Marion Gaborik had as the team's one true game breaker.

One thing Lemaire's style of Wild teams didn't have that this one does, however, is the young potential in some of the players Evason has who may have unexpected positive impacts on the team moving forward.

Perhaps he is being projected to be a 7th defenseman, and spending much time in the press box? 

Any way you slice it though, having the NHL Champions in the division, as well as teams like Dallas, Nashville, and St. Louis who all look to remain as highly competitive as possible, it likely will be very tough go for the Wild.

Absolutely agree. It is going to be a very tough season for the Wild team in a very tough Division. All teams are highly competitive. Just found Nino signed a 2 years contract ($4mln AAV) with Nashville and probably will play together in Granlund line. Mostly I am worry about our production, because Fiala was transfered to other team and no one knows where is Kaprizov now and so far is questionable if he will be available to play for our team. Hopefully Boldy and Rossi will step up in their scoring as well as other players including our defense. I would change Jost to Rossi in line3, because Boldy and Rossi always had a nice chemistry when played together. Lots of our results this coming season will depend also how solid our goaltenders will be. Probably even much more than the last season. 

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Absolutely agree. It is going to be a very tough season for the Wild team in a very tough Division. All teams are highly competitive. Just found Nino signed a 2 years contract ($4mln AAV) with Nashville and probably will play together in Granlund line. Mostly I am worry about our production, because Fiala was transfered to other team and no one knows where is Kaprizov now and so far is questionable if he will be available to play for our team. Hopefully Boldy and Rossi will step up in their scoring as well as other players including our defense. I would change Jost to Rossi in line3, because Boldy and Rossi always had a nice chemistry when played together. Lots of our results this coming season will depend also how solid our goaltenders will be. Probably even much more than the last season. 

Yea, this is contingent on Kaprizov being able to come play.
Hockey aside, of course I am hoping he and his family are ok.

Huge question mark there for sure.
His safety first, then playing in the NHL, in that order.

20 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I do not see at this list not only Merrill but Calen Addison too. He is listed at the Wild team on eliteprospects link for the season 2022-2023.

8 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I do not see at this list not only Merrill but Calen Addison too. He is listed at the Wild team on eliteprospects link for the season 2022-2023.

Yes, I noted Merrill wasn't on here.
As for Addison, he likely starts in the minors, although again, being the middle of Summer, he can easily be added in come the start of the season especially if he has a good exhibition and makes the team right out of the gate.

17 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Tyson Jost 2016 round1 #10 overall played for 6 seasons at Colorado team and with us is going to play a 2nd season. Is he a top-6 potential?

I don’t know. I think Jost is what he is. Plays 80 games for 12:00 minutes a game and gets 20 points. Personally I think he left ND too early. But money talks…

• Like 1

Merrill isn't listed because he's not going to be ready to play at the start of the 2022-23 season.  Greenway might be on that list too.  

I agree with @IllaZillamy expectations for Tyson Jost are relatively low, but he has to get an opportunity to know what we have or don't have.  If you're going to just give him 4th line minutes then its hard to expect more than 30 points.  But if you think there is more there, then give him the time to show you he's capable of that.  I'd like to see him get some time on the power play.  I also agree he left North Dakota too early.  

Minnesota Wild Cap Friendly

I would be surprised if we add another free agent outside of the organization.  Even if we do, it will be a bottom 6 forward or 3rd pairing defenseman.  

What a waste of talent; sort of like Dmitry Sokolov.  Khovanov loved junk food too much and didn't utilize the resources to eat healthy and stay in shape.  And like Sokolov, despite some NHL-level skills he lacked the self control to take advantage of the advice that was given to him many times by Tim Army and Wild player development coaches.  He regularly would eat a hamburger or a cheeseburger before a game and his game suffered because of it.  

The team gave him plenty of opportunities and time to fix it.  But even as Tim Army said, they will only go so far and at some point its time for the player to realize it.  

It's also a cautionary tale for the Wild fans that bought the whole #1 prospect pool hype; it doesn't mean the team still doesn't have talent there but they probably would be smart to temper their expectations before the start planning a parade.  These players have to develop properly or all of their potential won't matter.  

Khovanov lacked discipline on the ice and off of it and despite putting up big points in the QMJHL he also put up lots of PIM's and it wasn't because he was a fighter.  It was lazy penalties and lots of dumb retaliatory penalties.  Khovanov blamed his coaches when he was in the KHL for his lack of playing time; I'm going to guess he's going to say the Wild gave up on him or weren't willing to give him a chance.  

The biggest loss here, is for Khovanov and not the Wild.  The sooner he realizes that and changes his approach the better off he'll be.  

• Like 1

Interesting projected line ups. L1 and L2 are no brainers while 3 and 4 will be a mystery.
Will Boldy get the ice time being on L3 to even be close to his #'s of last season? ...Providing there's even somewhat of decent chemistry with Freddie and Tyson.
I don't buy that Boldy's #'s were just because of Fiala with him. I think Boldy made his opprtunities himself more often. I think L3 will be the key to the teams success this coming season.

2 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Interesting projected line ups. L1 and L2 are no brainers while 3 and 4 will be a mystery.
Will Boldy get the ice time being on L3 to even be close to his #'s of last season? ...Providing there's even somewhat of decent chemistry with Freddie and Tyson.
I don't buy that Boldy's #'s were just because of Fiala with him. I think Boldy made his opprtunities himself more often. I think L3 will be the key to the teams success this coming season.

Well, just remember those lineups can change drastically.

Besides, it is typical for projections to put younger players in bottom six slots until they show they are actually used in top six ones.
Without Fiala (and hopefully NOT without Kaprizov), I can easily see Boldy grabbing a top six position.

That Foligno-EEK-Greenway line they are showing plays more like a 3rd line and if the Wild had a full compliment of top six types, they likely would be a 3rd line crew.

I'm very interested to see what Boldy does in his second year not only because of no Fiala there, but because many times, a rookie player has a pretty good debut season and then for whatever reason, hits the dreaded "sophomore slump".
With any luck and some focus, perhaps Boldy can avoid that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, just remember those lineups can change drastically.

Besides, it is typical for projections to put younger players in bottom six slots until they show they are actually used in top six ones.
Without Fiala (and hopefully NOT without Kaprizov), I can easily see Boldy grabbing a top six position.

That Foligno-EEK-Greenway line they are showing plays more like a 3rd line and if the Wild had a full compliment of top six types, they likely would be a 3rd line crew.

I'm very interested to see what Boldy does in his second year not only because of no Fiala there, but because many times, a rookie player has a pretty good debut season and then for whatever reason, hits the dreaded "sophomore slump".
With any luck and some focus, perhaps Boldy can avoid that.

Being that he was so comfortable at this level already, I would think he 'd be able to avoid that slump. As long as He doesn't try to do too much.
Rossi on the other hand I could see it happening if/when he gets a full season in. Hopefully not.

I was surprised by the Grief line being slated as L2 🤔 but like you said, The uncertainty of L3 and L4 combos the 'projectionists' slid Foligno's line to L2.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:27 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

What a waste of talent; sort of like Dmitry Sokolov.  Khovanov loved junk food too much and didn't utilize the resources to eat healthy and stay in shape.  And like Sokolov, despite some NHL-level skills he lacked the self control to take advantage of the advice that was given to him many times by Tim Army and Wild player development coaches.  He regularly would eat a hamburger or a cheeseburger before a game and his game suffered because of it.  

The team gave him plenty of opportunities and time to fix it.  But even as Tim Army said, they will only go so far and at some point its time for the player to realize it.  

It's also a cautionary tale for the Wild fans that bought the whole #1 prospect pool hype; it doesn't mean the team still doesn't have talent there but they probably would be smart to temper their expectations before the start planning a parade.  These players have to develop properly or all of their potential won't matter.  

Khovanov lacked discipline on the ice and off of it and despite putting up big points in the QMJHL he also put up lots of PIM's and it wasn't because he was a fighter.  It was lazy penalties and lots of dumb retaliatory penalties.  Khovanov blamed his coaches when he was in the KHL for his lack of playing time; I'm going to guess he's going to say the Wild gave up on him or weren't willing to give him a chance.  

The biggest loss here, is for Khovanov and not the Wild.  The sooner he realizes that and changes his approach the better off he'll be.  

I would blame first on American hamburgers and cheeseburgers especially made from black Angus meat. Why they are so tasty? I just checked Khovanov's height and weight. 5'11"  and 198 lb respectively, which are pretty good for his age. We have seen heavier players with this height. Secondly,you made a perfect point. I would blame on coaching staff and gm on not giving him a chance same as to Sokolov, Lodnia, Menell, Mayhew, Tuch and many others we had seen. It seems coaching staff and gm did not make a good connections with those players. Khovanov already signed with Bars Kazan (VHL -Supreme Hockey League). Sokolov also is playing there and had last season 27 goals;20 assists in 43 played games. Both are too young and not giving them a chance to play a full season in AHL but only few games is frustrating. I even not saying about Lodnia relations with the Iowa Wild club.

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

I would blame on coaching staff and gm on not giving him a chance same as to Sokolov, Lodnia, Menell, Mayhew, Tuch and many others we had seen. It seems coaching staff and gm did not make a good connections with those players. Khovanov already signed with Bars Kazan (VHL -Supreme Hockey League). Sokolov also is playing there and had last season 27 goals;20 assists in 43 played games. Both are too young and not giving them a chance to play a full season in AHL but only few games is frustrating. I even not saying about Lodnia relations with the Iowa Wild club.

So it's the coaches fault the player could stop stuffing his face with cheeseburgers?

Please.

All of those guys you mentioned were given chances.

Sokolov had chances but was constantly out of shape and thought playing defense was beneath him. There's a reason he was a 7th round pick. And he's not even playing in the KHL now. I suppose the KHL coaches are holding him back?

Lodnia couldn't/didn't earn a roster spot with Iowa despite playing for Dinamo Minsk the year before. Same team Mennell played for. But Mennell scored 38 points to Lodnia's seven. Maybe the Wild wanted him to play for the Heartlanders to get more ice time? Just because you put up points in the OHL doesn't mean you don't have to earn your spot. And 8 points in 38 games in the AHL is not that impressive.

Menell put up decent numbers in Iowa but then wanted a one way contract with the Wild when he became a UFA. The Wild wouldn't do it and let him walk and he has managed to play for the Toronto Marlies and the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, neither of which are in the NHL.

Mayhew put up great AHL numbers but was unimpressive with the Wild and now is on his fourth NHL team in three years: Minnesota, Philadelphia (waived!!!), Anaheim, and now Florida. Mayhew is what he is at 29: a career AHLer.

You can't say the Wild never gave Tuch a chance because he was sacrificed to Vegas so the Wild could keep Dumba.

Khovanov shows up out of shape and when the coach tells him to lay off the cheeseburgers he thinks he knows better? If he's not going to listen to the coach when he says "You need to take better care of yourself" what makes you think he's going to listen to the coach when he's on the ice? It sets a bad example for the rest of the team if the coach expects the rest of the team to follow conditioning protocols but Khovanov can do whatever he wants because he can't help himself around cheeseburgers?

All these guys you are going on about haven't stuck in the NHL. There's a reason for that. They are not NHL caliber players either due to other players being more talented than they are or the players are sabotaging themselves by thinking they are the smartest guy in the room.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 11:06 AM, Alexandron said:

I would blame first on American hamburgers and cheeseburgers especially made from black Angus meat. Why they are so tasty? I just checked Khovanov's height and weight. 5'11"  and 198 lb respectively, which are pretty good for his age. We have seen heavier players with this height. Secondly,you made a perfect point. I would blame on coaching staff and gm on not giving him a chance same as to Sokolov, Lodnia, Menell, Mayhew, Tuch and many others we had seen. It seems coaching staff and gm did not make a good connections with those players. Khovanov already signed with Bars Kazan (VHL -Supreme Hockey League). Sokolov also is playing there and had last season 27 goals;20 assists in 43 played games. Both are too young and not giving them a chance to play a full season in AHL but only few games is frustrating. I even not saying about Lodnia relations with the Iowa Wild club.

Are you freakin' kidding me?  This is elite level rationalization for a Russian player who has been making excuses for quite a while now.  I'm sure his KHL coach was in cahoots with the Wild in not giving him a chance too, right?  

The kid had discipline problems on the ice and off of it in regards to this fitness.  Khovanov literally ate his way off of the Wild prospect pool; it was HIS choices that doomed him...he had the chances, he was given the advice and access to the resources to address the issue but Flavor of the Day was the choice Khovanov made.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is all right to have a logo of TRIA which is a part of HealthPartners, TRIA Orthopedics and Regions Hospital. I would include Gillette Children's Hospital too, which is placed next to the Regions Hospital in the same building. It is a 22 years long partnership and sponsorship between the Wild and these organizations in both ways. By working at Regions and Gillette Hospitals for 22 years I have seen Wild players were visiting and helping our sick patients, especially kids. As well as these organizations are helping to the Wild players to recover from their multiple traumas too. Nothing is wrong in that, especially at this not an easy time for us.