*** 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Florida Panthers (A1) - (TBL WIN 4-0) ***

TBL vs FLA  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Florida Based Team Goes On To The East Finals?

• 1-- Bolts in 4. Champs are feeling great, and run through the Cats like a bolt of lightning through a kitten!
    • 2-- Bolts in 5. Panthers try, but are flustered once again by their cross state rivals.
    • 3-- Bolts in 6. Rockin series that has a bit of everything, as the Lightning skate away winners.
    • 4-- Bolts in 7. Goes the distance, both teams are game, but TB is not done flexing their playoff muscle just yet
    • 5-- Cats in 4. Panthers rip away the Bolts' crown...with their heads still in it!
    • 6-- Cats in 5. TB simply has no answers other than one stolen games, for the apparent new Beasts in the East.
    • 7-- Cats in 6. Florida has learned their lessons well and came more than ready to take a competitive series from TB
    • 8-- Cats in 7. Fantastic series that sees the end of the line for any three-peat talk, and possibly a new era in South East hockey!

This poll is closed to new votes

Who says star players don't put in blue collar work?

Second big blocked shot by Stamkos...and both HURT!

Atta boy, Stammer.... still rather see you score PP goals than be used as a puck sponge, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

I'm wondering about the overall atmosphere in Sunrise. Seems to be relatively quiet in the building compared to other places and Luc Gélinas from RDS who's covering this series said that it was really disappointing.

Biggest area of weakness, I've felt all season, is the Panther blue line in terms of susceptible to pressure and decision making.
Bolts just took big time advantage of that just now.

Weegar figuring he could go and double team Kucherov with Forsling and leave some "nobody" like Ross Colton uncovered?
Yea...ummm, no....

Champs go home  up 2-0.
If you're Andrew Brunette, what can you tell your team?

Some long contemplations for the Florida Panthers on that short trip to Tampa, FL.
Their PP HAS to get going though. They need to start there.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at Florida Panthers (A1) - (TBL Lead 2-0)
8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Can Brunette summon his team's inner 2003 Minnesota Wild!!?? 😄

Losing 3-1 on purpose, just to win the next three in OT? ;) For me, Bruno will always be linked to the OT winner that put an end to Roy's career.

After the game.... Coach Brunette saying the "correct" coach things.
Sergei Bobrovsky DOES have a point though.... Panthers are all about re-gathering themselves and coming back from being down.

Difference here is, they are down in the series, not simply the scoreboard, but the point is still valid.
I am as happy as any Lightning fan to be up 2-0 and am thoroughly enjoying the two game cushion.

But I know DAMNED well this series isn't anywhere near over.
Once Game 3 starts, for all intents and purposes, I feel the Bolts need to play as if they are desperate for a win...start from scratch....invisible 2-0 series lead...play for that ONE game at Amalie.

Florida is no Cinderella team that just happened to stumble their way into the post season. They are the freakin Atlantic and President's Trophy winners.
Really hoping the Lightning can put their lights out sooner than later. Don't let those boys hang around....that is asking for trouble.

Bobrovsky.thumb.jpg.db243eba3962b06dd543d19caa04842f.jpg

If this one isn't a sweep or 5-gamer I'd be surprised. 

Florida had a very difficult time with a Wilson-less Capitals team. 

The PP isn't going to just become dominant after going 0-24. Far likelier the Panthers exit playoffs Oh-for-whatever on the PP.

The D corps on the Panthers is very suspect. 

Tampa looks like a near shoo-in to defend their title to me. 

1 minute ago, 3 Palmateers said:

If this one isn't a sweep or 5-gamer I'd be surprised. 

Florida had a very difficult time with a Wilson-less Capitals team. 

The PP isn't going to just become dominant after going 0-24. Far likelier the Panthers exit playoffs Oh-for-whatever on the PP.

The D corps on the Panthers is very suspect. 

Tampa looks like a near shoo-in to defend their title to me. 

As a fan, I can think "Sweep" or "5-gamer" because I can afford too. I CERTAINLY hope the boys on the ice don't. The cliche, boring "one game at a time" is the way to go for them!

Florida did have trouble with Washington, and yes, any mistakes or sloppiness they got away with against the Caps, likely gets punished here. The last minute goal by Ross Colton is case in point.

I don't know if magic would be involved, but a PP certainly CAN come alive after looking dead in the water. It's a matter of adjustments, as you know.
Does Brunette and his staff have what it takes to adjust to whatever it is the Bolts are doing to them? Do the players?
It's probably more complicated than any single thing, but, from where I sit, the Lightning are simply positioning themselves better on the PK than the Panthers are on the PP.....and Florida at times looks to me, like they are making a classic PP mistake...one that the Bolts themselves did for a long time before figuring things out....and that is trying to be too cute, perfect, fancy, exacting...whatever you want to call it, while on the man advantage, instead of powering in, and ripping shots while trying to take away sight lines from the TB goaltender.

Also, the Bolts' PK'ers seem to show more jump in getting to loose pucks before Panther PP'ers do....and whatever the Lightning DON'T clean up or get to, Vasilevskiy is there to stop.....minus that liquid, leaky goal from last night of course. 

D-corps on the Panthers has been suspect ALL SEASON...that hasn't changed.
On their own, they are fine. But put under duress, they seem to make "panic" moves, which lead to bonehead decision making. Seen teams do that to them all year.
Panthers have been able to overcome a lot of that because of their powerful offense. And of course, now they are facing a team that is likely to exploit every mistake they make.
So either they will need to stay cooler under pressure on defense, or suddenly go trip hammer on offense to right their ship.

They are capable of that. But the Champs simply may not let them!

One weird thing I did wonder about....all the fanfare and hoopla of starting the series in Sunrise....did the Panther players, even just a little, get caught up in all that? Maybe lost a bit of focus on their opponent for Game 1, then found themselves scrambling to try and "fix it" for Game 2?

If so, I wonder if the Lightning may step into that same hole when the first game of Round 2 is played in Tampa, and the hype machine and the parade-like circus that goes along with a home start ramp up.

36 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

They are VERY slow with their puck movement.  It's the same Giroux that was here on the PP.  His feet aren't moving much at all, once the puck gets on his stick, he's taking a LOT of time looking for a play or make or a shot.  Only killing off PP time while not challenging the opposing PK.  The team doesn't seem to want to work the puck down low.  Which, along with the slow puck movement, only makes it easier to defend as a PK unit.  The need to get bodies in front much more often.  And they need to be much better with puck retrieval.

They were running a 5 forward PP during the regular season.  And, as soon as Ekblad came back, that changed, he was put on the PP, and it stopped producing.  They need to learn a bit from the movement of the puck on the Tampa PP.

Yeah always one of his biggest flaw always looking for the perfect shot instead of just getting it on net when a lane opens.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

• Like 1

Panthers and Lightning just got going....no Brayden Point once again for the Champs, so Jon Cooper is sticking with his 7 defensemen, 11 forwards set up from the last game.

Some early looks and chances for the Bolts, Panthers are keeping them at bay however.

Physical play seems to be initiated by the Lightning....won't mean squat though if they can't put one past Bobrovsky and Florida ends up scoring first.

TB players like Ross Colton and Anthony Cirelli taking some punishment themselves to hang in the to make plays.
When Panther players buzz around Vasilevskiy, Tampa defenders are there to help clean out the crease area.

For their part, the Panthers are doing a pretty good job in reading the Lightning playmakers. If TB tries keeping possession, they seem to do better than trying the stretch passes, as Florida is very wary of those.

Interesting "feel out" process these teams have going on to start this game.
And, due to scheduling quirks (more likely TV scheduling), this is the first game of a back to back, as these teams meet tomorrow at Amalie as well.

Nick Paul gets crunched by Ben Chiarot along the boards.... he is walked down the tunnel to meet with trainers.
Big loss if he can't come back.

Then again, Lightning players were in and out of the trainer's room all game last game and were able to finish.
Wonder what kind of condition either of these teams will be in after playing each other.... easier pickings for whomever comes out of the Ranger-Hurricanes series?