Red Wings will sign a second line center and trade Bertuzzi for a top pair defender

yave1964

Six seasons of missing the playoffs and in a tough division, the Wings have shown signs of promise but are still a long ways away. Here is IMHO what will absolutely happen this offseason.

A TRUE SECOND LINE CENTER WILL BE ADDED With apologies to Pius Suter who did an admirable job, he is not a 2C on the best day of his life, more a 3C which is where he will slot next year. There are two names that the Wings are and should be looking hard at, Andrew Copp and Vinnie Trocheck. Copp had a breakout year and a fantastic postseason and is from Eastern Michigan, but buyer beware must be said, until last year he looked like a fantastic 4th line center who could bump up to the second line. He will be paid and paid handsomely and if signed long term could be an albatross contract, he is a classic boom or bust. To me the safer pick is Trocheck who probably does not quite have the ceiling of Copp but has a much, much higher floor. The only question is age and term, I would prefer Vinnie but both are miles away better than what we have thrown out there.

BERTUZZI WILL BE TRADED FOR A DEFENSEMAN Count on this. Bert has worn out his welcome in Detroit with Management, he has one more year until he is an unrestricted free agent, the Wings are going to move him to allow some of the younger talented wingers more ice time in critical situations, the Islanders may make an offer invovling Pelech as Dobson is developing and pushing for more of a role. Shea Theodore has been mentioned. Brady Skjei of Carolina is a possibility. My personal favorite would be Colton Parayko as the Blues have three defenseman taking up 20 million in cap space long term and Taresenko who wants out, Bertuzzi would be a solid top line replacement who fits the Blues ethic and Parayko would bring rugged nastiness to the back end.

THE WINGS WILL NOT SIGN KLINGBERG BUT WILL MAKE A SOLID, SERIOUS PITCH FOR PETRY it would be nice to see Klingberg roaming the back end but lets be honest, he is an offensive player who has plateaued and a liability on defense. The money and term he will command will not be worth it. He will probably sign in Seattle and the Wings instead will offer a second rounder to the Habs for Petry whose Dad used to pitch for the cross-town Tigers. Petry could be this years nick leddy, a rental who we add with the intention of moving for futures at or near the deadline.

SO. This is my offseason prediction as the draft and free agency loom'

IN

Trocheck, Petry, Skjei

OUT

Bertuzzi

Bergrenn cracks the club as a sniper on the second pair the team is much better and while I dont see a playoff spot this coming season I believe that we have turned a serious corner.

• Like 1

@yave1964

If Bert is going as you say he is, would you consider trading him, the 8th pick, and a D prospect not named Edvinsson for NJ’s #2 pick if the Havs don’t pick Wright, either straight up or maybe add a later-round pick coming back if that’s a little too much?

Montreal is being a little coy about their pick more than you would think they would be. IF they don’t pick Wright, would you pull that trigger to solve the 1C/2C problem? Would NJ do it?

29 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964

If Bert is going as you say he is, would you consider trading him, the 8th pick, and a D prospect not named Edvinsson for NJ’s #2 pick if the Havs don’t pick Wright, either straight up or maybe add a later-round pick coming back if that’s a little too much?

Montreal is being a little coy about their pick more than you would think they would be. IF they don’t pick Wright, would you pull that trigger to solve the 1C/2C problem? Would NJ do it?

No I think that is too much in this draft. Plays 2 through 10 IMHO are interchangable. Now you mentioned wright I think he is absolutely going to Montreal but if not...... No. I still think that is too much. My friend believes that Bert is going to either the blues or the Canes for a top pair defender which works for me......

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

No I think that is too much in this draft. Plays 2 through 10 IMHO are interchangable. Now you mentioned wright I think he is absolutely going to Montreal but if not...... No. I still think that is too much. My friend believes that Bert is going to either the blues or the Canes for a top pair defender which works for me......

Works for me also, even tho I like Bert a lot. With him scoring 30, his trade value has never been higher, so an opportune time to move him. His age profile doesn’t fit with our probable timeline.

• Like 1

@yave1964

@SpikeDDS

About that second line center position....

Seeing as how Chicago is no longer interested in being competitive as they work on their tank job, they leave Dylan Strome out in the cold.
Not sure what he would cost to sign, but at 25 yrs old, I think he makes MORE sense for the Wings than 29 yr old Trochek, who is good, but injury prone, or 28 yr old Andre Copp, who frankly, I think is overrated.

I think Copp had a very good season, will probably be paid based on it, but likely not hit those same production numbers again, but still be a serviceable centerman.
Is that what Detroit wants? "Serviceable"?

Strome has so much more upside, showed flashes of what the former 1st rounder could be, and remember...Chicago isn't non tendering him because he wasn't any good, it's because they are stripping things down to the bare bones right now.

Don't be surprised if Yzerman decides to bypass Trochek and/or Copp and goes Strome instead!

Game vs game, I take Trochek over Strome every day of the week.  (Monday, Monday 2, Monday 3, Pre-Friday, Friday, Funday, Pre-Monday)

But given where Detroit is, I might take Strome over Trochek.   The Wings may want a more veteran presence, though, and provided term isn't too long ( >5 years), I think I still may Trochek.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@yave1964

@SpikeDDS

About that second line center position....

Seeing as how Chicago is no longer interested in being competitive as they work on their tank job, they leave Dylan Strome out in the cold.
Not sure what he would cost to sign, but at 25 yrs old, I think he makes MORE sense for the Wings than 29 yr old Trochek, who is good, but injury prone, or 28 yr old Andre Copp, who frankly, I think is overrated.

I think Copp had a very good season, will probably be paid based on it, but likely not hit those same production numbers again, but still be a serviceable centerman.
Is that what Detroit wants? "Serviceable"?

Strome has so much more upside, showed flashes of what the former 1st rounder could be, and remember...Chicago isn't non tendering him because he wasn't any good, it's because they are stripping things down to the bare bones right now.

Don't be surprised if Yzerman decides to bypass Trochek and/or Copp and goes Strome instead!

The answer totally depends on what role SY sees him playing. Trochek gives you more up front and would be more of a guy to show young kids how to be pros. But he probably doesn’t fit our development timeline as far as peaking when our young talent matures.

Strome would probably produce a bit less up front, but if he fit in our system well, he could potentially remain here and compete with the kids when they eventually get good.

And I think some of that decision-making may depend on what SY decides to do about a guy like Zadina. If we choose to keep him, we may want to bring in someone like Palat for the now to see if we can “unlock” his potential, since they are countrymen, and Palat and Lalonde (and SY) have worked together. Lalonde may be a part of what Zadina needs too, but a good veteran linemate wouldn’t hurt. IF Palat can do that, that would MORE than justify his price. Zadina needs to go to the net more. Palat could show him how to do that. I like the idea of Palat and Vrana with Zadina. 3 Czech’s to try and prevent one Czech from “bouncing.” (I’ll be here all week!)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Love Copp the player, a bit worried about the money/term but that is what happens in free agency....

I’m not as worried. What is he, 25? If it takes us 5 years to get Cup-competitive, our investment will have been worth it. Plus, if he is declining by then, we trade him in his last year if needed.

Adding all of these more experienced wingers does suggest that Stevie may be giving up on the Zadina project. I was thinking he might bring in Palat, a fellow Czech, to try to get Zadina going along with Vrana. Instead, he went for Copp, but then he also got Kubalik. It just seems to me that if we are adding these vets to the lineup, it is either Veleno or Zadina that goes unless you relegate them to the fourth line.

Also seems like Bert may be sticking around. I realize the team isn’t exactly set yet, but with all of these additional players, it does appear that Stevie is pushing competition to a point where a playoff spot is at least in the conversation this next season, and Bert has more of a playoff-type game than just about anyone on the previous team. I’m perfectly fine with our top line remaining like it was…before tinkering if needed.

Bottom line: Lalonde has more talent to work with than Jeff Blashill has seen since Pav & Z (the REAL Z!) left/retired. I’m as excited as I have been in years about the potential of our team even this season, which is different than how I felt at the end of last season. Not that I would have kept Blash—it was time—but it will not be fair to compare success under Lalonde with Blash. Having said that, I hope Lalonde and this revamped Wings roster leaves the Blash regime in the dust!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 10:06 PM, yave1964 said:

BERTUZZI WILL BE TRADED FOR A DEFENSEMAN Count on this.

No need you got your defenseman now...

...all joking aside a nice depth signing for you guys i guess he'll be your 7th??

But easily can plug and play in the bottom 4. But the 3rd pair is where he will thrive.

I would really have loved to see him with Torts in Philly instead of Nick Seeler as the depth guy.

Hagg maybe be the perfect guy to help bring along countryman Gustav Lindstrom. And help Edvinsson too.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

No need you got your defenseman now...

...all joking aside a nice depth signing for you guys i guess he'll be your 7th??

But easily can plug and play in the bottom 4. But the 3rd pair is where he will thrive.

I would really have loved to see him with Torts in Philly instead of Nick Seeler as the depth guy.

Hagg maybe be the perfect guy to help bring along countryman Gustav Lindstrom. And help Edvinsson too.

I doint hate it. We originaly signed his former bottom pair partner in Buffalo Pysyk but he tore his ACL three days ago and is expected to miss half a season. as a 6/7 it is a solid add.

As for Bertuzzi......I know one guy, exactly one who is involved in Hockeyat an NHL level, he has been with the Wings since forever, he told me Babs was quitting and going to Toronto and that Blashill would be the new coach a full year before it occured, I even posted it in here six months before hand because he was adament that it was happening. He also told me Lalonde would be the new coach a month before it was announced, I posted it in here as well. He also has told me that Bertuzzi who is an UFA at years end is being quietly shopped, a top pair skilled defenseman being the ask. After signing Kubalik, Perron and Copp and with Berggren chomping at the bit for a role in the top nine it makes sense, it still does even after the flurry of signings the Wings have made on their defense. Two days ago he told me that it is still not dead, the Islanders are looking for an offensive upgrade and if they swing and miss on Kadri they will circle back to Bertuzzi offering likely Pelech or Pullock as Dobson has taken over the role as the number one on their blueline. I would rather Bert just be a good boy and get his damn shot but with three canadian teams in our division it makes sense to see what if anything the market is. He is an UFA at the end of next season so there is no rush to deal him, he would fetch a nice price at or near the deadline but even after all the moves, perhaps because of them and because my guy is right so very often I still would not be surprised if he isnt dealt before the start of the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I would rather Bert just be a good boy and get his damn shot but with three canadian teams in our division it makes sense to see what if anything the market is.

I still can't believe this is still a thing now....damn Canadians. :hehe:

• Like 1