Bryan Marchment has passed away

Brewin Flames

Longtime NHL defenseman Bryan Marchment dead at 53

marchment.jpg?fit=1200%2C600&ssl=1

Bryan Marchment, an 18-year NHL veteran, and current San Jose Sharks scout, has died in Montreal. He was 53.

Marchment was in the famed hockey city for the NHL Draft, which is set to kick off at 7 p.m. ET Thursday at Bell Centre, the home of the Canadiens. Rounds 2-7 will commence Friday at 11 a.m. ET.

ESPN was first to report the revelation.

Marchment spent a majority of his NHL career with the Sharks, where he played from 1997-2003. He also enjoyed stints with the Winnipeg Jets, Chicago Blackhawks, the late Hartford Whalers, Edmonton Oilers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Colorado Avalanche, Toronto Maple Leafs, and spent his final season with the Calgary Flames in 2006.

In 2007, the Sharks hired Marchment as a scout, where he remained until his death. Details of the circumstances surrounding Marchment’s passing are unknown at this time.

Marchment is the father of Florida Panthers’ forward Mason Marchment, who had a breakout year, scoring 18 goals with 47 points in 54 games.

I remember him vaguely as a rugged, infuriating (to the opposition), and oftentimes 'over-the-line' type player who played for my Bolts when I was just only 13 or 14.

RIP and condolences to the family, hopefully his son Mason can deal with whatever he needs to deal with, and be ready to move on with his career that looked like it was starting to take off as of last season.
I am sure his Dad would want that for him.

53 way too young to go.

16 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I remember him vaguely as a rugged, infuriating (to the opposition), and oftentimes 'over-the-line' type player who played for my Bolts when I was just only 13 or 14.

RIP and condolences to the family, hopefully his son Mason can deal with whatever he needs to deal with, and be ready to move on with his career that looked like it was starting to take off as of last season.
I am sure his Dad would want that for him.

53 way too young to go.

Yes ,back in the day when you had Kasperitus, Samuelsson, Pilon, Jovanowski, and Marchment. You had to be on high alert when they were on the ice. They would take out your knees and always threw big hits

• Like 1

Bryan Marchment was a very tough defenseman who was good in his own end, a warrior, and was also as dirty as they came. In the 1997 playoffs, the Oilers were up against a really strong Dallas Stars team, and Marchment was knocked out of the lineup in game #2 after suffering a really scary looking injury, when he hit his head on the open door of the bench, and with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd, the arena TV screen focused on him up in the pressbox. Everybody gave a polite cheer, and then it grew and it grew. The TV screen continued to focus on him while he was being cheered, and he finally acknowledged the crowd with a wave, and that really did it. The next thing you knew, it was really noisy. He was a bastard, but he was our bastard.

Not long after that, Doug Weight scored, and the roof came off the place. Really quickly, the wheels fell off the Stars usual suffocating defensive play, and in less than two minutes, the Oilers had it tied up on more goals from Andrei Kovalenko, and Mike Grier, before the OT winner came off the stick of Kelly Buchberger.

The building never got quiet from the Marchment cheer and on, and after the game it continued. People were screaming in the aisles and in the stair wells, in the parking lot and on the LRT. It was so loud, I ended up with a headache that carried into the next day. It's a great memory of mine, and I think of it from time to time.

I'm sorry to hear that he's gone so young. What a heart wrenching loss for his family.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Bryan Marchment was a very tough defenseman who was good in his own end, a warrior, and was also as dirty as they came. In the 1997 playoffs, the Oilers were up against a really strong Dallas Stars team, and Marchment was knocked out of the lineup in game #2 after suffering a really scary looking injury, when he hit his head on the open door of the bench, and with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd, the arena TV screen focused on him up in the pressbox. Everybody gave a polite cheer, and then it grew and it grew. The TV screen continued to focus on him while he was being cheered, and he finally acknowledged the crowd with a wave, and that really did it. The next thing you knew, it was really noisy. He was a bastard, but he was our bastard.

Not long after that, Doug Weight scored, and the roof came off the place. Really quickly, the wheels fell off the Stars usual suffocating defensive play, and in less than two minutes, the Oilers had it tied up on more goals from Andrei Kovalenko, and Mike Grier, before the OT winner came off the stick of Kelly Buchberger.

The building never got quiet from the Marchment cheer and on, and after the game it continued. People were screaming in the aisles and in the stair wells, in the parking lot and on the LRT. It was so loud, I ended up with a headache that carried into the next day. It's a great memory of mine, and I think of it from time to time.

I'm sorry to hear that he's gone so young. What a heart wrenching loss for his family.

Nice story JR! Helps put a human perspective on the situation!

• Like 1