Bolts acquire Tanner Jeannot from Preds

Brewin Flames

Jeannot traded to Lightning by Predators

Forward has 14 points this season; Nashville receives Foote, 5 draft picks

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 February 26, 2023
  •  
cut.jpg

Tanner Jeannot was traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning by the Nashville Predators on Sunday.

Nashville received defenseman Cal Foote, a conditional first-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft, a second-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft, and a third-, fourth- and fifth-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft.

Jeannot, who is in the final season of a two-year, $1.6 million contract he signed with Nashville on July 30, 2021, can become a restricted free agent after this season. The 25-year-old forward has 14 points (five goals, nine assists) in 56 games.

Signed by the Predators as an undrafted free agent on April 2, 2018, Jeannot has 62 points (34 goals, 28 assists) in 152 regular-season games and two assists in nine Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Foote, a 24-year-old defenseman, is in the final season of a two-year, $1.7 million contract he signed on July 29, 2021, and can become a restricted free agent after the season. He has three points (one goal, two assists) in 26 games.

Selected by Tampa Bay in the first round (No. 14) of the 2017 NHL Draft, Foote has 15 points (four goals, 11 assists) in 117 regular-season games, and two assists in 13 playoff games.

The Lightning (37-18-4), who are 2-2-2 in their past six games, are in third place in the Atlantic Division, four points behind the Toronto Maple Leafs for second.

The Predators (29-22-6), who have won three in a row, are six points behind the Seattle Kraken, who have played two more games, for the second wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Western Conference.

• Good Post 1

Cal Foote plus a 2025 1st, plus a 2024 2nd, plus a 2023 3rd AND 5th.

That's nuts. Jeannot is a strong physical player that had a very good year last season but the price seems to be batsh!t high. Maybe he'll stick better with the Lightning but I'm really not sure he can be a game-changer for Tampa. Maybe @TropicalFruitGirl26 could enlighten our lanterns on that one.

The Lightning are a well run, smart team, but this payment seems batsh|t crazy. That's basically an entire draft year's worth of picks for a 25-year old who has only year as a pro where he scored at any real rate. He gets a lot of hits, but come on... That also means his team doesn't have the puck much of the time when he's playing.

3 hours ago, Math said:

Cal Foote plus a 2025 1st, plus a 2024 2nd, plus a 2023 3rd AND 5th.

That's nuts. Jeannot is a strong physical player that had a very good year last season but the price seems to be batsh!t high. Maybe he'll stick better with the Lightning but I'm really not sure he can be a game-changer for Tampa. Maybe @TropicalFruitGirl26 could enlighten our lanterns on that one.

LOL! I didn't even see your post until after I made my own, and saw that we had the exact same way to describe the trade. I just don't get this one.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Seems like a LOT Jeannot.    And yet another first round pick going out.

I don't know. Tampa needs some grit and the player makes some sense, but man, what s premium for a bottom 6 winger.

I read two places that Tampa and Toronto were in a dogfight to get him, running the price sky high.

Still, Cal Foote is looking like a bust or at most a third par defender, a lot of picks, more than i would have given up but Jeannot is a hell of a playoff player and the most important for the Bolts is he has term. They have his rights for four more years. Same thing they did adding Nick Paul last year from Ottawa who was a perfect fit and not a rental. 

I would probably not have paid the price, Jeannot is a fine player but not a needle mover, but they were competing for his services against their first round opponent so that makes it that much more important. If you look at it as the two teams are relatively even and Jeannot tips the scale slightly in Tampas favor, i see why you do it, but man, that is a lot of futures given up. Tampa in this draft has two sixth rounders and one seventh. 

• Like 1

Trying to find some positives to what is clearly an overpay for Jeannot, and it is proving difficult.

Don't get me wrong:

I believe Jeannot should fit into Tampa Bay's physical + skill mentality and their designs on winning at least one more Cup in the next 2-3 seasons with the current core of Stamkos-Hedman-Kucherov-Point.

But as that core ages out, the next wave, probably led by a grizzled Brayden Point will be Sergachev, Cirelli, Hagel, and Jeannot.
The team should not expect a ton of help from 'high impact players' in their minors system for a good long while due to not having very many draft picks in the next three years.

Fortunately, the Bolts DO have a very excellent scouting and development system in place....and those guys are gonna have to work overtime to scour the leagues in Europe and dig deep into AHL, ECHL, Juniors, and college ranks for players who are diamonds in the rough, or players whose stock has fallen for one reason or the other, yet still have useable talent.

The Lightning, in the past, have gotten lots of mileage out of players no one else deemed worthy of drafting.....or players picked very late in the draft.
Martin St. Louis, Dan Boyle, and Ruslan Fedotenko come to mind right away, and more recently, players like Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde, Jan Rutta, and Ondrej Palat....who WAS drafted, but not till the 7th round.
Tanner Jeannot himself is an undrafted player.

That is a credit to their scouting, the systems they have in place for helping players reach their potential, and the positive culture the organization has built from the owner all the way down to the locker room that allows for players from high draft picks to undrafted or newly discovered Euro talents to do well provided they put the work in.

And with this trade here, essentially closing the door on any immediate impact players coming in from the NHL draft, the Lightning will be leaning on that scouting, development, culture, and savvy deals from GM Brisebois, to get them through the next three years.

The potential is there for Tampa Bay to fall completely on their faces and everyone can point to a deal like this and say, "There you see...they finally messed up", but I'd say the organization's track record at least gives them a shot to stay afloat during those 'no draft pick' years, while they still continue to try and compete for a Cup in the present.

If I were to rate the trade between the Preds and Bolts RIGHT NOW, I'd actually give the 'win' to Nashville, just based on the sheer number of shots they are getting at coming away with NHL viable players.
But like I said, the Bolts are looking to squeeze one more Cup (maybe two if things fall right) with their current core, and Tanner Jeannot seems to go along with that idea more than Cal Foote was and guys who aren't drafted yet.

And if the Lightning do win a Cup with Jeannot on board, either this season, next or the one after that, it really doesn't matter if Nashville 'won the trade' here and now.

• Like 1