Sabres come up a bit short

Samifan

Sabres Playoff drought reaches 12 years. 

At least this year they made it until game 80 before being eliminated instead of being eliminated by November each year. 

I tease because I am envious of where the Sabres are as a franchise vs my beloved Flyers. 

Congrats to HJ on a good season for his team.

• Like 1

Relative to what they've been doing for over a decade previously, yes, the Sabres really DID have a good year!

Being in a division with the Lightning, Leaves®, Bruins, and the up n coming Senators and Red Wings is no easy feat, yet Buffalo, as @Samifan says, came up shy just a bit.
Much has been made by fans, media outlets and bunch of others as to WHY Buffalo came up short, and general consensus seems to be goaltending and/or defense.

I am of the opinion that the Sabres may actually have good enough goalies to make the post season, maybe make a run, un Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen and Devon Levi.
However, how well the Sabres actually defended left MUCH to be desired, and IMO, is the number one reason they are falling just short as opposed to making the top 8 cut.

Maybe it's a matter of some personnel changes, or maybe it's on-ice philosophy and coaching, whatever the case, decision making, approach to defense, and attention to detail need to improve.
Sabres accomplish that, and all of a sudden those young goalies look even BETTER, and we are talking about a team prepping for Round 1 of the playoffs instead of looking ahead to the draft as usual.

I like to pick on the Sabres here and there, and give one particular Sabres fan a hard time, albeit always in jest, but if the ugly shocking truth be known, I have been a closet Sabres fan for over 20 years now.
Right around the time they lost in the Finals against Dallas, and right at the time when the Minnesota Wild got instated into the NHL, Buffalo was my "outside" team from the Lightning.
Why?

I had a friend in college who was from West New York, who transplanted to my neck of the woods to attend the University of South Florida. He was a Sabres fan. Big time.
Brought his fandom with him.
He helped teach me lots about the game of hockey....the nuances, how to watch players, what things to look for, that kind of thing.

Ever wonder how a gal from South Central Florida got so hooked on hockey? Well, he was a big part of that.
So, aside from my burgeoning Lightning fandom, I adopted the Sabres as my "pseudo" team, if for no other reason, my friend Mills LOVED that team.

He and I would have been the same age...sadly, he lost his life to some strange brain ailment at the age of just 32. Just like that.

But anyways, I digressed some here, but, HJ, whenever you feel I am trying to rip holes in your team, just keep in mind that, while yes, I DO that, your Sabres were my late friend's team, he adored them (and yes, he was a huge Ryan Miller fan as well...although, he NEVER hid in the bushes of the Miller household :ph34r: ), and I not-so-secretly-now, have a soft spot for those cement headed lugs that play in Buffalo, NY!

Season is one Sabres fan can be proud of, despite how it ultimately ended, and hopefully, it serves as a building block moving forward.
Here is to hoping Kevin Adams and his staff are paying close attention to what worked and what didn't....and make adjustments accordingly.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I HAVE been keeping it in the closet!

It just...escaped for a bit in this thread.
Trying my best to stuff it back in there though! :bigteeth: 

Stop sucking up to Rick Fruity girl he will still be your favorite!!!!!:D

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

Sabres Playoff drought reaches 12 years. 

At least this year they made it until game 80 before being eliminated instead of being eliminated by November each year. 

I tease because I am envious of where the Sabres are as a franchise vs my beloved Flyers. 

Congrats to HJ on a good season for his team.

FthrSLKWIAIHoQB.jpg.a51a597e1f40adfd9c565173c2a8eb62.jpg

Didn't realize it had been that long for the Wings.

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Relative to what they've been doing for over a decade previously, yes, the Sabres really DID have a good year!

Being in a division with the Lightning, Leaves®, Bruins, and the up n coming Senators and Red Wings is no easy feat, yet Buffalo, as @Samifan says, came up shy just a bit.
Much has been made by fans, media outlets and bunch of others as to WHY Buffalo came up short, and general consensus seems to be goaltending and/or defense.

I am of the opinion that the Sabres may actually have good enough goalies to make the post season, maybe make a run, un Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen and Devon Levi.
However, how well the Sabres actually defended left MUCH to be desired, and IMO, is the number one reason they are falling just short as opposed to making the top 8 cut.

Maybe it's a matter of some personnel changes, or maybe it's on-ice philosophy and coaching, whatever the case, decision making, approach to defense, and attention to detail need to improve.
Sabres accomplish that, and all of a sudden those young goalies look even BETTER, and we are talking about a team prepping for Round 1 of the playoffs instead of looking ahead to the draft as usual.

I like to pick on the Sabres here and there, and give one particular Sabres fan a hard time, albeit always in jest, but if the ugly shocking truth be known, I have been a closet Sabres fan for over 20 years now.
Right around the time they lost in the Finals against Dallas, and right at the time when the Minnesota Wild got instated into the NHL, Buffalo was my "outside" team from the Lightning.
Why?

I had a friend in college who was from West New York, who transplanted to my neck of the woods to attend the University of South Florida. He was a Sabres fan. Big time.
Brought his fandom with him.
He helped teach me lots about the game of hockey....the nuances, how to watch players, what things to look for, that kind of thing.

Ever wonder how a gal from South Central Florida got so hooked on hockey? Well, he was a big part of that.
So, aside from my burgeoning Lightning fandom, I adopted the Sabres as my "pseudo" team, if for no other reason, my friend Mills LOVED that team.

He and I would have been the same age...sadly, he lost his life to some strange brain ailment at the age of just 32. Just like that.

But anyways, I digressed some here, but, HJ, whenever you feel I am trying to rip holes in your team, just keep in mind that, while yes, I DO that, your Sabres were my late friend's team, he adored them (and yes, he was a huge Ryan Miller fan as well...although, he NEVER hid in the bushes of the Miller household :ph34r: ), and I not-so-secretly-now, have a soft spot for those cement headed lugs that play in Buffalo, NY!

Season is one Sabres fan can be proud of, despite how it ultimately ended, and hopefully, it serves as a building block moving forward.
Here is to hoping Kevin Adams and his staff are paying close attention to what worked and what didn't....and make adjustments accordingly.

Im sorry about your friend.  We lost a good fan.  The fact that this team is so young, with guys like Tuch and Skinner to help lead them, I do like their chances next year to get in.  Dahlin and Power are two first round picks that are going to be great players.  Dahlin already is. Power is more offensive minded right now. Samuelson is the best true defender they have and they keep showing the Sabres record with him in the lineup as opposed to when he was out injured.  They are far better with him in.  I am not sure if Luukenen is in the plans now that they have Levi?  I would use him as the backup or share duties?  The fact they played Levi in New Jersey after he played the night before tells you they are down on Luukenen.  I think that was a mistake.  But it matters not now.  I say Anderson is gone.  He is old and he knows it. Comrie had best be gone.  So do they go get someone else to replace Luukenen or do they stick with him to back up Levi?  Dahlin, Power and Samuelson are safe of course and are going no where.  I must say that Jokuharju has played much better of late and I am now going to flip and say keep him.  The rest are totally up in the air, and likey some gone.  Bryson is one I would consider keeping. I like the kid.  He is fast. Lyubushkin also I keep.  So Clague not so sure.  Stillman I really am not sure about either.  He came over from Vancouver at the deadline.  If they can get a good defenseman to play with the first ones mentioned I like the team.  Offensively they are pretty solid but you can always use another good forward.  Middlestadt really came on late.  Cozens and Thompson, Skinner and Tuch are obviously going no where.  Olofsson?  I would consider trading him  Seriously.  Greenway I would try and replace.  Not sure about Okposo and how much time he has left. Girgensons has been a solid player here and is the oldest guy.  His penalty killing alone is a plus but he could be gone?  Paterka and Quinn are two very good young players.  They stay if it were up to me and I think they are coming back for sure.  Krebs also.   So what about Granato?  I personally keep him.  I think he did the best he could with what he had especially given the goalie situation.  So Adams should not do anything with Granato. You may want to keep the Sabres as a closet team TFG.  Tampa is not going to get rid of its older players that got them to the Cup. They will do what teams do, honor those that won, but at the same time it kind of hurts things moving forward.  Point is still solid. But Stamkos has seen his better days.  Im not sure how old Hedman is?  The East is tougher than the West now.  It been a long time.