Treliving out as Flames GM

Brewin Flames

Calgary Flames and GM Brad Treliving agree to part ways

1:23 PM ET
  • clark_ryan.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Ryan S. ClarkNHL reporter

One of the bigger questions of the NHL offseason was answered Monday with the Calgary Flames announcing they mutually agreed to part ways with general manager Brad Treliving.

The Flames were headed down this road before the season because Treliving was working under the final year of his contract. Those questions began to reignite after the Flames missed the playoffs for the second time in three years.

The Flames also announced that senior vice president of hockey operations Don Maloney will be the new president of hockey operations while also serving as interim GM.

Treliving, 53, took over the club in April 2014, which made him the NHL's sixth-longest serving GM. He oversaw the Flames at a time in which the club snapped a four-year streak of missing the playoffs by reaching the postseason in his first year. The Flames ultimately reached the postseason five times under Treliving, with the majority of those appearances resulting in the Flames losing in the first round.

Last year, the Flames lost in the second round to cross-provincial rival Edmonton, which opened the door for one of the more hectic offseason periods of any team. All-Star winger Johnny Gaudreau was a pending unrestricted free agent who chose to sign a seven-year contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets. All-Star winger Matthew Tkachuk, a pending restricted free agent, told the team he would not sign a long-term contract.

It led to Treliving trading Tkachuk to the Florida Panthers in a deal that saw All-Star winger Jonathan Huberdeau and puck-moving defenseman MacKenzie Weegar come to Calgary. Tkachuk signed an eight-year contract at the time of the trade.

Trading for Huberdeau and Weegar while signing center Nazem Kadri in free agency were among the focal points in the Flames' plan to replace Gaudreau and Tkachuk, who each scored 100 points in their final seasons in Calgary.

Finding ways to consistently score goals became an issue for the Flames, which played a part in why they remained in the hunt for one of the two wild-card spots but struggled to firmly control their fate.

Whoever is hired as Treliving's successor will oversee a roster that CapFriendly projects to have $1.25 million in cap space because the Flames have several players with at least one year left on their contracts. For example, Huberdeau signed an eight-year deal last August worth $10.5 million that will start next season. Weegar signed an eight-year deal in October that will pay him $6.25 million annually.

The Flames are the second team this offseason to make a front-office change. The Penguins announced Friday that they had dismissed president of hockey operations Brian Burke, GM Ron Hextall and assistant GM Chris Pryor after the club missed the playoffs for the first time in 16 seasons.

• Good Post 1

John Shannon reporting that Treliving walked away from an extension when he was told that he wouldn't be able to fire Coach Sutter. If the reporting is accurate, that was a smart move on Treliving's part, as any GM who can't pick his coach isn't really running the club anyway. With two years left on Sutter's deal, I can't imagine that Flames ownership was thrilled with the idea of shelling out $8M for the next two years for Sutter to not coach the team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

John Shannon reporting that Treliving walked away from an extension when he was told that he wouldn't be able to fire Coach Sutter. If the reporting is accurate, that was a smart move on Treliving's part, as any GM who can't pick his coach isn't really running the club anyway. With two years left on Sutter's deal, I can't imagine that Flames ownership was thrilled with the idea of shelling out $8M for the next two years for Sutter to not coach the team.

Well yeah I'd choose Sutter over Treliving too especially if this reporting is true it just doesn't make any sense to fire a coach after signing that coach to an extension that was Treliving choice to offer...

But I'm having doubts over this reporting because even Treliving knows it's a bad financial move to fire a coach that you have to pay millions to over the next couple years...plus it personally makes no sense that Treliving blames Sutter because Sutter is the winningest coach the Calgary organization has ever had...

Anyways my opinion is that the Flames organization and players are committed to Sutter and they believe in him so for better or worse Sutter will be part of the Flames the best few years and one bad year doesn't mean anything I'm confident they'll bounce back next year...

I felt he was trapped between the devil and the deep blue sea when gaudreau walked and Tkachuk said he was as well. He boldly went for it, it didn't work out but unlike an absolute ton of execs in all fields who would have played it conservative to try to add a few years to his shelf life he showed guts. It didn't work but he deserves to be commended for trying.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Well yeah I'd choose Sutter over Treliving too especially if this reporting is true it just doesn't make any sense to fire a coach after signing that coach to an extension that was Treliving choice to offer...

But I'm having doubts over this reporting because even Treliving knows it's a bad financial move to fire a coach that you have to pay millions to over the next couple years...plus it personally makes no sense that Treliving blames Sutter because Sutter is the winningest coach the Calgary organization has ever had...

Anyways my opinion is that the Flames organization and players are committed to Sutter and they believe in him so for better or worse Sutter will be part of the Flames the best few years and one bad year doesn't mean anything I'm confident they'll bounce back next year...

Multiple reports from hockey insiders, throughout the season, stated that the players were unhappy and frustrated with Sutter, with Huberdeau's agent even publicly taking a shot at what he cited as negatvitiy from the coach. Just yesterday, Elliot Friedman reported that there had been a growing disconnect between coach and GM, with Sutter choosing not to use young players like Matthew Phillips and Jokab Pelletier. Friedman reports that Sutter and Treliving were offered contract extensions last fall, with Sutter accepting his and Treliving declining. Note that it didn't say that Treliving extended Sutter, but that the team did.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/friedman-deteriorating-relationship-with-darryl-sutter-played-role-in-brad-trelivings-exit/ar-AA19YVw6

The organization is committed to Sutter, but it's not nearly as cut-and-dried to say that the players are. If it was just a report or two, I could see it being just a rumour, but this has come up too often and from too many sources to just dismiss the matter as idle talk.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I felt he was trapped between the devil and the deep blue sea when gaudreau walked and Tkachuk said he was as well. He boldly went for it, it didn't work out but unlike an absolute ton of execs in all fields who would have played it conservative to try to add a few years to his shelf life he showed guts. It didn't work but he deserves to be commended for trying.

I thought that Treliving pivoted pretty well last summer, and made the most of a tough situation. What I said at the time:

image.png\

Yeah, that's pretty much how it worked out. Kadri produced what reasonable people should expect, and Huberdeau, out from under the huge cover of Sasha Barkov, struggled with greater responsibility and a coach who runs his offense in a way which is just about assured not to get the best out of a guy like Huberdeau. In that vein, if Sutter wants to turn things around, he can't continue to coach this team the way he did in Los Angeles, where he had a group of all-star grinders who could wear the wheels off the opposition practically at will. Nobody will ever confuse Jonathan Huberdeau for Dustin Brown.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Chuck Fletcher come on down...

For the love of God please anyone but that idiot he ruined Calgary after we won the Cup he traded away Gilmour et all for nothing in return not to mention what he did in Philadelphia and everywhere else this idiot goes...

14 hours ago, yave1964 said:

He I have no complaints with how he managed Calgary getting Huberdeau Weegar and Kadri was the best anyone could do he that situation and getting Stecher and Ritchie before the deadline was the best we could do too without breaking up our lineup...it didn't get us to the playoffs but it wasn't anyone fault except the players themselves...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Multiple reports from hockey insiders, throughout the season, stated that the players were unhappy and frustrated with Sutter, with Huberdeau's agent even publicly taking a shot at what he cited as negatvitiy from the coach. Just yesterday, Elliot Friedman reported that there had been a growing disconnect between coach and GM, with Sutter choosing not to use young players like Matthew Phillips and Jokab Pelletier. Friedman reports that Sutter and Treliving were offered contract extensions last fall, with Sutter accepting his and Treliving declining. Note that it didn't say that Treliving extended Sutter, but that the team did.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/friedman-deteriorating-relationship-with-darryl-sutter-played-role-in-brad-trelivings-exit/ar-AA19YVw6

The organization is committed to Sutter, but it's not nearly as cut-and-dried to say that the players are. If it was just a report or two, I could see it being just a rumour, but this has come up too often and from too many sources to just dismiss the matter as idle talk.

Yeah I seen those reports too and I can understand probably Huberdeau and Kadri not used to Sutter style but I think the majority Calgary players love Sutter especially the ones that played for him before such as Toffoli and Lucic and Lewis etc...anyways I'm sure they'll all get used to him next year and the younger guys will get a chance to play more too...

2 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

For the love of God please anyone but that idiot he ruined Calgary after we won the Cup he traded away Gilmour et all for nothing in return not to mention what he did in Philadelphia and everywhere else this idiot goes...

You're think about his dad....Chuck will fix his dad's mistakes!!!!

Ok yeah hard to say that with a straight face...but if he is your GM maybe we can trade you some of his junk he collected in Philly!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

You're think about his dad....Chuck will fix his dad's mistakes!!!!

Ok yeah hard to say that with a straight face...but if he is your GM maybe we can trade you some of his junk he collected in Philly!

Oh yeah that was his dad hahaha yeesh worst hockey genes in all of history...almost worse than Mike Millbury...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

Oh yeah that was his dad hahaha yeesh worst hockey genes in all of history...almost worse than Mike Millbury...

I thought you'd have some love for Cliff: he was the GM for the Cup winning Flames in 1989.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I thought you'd have some love for Cliff: he was the GM for the Cup winning Flames in 1989.

Nope no love he fired the only coach that won us the Cup the year after winning it just because we lost in first round...way I see it is that we won despite having that idiot for GM...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Happy that they gave Craig Conroy a chance instead of hiring anyone else...but I'm still depressed about losing Sutter plus probably losing Lucic and Backlund and more this year😫

I know that you like him, but the Flames will improve with literally any replacement for Milan Lucic. He spent most of his minutes heavily sheltered by coach Sutter, playing the lowest competition available, and the Flames still only scored 41% of the goals while he out there.

image.png

image.png

One of Calgary's problems has been Lucic's presence and cap hit on the roster, taking opportunities away from younger, better and cheaper players.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

One of Calgary's problems has been Lucic's presence and cap hit on the roster, taking opportunities away from younger, better and cheaper players.

You mean 20 points a year for four years isn't a good return for $6M?

🤔

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2023 at 12:37 PM, radoran said:

You mean 20 points a year for four years isn't a good return for $6M?

🤔

I think Looch knows he only worth under 2 mil now...I'm sure he'd play for 1.5 and I'd rather have him on 3rd or 4th line despite bad stats he good for team morale and leadership even if he didn't knockout big Mac this year...

On 5/25/2023 at 10:51 AM, JR Ewing said:

I know that you like him, but the Flames will improve with literally any replacement for Milan Lucic. He spent most of his minutes heavily sheltered by coach Sutter, playing the lowest competition available, and the Flames still only scored 41% of the goals while he out there.

image.png

image.png

On 5/25/2023 at 10:51 AM, JR Ewing said:

Yeah his stats are bad but Sutter team stats and analytics were good despite not making the playoffs...so yeah I'm biased but I still try to keep Looch if I were Conroy...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, radoran said:

The Flames have $1.25M in cap space.

They'll have more if Lucic takes a pay cut...Lucic made 5 mil last year if he takes 2 mil Calgary will have 3mil more cap space...of if Calgary gets rid of Lucic altogether they have 5 mil extra...

On 5/31/2023 at 6:24 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Flames reached out to Gerard Gallant to gauge his interest in potentially coaching in Calgary. The answer was yes.

That's who I'd want too but I'm worried that Conroy wants a young coach like Gulutzan again...maybe that's why Treliving left was because Conroy and Bean wanted youth but Treliving wanted to stick with Sutter...🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1