Sutter Fired in Calgary

radoran

Flames fire coach Darryl Sutter after three seasons

The Calgary Flames announced Monday they have fired coach Darryl Sutter after three seasons.It's the second time the Flames have parted ways with Sutter, who previously coached the team for three seasons from 2002-03 through 2005-06. He led the Flames to the playoffs twice the first time, including to the Stanley Cup Final where they lost to the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 2003-04 season.His most recent stint with the Flames was not as successful as his first with the Flames missing the playoffs in his first and final seasons.Sutter's second time with the Flames came after the team hired him to take over the remaining 32 games for Geoff Ward after he went 11-11-2 in the 2020-21 truncated 56-game season.
Sutter guided the Flames to the Stanley Cup playoffs in his second season where they lost to their provincial rivals, the Edmonton Oilers, in the second round.The Flames had a bit of a different look in what ultimately became Sutter's final campaign. They lost two 100-point forwards in Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk. Gaudreau left in free agency and signed with the Columbus Blue Jackets while Tkachuk was traded to the Florida Panthers in a deal that saw another 100-point forward in Jonathan Huberdeau along with defenseman MacKenzie Weegar come the other way.After trading for Huberdeau and Weegar, the Flames also signed Nazem Kadri in free agency after he finished with a career-high 87 points en route to helping the Colorado Avalanche win the Stanley Cup.Even with Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar, the Flames still faced questions about if they could consistently score. The Flames were 19th in goals per game but also encountered other struggles such has having the second poorest save percentage in the NHL in 5-on-5 play, according to Natural Stat Trick.It led to the Flames being a team that struggled to find consistency yet entered the final weeks of the regular season vying for a playoff spot. Even though they finished 6-2-2 in their last 10 games, they fell short of the postseason by two points.

The decision to fire Sutter comes less than a month after the club announced that general manager Brad Treliving, who was in the final year of his contract, agreed to mutually part ways with the organization.

Flames senior vice president of hockey operations Don Maloney, who was promoted to president of hockey operations, is currently serving as the team's interim GM.

"It became clear to me we needed a new voice," Maloney said Monday during an afternoon news conference. "Unless you have winning ... changes are made."

Maloney said he interviewed 25 players, assistant coaches and agents of prominent pending free agents to arrive at the decision.

"I do feel like this is the best way for us to proceed as a club," Maloney said. "It's an exciting time. We have a good team, we have good players. What we've seen the last two weeks watching playoff hockey, anybody can beat anybody at any time. Excited about getting back on the ice next year with a new coach, new general manager and getting back to the playoffs."

• Good Post 1

Good move for the Flames. Sutter was pure poison for the players, and simply couldn't adapt his coaching style to the roster he had, insisting on trying to pound square pegs into round holes. @radoransaid it well, referring to it as "open rebellion", with word quickly spreading around the league through the agents: the Flames players were simply done with him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Waste of 4 million/year for next 2 years firing Sutter...anyways I personally would never fire Sutter no matter what the players say...I mean yeah players run show now look at the NBA with LeBron James etc and the NHL wants to follow the same money making path as the NBA and even players like McDavid and Patrick Kane obviously run their teams and are have more influence than their coaches and those players obviously win championships...

But personally I don't agree...I means what's the point of having a coach if the coach is just a cheerleader for their players...? I'll always want Sutter for a coach he's the only coach to bring Calgary to the Cup finals besides Terry Crisp and I doubt whoever they hire next week be close to what Sutter did and could do for this team...

This is a sad and tragic day for me as other Flames fans that feel the same...just like when they fired Terry Crisp the year after winning the Cup...

Flames’ Firing of Sutter Will Allow Team to Succeed and Stay Intact

by 

After former general manager Brad Treliving stepped down after the season, it was thought that Darryl Sutter would remain, as the head coach as he had two years left at $4 million per season on his contract. That isn’t the case, as the Calgary Flames have fired him after less than three seasons as the head coach for what should be assumed to be a number of reasons.

Darryl Sutter Head Coach of the Calgary Flames
Darryl Sutter, Head Coach of the Calgary Flames (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)

Although Tyler Toffoli publicly defended Sutter, saying he’s the best coach he’s ever had, there’s some bias there, considering they won the Stanley Cup together in Los Angeles years back. The rest of the team didn’t think the same way as Sutter wasn’t on the same page, especially this season. He is known as a hard-nosed coach but took comments too far this season toward veterans to rookies. The former Flames’ head coach might have had success in the past and even last season with the team, but his coaching method is outdated and wasn’t working anymore with a bit of a different roster this season.

7pvbii25pgykx543lr7v3wejc3jon56r.jpg
flames-firing-sutter-team-succeed-stay-iWhat factors played into Darryl Sutter being fired as Flames head coach?
NHL |

4:03
o3oc9mpz4ht4hv15qhfmzwxht14211ic.jpg
flames-firing-sutter-team-succeed-stay-iWhy Maloney feels head coach tenures in today’s NHL is shorter, unless you’re winning
NHL |

1:19
q179553tts8os664gdxex85f64p7qmni.jpg
flames-firing-sutter-team-succeed-stay-iWhy Sutter's replacement needs to relate better to younger players and get Huberdeau going
NHL |

3:25
gcux4cunkcgag722lchru6596xvjwyf0.jpg
flames-firing-sutter-team-succeed-stay-iMaloney confirms Kylington wants to return to Flames, and doesn’t think roster needs major overhaul

Almost any replacement the Flames find in the offseason is going to be better suited for this Flames roster, as many players are set to bounce back, they’re already built for strong defensive play and can use a mind that has a bigger focus on the offensive side.

In exit interviews, two key players heading into the final year of their contracts were uncertain about their futures in Calgary – Elias Lindholm and Mikael Backlund. These two players make up two of the top three centers, and while Lindholm couldn’t replicate the success he’s had in seasons prior with new linemates, Backlund had a career year on the third line and was a very important player. Both Lindholm and Backlund wouldn’t state whether they would consider re-signing with the Flames, and they would see how the offseason went.

Mikael Backlund Calgary Flames
Mikael Backlund, Calgary Flames (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)

I for one thought that meant they wanted to see what additions the general manager made to the team and if Sutter would be back next season. While Treliving did all he could to recover from the last-minute Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk situation last summer, I did not doubt that he was set to make some big moves once again, as the team has already committed to Jonathan Huberdeau, Nazem Kadri, and MacKenzie Weegar long-term as they can’t afford a rebuild and to miss their Stanley Cup window. While Treliving stepped down because it seemed he and Sutter were on different pages, the team will have a different voice behind the bench and give players better opportunities.

While players who were signed long-term expressed their negative feelings towards how they were being coached, and that might have had a part to play in Sutter’s firing, the risk of losing upcoming free agents is a bit scarier for the organization. Lindholm and Backlund have been major pieces for the Flames for a number of years now, as they are both very good defensively. Centers are not easy to come by, especially ones who can provide offence and defence as these two can. If the necessary changes weren’t made, there was a good chance both could have walked to free agency after next season or even be traded. Assuming changing head coaches was something these individuals wanted, it’s hard to say if that is it or if they are also waiting to see what direction the team is actually heading in.

Opportunity All-Around

Generally, when there is a new coach behind the bench, he likes to give everyone an equal opportunity to show him what they got. Most times this makes the team play better as a whole because players also think it is their shot to get noticed and play more. We saw this season after the coaching carousel that most of the teams performed much better than their prior season. Take the Boston Bruins, Dallas Stars, and Vegas Golden Knights, for example. All started great out of the gate and held strong the entire season. This is what can be in store for the Flames with a new coach as well.

Adam Ruzicka Calgary Flames

Under Sutter, prospects and young players had a very hard time getting into the lineup. Matthew Phillips was once again overlooked, and when he did get his shot, the 24-year-old averaged 9:02 of ice time over two games before being sent back down. Other prospects like Jakob Pelletier, Walker Duehr, and Adam Ruzicka should have also gotten more playing time, but Sutter elected to continue to go with the veterans, even giving Milan Lucic second-line minutes at certain points in the season and refusing to make him a healthy scratch until very late in the season.

The Flames still have some convincing to do regarding a number of key players, and it should go deeper than just a coaching change. Although it is a good start, expect more moves and the Flames to bounce back in 2023-24.

• Good Post 1

54 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Flames’ Firing of Sutter Will Allow Team to Succeed and Stay Intact

May 1, 2023 by Rob Couch

After former general manager Brad Treliving stepped down after the season, it was thought that Darryl Sutter would remain, as the head coach as he had two years left at $4 million per season on his contract. That isn’t the case, as the Calgary Flames have fired him after less than three seasons as the head coach for what should be assumed to be a number of reasons.

Darryl Sutter Head Coach of the Calgary Flames Darryl Sutter, Head Coach of the Calgary Flames (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)

Although Tyler Toffoli publicly defended Sutter, saying he’s the best coach he’s ever had, there’s some bias there, considering they won the Stanley Cup together in Los Angeles years back. The rest of the team didn’t think the same way as Sutter wasn’t on the same page, especially this season. He is known as a hard-nosed coach but took comments too far this season toward veterans to rookies. The former Flames’ head coach might have had success in the past and even last season with the team, but his coaching method is outdated and wasn’t working anymore with a bit of a different roster this season.

7pvbii25pgykx543lr7v3wejc3jon56r.jpg
flames-firing-sutter-team-succeed-stay-iWhat factors played into Darryl Sutter being fired as Flames head coach?
NHL |

4:03
o3oc9mpz4ht4hv15qhfmzwxht14211ic.jpg
flames-firing-sutter-team-succeed-stay-iWhy Maloney feels head coach tenures in today’s NHL is shorter, unless you’re winning
NHL |

1:19
q179553tts8os664gdxex85f64p7qmni.jpg
flames-firing-sutter-team-succeed-stay-iWhy Sutter's replacement needs to relate better to younger players and get Huberdeau going
NHL |

3:25
gcux4cunkcgag722lchru6596xvjwyf0.jpg
flames-firing-sutter-team-succeed-stay-iMaloney confirms Kylington wants to return to Flames, and doesn’t think roster needs major overhaul

Almost any replacement the Flames find in the offseason is going to be better suited for this Flames roster, as many players are set to bounce back, they’re already built for strong defensive play and can use a mind that has a bigger focus on the offensive side.

Uncertainty Heading Into the Offseason

In exit interviews, two key players heading into the final year of their contracts were uncertain about their futures in Calgary – Elias Lindholm and Mikael Backlund. These two players make up two of the top three centers, and while Lindholm couldn’t replicate the success he’s had in seasons prior with new linemates, Backlund had a career year on the third line and was a very important player. Both Lindholm and Backlund wouldn’t state whether they would consider re-signing with the Flames, and they would see how the offseason went.

Mikael Backlund Calgary Flames Mikael Backlund, Calgary Flames (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)

I for one thought that meant they wanted to see what additions the general manager made to the team and if Sutter would be back next season. While Treliving did all he could to recover from the last-minute Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk situation last summer, I did not doubt that he was set to make some big moves once again, as the team has already committed to Jonathan Huberdeau, Nazem Kadri, and MacKenzie Weegar long-term as they can’t afford a rebuild and to miss their Stanley Cup window. While Treliving stepped down because it seemed he and Sutter were on different pages, the team will have a different voice behind the bench and give players better opportunities.

While players who were signed long-term expressed their negative feelings towards how they were being coached, and that might have had a part to play in Sutter’s firing, the risk of losing upcoming free agents is a bit scarier for the organization. Lindholm and Backlund have been major pieces for the Flames for a number of years now, as they are both very good defensively. Centers are not easy to come by, especially ones who can provide offence and defence as these two can. If the necessary changes weren’t made, there was a good chance both could have walked to free agency after next season or even be traded. Assuming changing head coaches was something these individuals wanted, it’s hard to say if that is it or if they are also waiting to see what direction the team is actually heading in.

Opportunity All-Around

Generally, when there is a new coach behind the bench, he likes to give everyone an equal opportunity to show him what they got. Most times this makes the team play better as a whole because players also think it is their shot to get noticed and play more. We saw this season after the coaching carousel that most of the teams performed much better than their prior season. Take the Boston Bruins, Dallas Stars, and Vegas Golden Knights, for example. All started great out of the gate and held strong the entire season. This is what can be in store for the Flames with a new coach as well.

Adam Ruzicka Calgary Flames  

Under Sutter, prospects and young players had a very hard time getting into the lineup. Matthew Phillips was once again overlooked, and when he did get his shot, the 24-year-old averaged 9:02 of ice time over two games before being sent back down. Other prospects like Jakob Pelletier, Walker Duehr, and Adam Ruzicka should have also gotten more playing time, but Sutter elected to continue to go with the veterans, even giving Milan Lucic second-line minutes at certain points in the season and refusing to make him a healthy scratch until very late in the season.

The Flames still have some convincing to do regarding a number of key players, and it should go deeper than just a coaching change. Although it is a good start, expect more moves and the Flames to bounce back in 2023-24.

I heard this story before when they hired Gulatzan hahaha...I don't know just listening to our new president of hockey operations Don Maloney and the CEO John Bean these guys sound like they full of baloney these two talk and act real shifty and weak...hopefully things get better for Calgary but with these two in charge I doubt it...

So, this review of Darryl Sutter appeared on the Sports Aux app. The reviews are made by confirmed players, but the names are hidden for the sake of anonymity. Somebody did some digging on this person's profile, and it was pretty clear, given whom he's reviewed/the teams he played for, that it was Daniel Carcillo.

image.png

Again, we are talking about a man who bag-skated his team after winning 5 of 6 games to start this season. We're talking about a man who, when he was coaching the Kings, was locked out of the dressing by the players because they were sick of him. It's not like this comes out of left field.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

You loose, you starve....

Meh, kind of glad he's gone, a culture change is needed.

I hope that it never comes as across as trolling, because I really am not... As a fan of a bitter division rival, I think this is a very good move for the Flames organization. People can complain about the players being coddled or whatever they like, but the days where coaches can play mind games, throwing things around the room, abuse and harass ther players, etc, are gone. Folks can bemoan it all they like, but there is tremendous opportunity out there for the teams that find coaches who know how to communicate with the players in an effective way. To back up that, there's this from Frank Seravalli today:

image.png

As an Oilers fan, I'd be scared of the Flames reaching out to Joel Quenneville, which would be a huge upgrade from Darryl Sutter.

----

To add: if Sutter being around was why Gaudreau or Tkachuk wanted out, then last year was an utter calamity for the franchise.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I hope that it never comes as across as trolling, because I really am not... 

12 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

heh, that never even entered my mind...More of a vision, the flames getting on the plane in the cold of cowtown, only to have sutter in an Ivan Drago voice say, you lose you starve.

16 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

As an Oilers fan, I'd be scared of the Flames reaching out to Joel Quenneville, which would be a huge upgrade from Darryl Sutter.

Quenneville would be a true change from Sutter.

Quenneville apparently has no idea what's going on the room, can't be bothered to take an interest in what happens to his players, and accepts no responsibility at all.

Great choice.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, radoran said:

Quenneville would be a true change from Sutter.

Quenneville apparently has no idea what's going on the room, can't be bothered to take an interest in what happens to his players, and accepts no responsibility at all.

Great choice.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

I didn't say that he's a great person. We're talking about a group of athletes where, for many decades now, anything ranging from sexual abuse to gang rape is so rampant that one nation's hockey organization committee created a fund just to pay off victims with millions of dollars every year. They're either victimizers themselves and/or lace them up with those guys all around them every night. I'm going to guess they're much more forgiving than you or I would be to a winning coach who gets along with the everyday players, but ignored what happened to a Black Ace because he was so focused on winning.

Neither of us would hire him, but there's a whole pile of hockey men who would.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2023 at 5:06 AM, Brewin Flames said:

heh, that never even entered my mind...More of a vision, the flames getting on the plane in the cold of cowtown, only to have sutter in an Ivan Drago voice say, you lose you starve.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 7:52 AM, JR Ewing said:

I didn't say that he's a great person. We're talking about a group of athletes where, for many decades now, anything ranging from sexual abuse to gang rape is so rampant that one nation's hockey organization committee created a fund just to pay off victims with millions of dollars every year. They're either victimizers themselves and/or lace them up with those guys all around them every night. I'm going to guess they're much more forgiving than you or I would be to a winning coach who gets along with the everyday players, but ignored what happened to a Black Ace because he was so focused on winning.

Neither of us would hire him, but there's a whole pile of hockey men who would.

Quenville got fired from Florida because of what happened in Chicago he'll never be hired anywhere...

A team that revolts against their coach is too spoiled a team in my opinion...I guess we'll see what a new nicer coach can do with the remains of this Calgary team...but I think it'll just be a repeat of Gulatzen style coaching...

2 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Quenville got fired from Florida because of what happened in Chicago he'll never be hired anywhere...

a) Not to quibble, but he resigned. If he wants to coach again (and indications are that he wishes to) I'm sure he's attended seminars, training, etc.

b) It's possible that he'll never get another job in the NHL. Gary Bettman says it would take a one-on-one meeting with him, hearing him confess to the mistakes he's made as well as what he would do differently today, for him to be alright with Q getting another job. Quenneville coming into that meeting and being able to say "I attended this course and that seminar" would help his cause. I don't know how the future will work out, but I also wouldn't go so far as to say that his chances of coaching again are nil.

2 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

A team that revolts against their coach is too spoiled a team in my opinion...I guess we'll see what a new nicer coach can do with the remains of this Calgary team...but I think it'll just be a repeat of Gulatzen style coaching...

I think it will be alright.

Gulutzan, with Mike Smith and Brian Elliot as his starting goaltenders, averaged 41 wins in his two seasons as coach, compared to Sutter's average of 44 wins. They each, in two seasons, made the playoffs one time. It's not as if all of the bag skates and shabby treatment of the players led to this incredible surge for the Flames the last two years.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:08 AM, JR Ewing said:

a) Not to quibble, but he resigned. If he wants to coach again (and indications are that he wishes to) I'm sure he's attended seminars, training, etc.

b) It's possible that he'll never get another job in the NHL. Gary Bettman says it would take a one-on-one meeting with him, hearing him confess to the mistakes he's made as well as what he would do differently today, for him to be alright with Q getting another job. Quenneville coming into that meeting and being able to say "I attended this course and that seminar" would help his cause. I don't know how the future will work out, but I also wouldn't go so far as to say that his chances of coaching again are nil.

Ok...I just assumed that Quenneville resigned because he didn't want to put up with whatever his superiors wanted of him...maybe Quenneville knew he had to jump through hoops and decided to say **** you betman and retire instead of put up with their ****...

On 5/25/2023 at 11:08 AM, JR Ewing said:

I think it will be alright.

Gulutzan, with Mike Smith and Brian Elliot as his starting goaltenders, averaged 41 wins in his two seasons as coach, compared to Sutter's average of 44 wins. They each, in two seasons, made the playoffs one time. It's not as if all of the bag skates and shabby treatment of the players led to this incredible surge for the Flames the last two years.

Yeah...well I guess I just prefer Sutter and Hartley rather than Gulutzan and whatever Edmonton coach name is...even thought Conroy already says they going opposite of what Sutter and trusting the youth to win now...I like Craig Conroy and agree he's the best choice he's a popular guy plus I loved him when he and Sutter took Calgary to the finals...

Still I'm a Sutter fan through and through and when I played I liked a Sutter type coach rather than a buddy/friend type coach...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...