** Wild 2023 Off Season and Summer **

Jimtown guy

12 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

McIntyre, Swaney and Mermis signed two-way deals.

Addison, Duhaime and Gustafson qualified offers

Steel and Shaw not tendered

Interesting that Shaw wasn’t tendered. After he was injured, Guerin made it sound like he was going to keep him around. 

Blake Wheeler signs with the New York Rangers for $800k.  Sounds like the Wild is signing Vinni Letteri to a two-year, two-way deal.  Yea, the Shaw one had to be tough unless they have some other way to come back to it.  If not, then that's sad after doing all that he did only to blow his knee out a 4th time.  

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Interesting that Shaw wasn’t tendered. After he was injured, Guerin made it sound like he was going to keep him around. 

Zane McIntyre being signed to another deal is very interesting.  Because then its a 3-goalie competition in Iowa again.  That would mean Hunter Jones would likely be back as the starter for the Heartlanders who by all accounts have been a complete tire fire.  One would think this would be the year where Wallstedt's the starter and McIntyre / Jones is his back up.  

2 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Has Gustafson accepted his qualifying offer?

Nope.  And it doesn't sound like either side is very close to a deal either according to Russo's latest Worst Seats from the House.  He thinks it may come to a point where the team just cuts bait and trades him and looks for another goaltender.  Unfortunately, a lot of the cheaper goaltenders were picked up today.  There can't be a lot of cheaper goaltenders available.  

I noticed a lot of teams jettisoned players in their early to mid-20's instead of re-signing them even though they were RFA's.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

Actually not tendering Shaw a qualifying offer probably helps Shaw the most Now he can sign with anyone if he wants or the Wild can sign him later. 

We shall see.  I would still guess the team is on he hook for his rehab of his knee.  

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

We shall see.  I would still guess the team is on he hook for his rehab of his knee.  

Yea there must be some type of insurance program similar to worker’s compensation. 

30 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Good question. Are players self-insured through players union? Would think league would have some consistency rather than each club providing team insurance....🤔

Hockey Players need to protect themselves off the ice too

Article describes different types of insurance coverages the players have. 

• Like 2

I can’t see the Wild signing anyone of significance. They just don’t have the cap space. Right now they have roughly $8.2M in cap space and need to sign 6-7 more players. Generally a team likes to keep about $1M in cap space for call ups, etc. so that leaves the Wild about $7M in cap space. They can spend on average $1M per player. You’re not getting difference makers for $1M. 

Maybe the buy-outs are going finally drag the Wild kicking and screaming into a rebuild…

A lot of teams have shed younger, mid-20's players this season even if they were RFA's.  While Guerin has said Lettieri will be in competition for the bottom spot you know the younger players will probably have to schitt the bed in order to be supplanted by Lettieri or Lucchini.  

Now toss in Pat Maroon who is going to be on your 3rd or 4th line.  

• Like 1

According to MNWild prospects, Cajakovic was booted off the Slovakian national team for being a bad teammate.  It didn't specify what he did, but according to him he's accepted their judgement and has tried to be better in that regard but interesting tidbit.  I just hope Tampa was jettisoning him now for this same reason even though the original incident happened back in 2018-19.  

15 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I can’t see the Wild signing anyone of significance. They just don’t have the cap space. Right now they have roughly $8.2M in cap space and need to sign 6-7 more players. Generally a team likes to keep about $1M in cap space for call ups, etc. so that leaves the Wild about $7M in cap space. They can spend on average $1M per player. You’re not getting difference makers for $1M. 

Maybe the buy-outs are going finally drag the Wild kicking and screaming into a rebuild…

Sometimes interventions happen on their own.  If this is how we get there, I won't feel bad about it.  

2 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

That actually makes me nervous as BG may be holding out 1-2M to sign him back here.

Maybe it shows that Dumba isn’t all that and a bag of chips. For such a stud defenseman, BG couldn’t find any trade partners last summer. His play wasn’t anything to write home about this past season either. He was a good defenseman. $6M worth? I don’t know about that. The Wild paid him banking that he would continue to hit 50 point a season from the blue line. He’s averaged about half that since he’s signed that $6M contract. 

And I’d take Dumba back for $1-$2M in a heartbeat.

Edited by IllaZilla

On 7/9/2023 at 11:11 AM, IllaZilla said:

Maybe it shows that Dumba isn’t all that and a bag of chips. For such a stud defenseman, BG couldn’t find any trade partners last summer. His play wasn’t anything to write home about this past season either. He was a good defenseman. $6M worth? I don’t know about that. The Wild paid him banking that he would continue to hit 50 point a season from the blue line. He’s averaged about half that since he’s signed that $6M contract. 

Take out his big season and his average is fair at best. How long do we hang on to someone for just 'hopes' ?
It's time to rebuild as much as possible with the youth and not hold on to those who haven't made any strides of improvement that have been here for many seasons.
That said, I'm still wondering why BG got Gogs back. An experienced D at a good price, Maybe, But we don't need more than what we have right now.

54 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Take out his big season and his average is fair at best. How long do we hang on to someone for just 'hopes' ?
It's time to rebuild as much as possible with the youth and not hold on to those who haven't made any strides of improvement that have been here for many seasons.
That said, I'm still wondering why BG got Gogs back. An experienced D at a good price, Maybe, But we don't need more than what we have right now.

YOU SAID THE "R" WORD! BLASPHEMER!

• Haha 1