If Michkov is on the board at #7 trade question...

OccamsRazor

...would the Wild jump at the chance to land him on their top line to go with Kaprizov??

If so what would be the return you think you'd think was a fair return.

Flyers are rebuilding and the Wild are on a fence and i think should be in the going for it soon to show Kirill this is where he wants to stay and try and win a Cup.

Or would you just rather keep your players and picks and just take the best player at 21.

I know all this is highly unlikely but hey for conversations sake Wild aren't going to have any other way to get inside the top 10 i think...

Michkov recently signed a deal to stay in the KHL until 2026.  While the Wild wouldn't necessarily be in a hurry, the hope would be the opportunity to play with a guy with his talent would tempt Kaprizov to stick around.  

As far as making a deal goes...not sure what else you'd want and that would probably determine whether Bill Guerin would consider it or not.  But I'd rather see us take a swing at Michkov than take a risk on a guy like Sale who is more boom / bust.  Michkov probably will be a star, you just have to be willing to wait for him.  

I’d like to find a way to trade up and get him, but I’m scared of the cost. There has been some talks amongst some Wild fans and on radio and media, that perhaps you could trade Rossi and move up. I’m not ready to give up on Marco….and I’m not putting Faber in any deal. If you can do it without them, go for it, but I doubt you could.

Trading up will be expensive.  As far as giving up on Rossi goes, I'm ambivalent.  He's had time; even after his health scare to take the initiative.  While people want to talk about his points at the AHL level, he didn't produce in the games / moments when Iowa needed him to.  He didn't do anything with Minnesota to make you really say he compelled the team to give him another call up either.  

I am more compelled to sit back and hope the KHL deal scares enough teams off he falls to us or falls closer where the asking price to move up may not be as steep.  Getting into the Top 10 will cost a king's ransom this year.  

• Good Post 1

I don't think Krill will stick around - he has little loyalty IMO...  He might have been close to the best thing that has happened to MN - but whether you like it or not - he showed his true colors with his hold out - and that he didn't have much choice other than to get MN out of the way before he could move on for more $ and to a more fully built out team...  My bet is he just views MN as buying his time - and getting paid well to do it...

I've listened to one of Derek's podcasts - and I just don't see how MN is going to get those types of players and the size/speed they need to dominate - and be consistent...  I would bet Krill is keeping his eye on a handful of other teams that he'd jump at if he had the chance...

Skilled guy, yes... Loyal, don't think so...  No doubt he notices the massive issues with personnel and the gaping holes in coaches who can't seem to ever fix certain critical things...  Krill wants to be a star - and I think we all know that's not going to happen in MN - he needs a stronger supporting cast than just him...  I almost kind of wish his whole hold out would not have materialized - I think the team could have some very strong components right now if that would have happened - but, there is still that massive consistency issue with most players in MN... I dunno - just have a strange feeling we put too many eggs into one basket with him - and I think he's only looking out for himself and his $...

Edited by Confrontational
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Confrontational said:

My bet is he just views MN as buying his time - and getting paid well to do it...

Unless you can obtain skilled talent to go around him and snagging a guy like Michkov maybe able to do that say for instance find a legit Russian center, (he doesn't have to be Russian someone you know can develop some quick chemistry with) and get you your top stud line of the future.

Star power is needed and that requires big bold moves...it isn't something that comes about being passive in this league.

But an aggressive retool can take place and i think Vegas showed you you don't have to have the stud goalie in net but to have the right team around your goalie.

On 6/23/2023 at 3:02 PM, Confrontational said:

I don't think Krill will stick around - he has little loyalty IMO...  He might have been close to the best thing that has happened to MN - but whether you like it or not - he showed his true colors with his hold out - and that he didn't have much choice other than to get MN out of the way before he could move on for more $ and to a more fully built out team...  My bet is he just views MN as buying his time - and getting paid well to do it...

I've listened to one of Derek's podcasts - and I just don't see how MN is going to get those types of players and the size/speed they need to dominate - and be consistent...  I would bet Krill is keeping his eye on a handful of other teams that he'd jump at if he had the chance...

Skilled guy, yes... Loyal, don't think so...  No doubt he notices the massive issues with personnel and the gaping holes in coaches who can't seem to ever fix certain critical things...  Krill wants to be a star - and I think we all know that's not going to happen in MN - he needs a stronger supporting cast than just him...  I almost kind of wish his whole hold out would not have materialized - I think the team could have some very strong components right now if that would have happened - but, there is still that massive consistency issue with most players in MN... I dunno - just have a strange feeling we put too many eggs into one basket with him - and I think he's only looking out for himself and his $...

Thanks for listening!  This team has this season to consider whether #97 is going to stick around or not or whether they should move him before his full no movement clause kicks in. 

Would adding a player like Michkov make him want to stay, or wouldn't it matter?  Do the team's prospect pool really influence him one way or another; those are all things Bill Guerin will have to figure out and then act accordingly.  One thing Bill Guerin cannot do, is to let #97 walk for nothing.   

On 6/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Unless you can obtain skilled talent to go around him and snagging a guy like Michkov maybe able to do that say for instance find a legit Russian center, (he doesn't have to be Russian someone you know can develop some quick chemistry with) and get you your top stud line of the future.

Star power is needed and that requires big bold moves...it isn't something that comes about being passive in this league.

But an aggressive retool can take place and i think Vegas showed you you don't have to have the stud goalie in net but to have the right team around your goalie.

(shrugs)  Vegas is a way different animal.  They got a bunch of players entering their prime, they didn't have to rely on players they drafted and developed in order to improve.  Toss in the league letting them pull a Tampa Bay and open up cap space with LTIR, they didn't have to travel the path of regular season misery to adding the kind of talent you need to turn your fortunes around.  

If your defense is big and strong enough to control things your end; then you can get by with Adin Hill or Logan Thompson as your goaltender.  

14 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Thanks for listening!  This team has this season to consider whether #97 is going to stick around or not or whether they should move him before his full no movement clause kicks in. 

Would adding a player like Michkov make him want to stay, or wouldn't it matter?  Do the team's prospect pool really influence him one way or another; those are all things Bill Guerin will have to figure out and then act accordingly.  One thing Bill Guerin cannot do, is to let #97 walk for nothing.   

Imagine the damage that could be done without the Super/Parise noose - could grab 3 or 4 guys in the $2-$4m range and surround Krill...  Without that I honestly think I'd fetch top dollar for Krill - absolutely every team would want a piece of him...  But, then we're back to our 20 year old issue - and that's that we can't seem to consistently have our guys in another gear - or special teams being a massive threat...  

I guess I'm just really here to only bitch - there's a lot of tricky decision BG needs to make - and there's a lot of moving parts and impacts based on those decisions...  I just get a little nervous that Krill is not looking at MN long term - and my bet is his agent is chomping on increasing his value after next season - where they'll play that game for the highest bidder...

Anyways, didn't mean to distract from Michkov - I only know a little bit about him from Bleacher...  

Derek - always short on time - do you have a podcast that zeros in on our options with Krill - and what happens if MN shops him...?

Problem is, you'd still have Parise and Suter on your team then.  I don't want either them near my team again.  The timing for this organization continues to work against its goals / interests.  Again, because of the stupid retroactive punishment the NHL imposed that put the Wild in a Catch-22 situation because of cap recapture.  But no...Tampa Bay and Vegas totally didn't abuse LTIR at all for a massive competitive advantage.  The Wild didn't get a competitive advantage in the first place and then got punished on top of it.  

I don't have a show specifically talking about Kirill and his options.  However I've mentioned many times the point of no return is after this upcoming season.  Guerin will have to size that up and decide whether he can realistically keep him or not.  If you look at the cap situations around the league; it doesn't really look that great.  Most of the teams that are way under the cap are either garbage or want to remain near the floor (aka Arizona).  

Certainly a portion of the fanbase will lose their crap if the Wild shop #97, but they may not really have a choice if he gives them signs he's wanting to just coast into being a UFA and wishes to seek opportunities elsewhere.  The NMC kicks in after this season, and then while you can ask him to waive it to try to make a deal he's clearly going to have all of the leverage and ability to decide where he's willing to go and that might not be ideal either.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, OccamsRazor said:

But an aggressive retool can take place and i think Vegas showed you don't have to have the stud goalie in net but to have the right team around your goalie.

I agree with your message.  In supporting this, I watched yesterday a hockey program on YouTube. Commentators said Kaprizov would not stay long for the Wild, but high chance that he will go to Philadelphia and will play with Michkov when that player will start his NHL career. Kirill wants to play with talented Russian players. Better communication, better chemistry, better outcome for the team. Maybe the Wild will start looking for same formula to avoid his transfer to another club? Interesting, I am talking about this for years. Out of our 9 Russian speaking players-prospects which we had in a past we have got zero to add to Kaprizov's talent. We should bring here soon Khusnutdinov (draft#2;37 overall) and Yurov(draft #1; 24 overall). Both have a nice experience in KHL ( both players played 3 seasons already for top teams) and they are not expensive too (they are even not signed). And maybe our team will look better with them?

19 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Will Kirill want to stick around?  Or will he seek a championship elsewhere?  

Seen it already talked about joining Michkov on the Left side of his line when he comes over....got the wheels turning...

14 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

If it happens, as long as its part of a trade rather than just seeing him go via free agency I'd be fine with it depending on the return.  

I agree you just might not be happy with the return...

@Alexandron @CreaseAndAssist

Funny you should mention this ... Flyers writer for the Athletic was just proposing this very notion in a fun speculative article he wrote a few days ago.  His article centering around what the Flyers roster "might" look like if the rebuild goes well.   As I said...it is fun and purely speculative article.   At least it gives a some hope into the future .......

image.png.a0ada358854ea09492668eb92405971c.png

Michkov finally makes it to Philadelphia. And he’s bringing help with him.

After patiently avoiding the high-end of the UFA market for three consecutive summers, Briere finally decides — with Michkov signed and ready to make his NHL debut — it’s time to get aggressive. Frustrated with Minnesota’s continued inability to break through their first-round-and-out mediocrity, Kirill Kaprizov is ready to relocate when his contract expires in the summer of 2026, and he’s intrigued by the idea of pairing with the next Russian superstar. Briere opens the checkbook, luring Kaprizov with a seven-year, $84 million contract offer and giving Michkov a mentor from his home country to help ease the transition.

As for Cutter Gauthier, after a tumultuous rookie season in 2024-25 featuring multiple clashes with head coach John Tortorella, he breaks out as a sophomore and proves he can stick in the middle at the NHL level, finishing with 36 goals and 66 points. Briere bets that with Kaprizov and Michkov on his wings, Gauthier will take the next step to point-per-game status and solidify himself as a top-of-the-lineup center for years to come.

After patiently avoiding the high-end of the UFA market for three consecutive summers, Briere finally decides — with Michkov signed and ready to make his NHL debut — it’s time to get aggressive. Frustrated with Minnesota’s continued inability to break through their first-round-and-out mediocrity, Kirill Kaprizov is ready to relocate when his contract expires in the summer of 2026, and he’s intrigued by the idea of pairing with the next Russian superstar. Briere opens the checkbook, luring Kaprizov with a seven-year, $84 million contract offer and giving Michkov a mentor from his home country to help ease the transition.

As for Cutter Gauthier, after a tumultuous rookie season in 2024-25 featuring multiple clashes with head coach John Tortorella, he breaks out as a sophomore and proves he can stick in the middle at the NHL level, finishing with 36 goals and 66 points. Briere bets that with Kaprizov and Michkov on his wings, Gauthier will take the next step to point-per-game status and solidify himself as a top-of-the-lineup center for years to come.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

@Alexandron @CreaseAndAssist

Funny you should mention this ... Flyers writer for the Athletic was just proposing this very notion in a fun speculative article he wrote a few days ago.  His article centering around what the Flyers roster "might" look like if the rebuild goes well.   As I said...it is fun and purely speculative article.   At least it gives a some hope into the future .......

image.png.a0ada358854ea09492668eb92405971c.png

Yep crazy to see what the future holds. It is exciting to have a Super star in the making and well let's see how it goes...dream BIG!

• Like 1