Terry, Ducks sign 7 yr deal

Brewin Flames

Terry signs 7-year contract with Ducks, avoids arbitration

Forward had 61 points last season, played in NHL All-Star Game

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 1:13 PM
cut.jpg

Troy Terry signed a seven-year contract with the Anaheim Ducks on Wednesday. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The 25-year-old forward was a restricted free agent and avoided a salary arbitration hearing scheduled for Wednesday.

Terry had 61 points (23 goals, 38 assists) in 70 games for the Ducks last season.  

Terry, who set NHL career highs in goals (37) and points (67) in 2021-22, played in the NHL All-Star Game each of the past two seasons.  

Selected by Anaheim in the fifth round (No. 148) of the 2015 NHL Draft, Terry has 176 points (75 goals, 101 assists) in 274 regular-season games. 

• Good Post 1

Ducks' Troy Terry agrees to 7-year deal through 2029-30 season

• wyshynski_greg.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Greg Wyshynski, ESPNAug 2, 2023, 01:45 PM ET

Troy Terry and the Anaheim Ducks have agreed to a seven-year contract extension through the 2029-30 season, ahead of Wednesday's scheduled arbitration hearing.

According to an NHL source, the contract carries a $7 million average annual value against the salary cap. That gives him the highest AAV of any Anaheim player currently -- although 22-year-old star forward Trevor Zegras remains without a contract for next season as a restricted free agent.

Multiple reports indicated there was a wide gap between the Ducks and Terry in their arbitration filings: Anaheim wanted $4.5 million while Terry wanted $8 million. His last contract, a three-year deal, carried an AAV of just $1.45 million.

Terry, 25, had 61 points in 70 games last season for the Ducks. He's two years removed from a breakout season that saw Terry score 37 goals, the highest total for an Anaheim player since Corey Perry netted 43 goals in 2013-14. Terry represented the Ducks at the 2023 NHL All-Star Game, his second straight all-star appearance.

In six NHL seasons, the right wing has 176 points in 274 games. Terry was drafted by the Ducks in the fifth round (148th overall) of the 2015 NHL Draft.

• Good Post 1

a

8 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

JMO....but absolutely stoooooooopid contract to give him.

Jesus (SMH) Christ.

I am just absolutely speechless .......  so 49 million for a 0.64 pt/game player ..... 

A nice player but not at that amount of coin ...... What is Zegras going to command???   $8+ million / year?

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

a

I am just absolutely speechless .......  so 49 million for a 0.64 pt/game player ..... 

A nice player but not at that amount of coin ...... What is Zegras going to command???   $8+ million / year?

I don't think after the Chuck Fletcher reign in Philly that we Flyer fans should be knocking any contracts.

It's silly, and that's pro sports. But it's better than Hayes contract.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

*Another* .6 point per game player...

His value is age and the hope he is on an upward swing of production.

Also they need to reach the cap floor.

Imagine the insanity of giving the same deal to a player three years older whose production has clearly plateaued on a team "spending to the cap".

image.gif

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, radoran said:

*Another* .6 point per game player...

His value is age and the hope he is on an upward swing of production.

Also they need to reach the cap floor.

Imagine the insanity of giving the same deal to a player three years older whose production has clearly plateaued on a team "spending to the cap".

image.gif

And that is the difference between a seasoned GM (though I admit Verbeek is only in his 2nd year) and an imposter posing as a GM. (Chucky I am looking at you)

Agree totally with you…. The Ducks are betting that Terry will outperform his contract…..

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I kind of find it ironic that the teams and owners kicked and screamed and shut the league down because of the "ridiculous" contracts that players were getting, and yet here we are... 

yup …. Here we go again 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I kind of find it ironic that the teams and owners kicked and screamed and shut the league down because of the "ridiculous" contracts that players were getting, and yet here we are... 

The only people the owners could find that they could get to force them to stop overpaying the players was the players.

The owners kept right on going the same way they always had.

• Like 1

I don't agree with the amount for sure but I'm not surprised...Zegras and Terry and MacTavish are their future and losing any of them would be an embarrassment...in any event bettman will have the NHL similar to the NBA soon enough anyways...