Wilson, Caps sign 7 yr $45 million deal

Wilson signs 7-year, $45.5 million contract with Capitals through 2030-31

Forward had 22 points, led Washington in penalty minutes last season

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 10:50 AM
cut.jpg

Tom Wilson signed a seven-year, $45.5 million contract with the Washington Capitals on Friday. It has an average annual value of $6.5 million and begins with the 2024-25 season, running through the 2030-31 season.

The 29-year-old forward, who could have become an unrestricted free agent after this season, had 22 points (13 goals, nine assists) in 33 games for the Capitals last season and led them in penalty minutes (78).

"Hey Caps fans, so excited to sign an extension to stay with this team," Wilson posted on social media. "It's really what I always wanted. The fan base, the organization, the city. It all means so much to me. I just wanted to say thank you for all the support over the years. You've made D.C. feel like home and I can't wait to get started this season and keep it going."

Wilson set NHL career-highs in goals (24), assists (28), points (52), power-play points (10) and time on ice per game (18:35) in 78 games in 2021-22, representing the Capitals at the 2022 NHL All-Star Game.

"Tom possesses all the intangibles needed to win in this league and we are extremely pleased to sign him to a long-term contract, giving him the opportunity to finish his career in a Capitals' uniform," Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan said.

"Throughout his career, Tom has improved every facet of his game through his drive and competitiveness. We feel his work ethic and leadership qualities will be a tremendous asset to our organization for years to come."

Selected by Washington in the first round (No. 16) of the 2012 NHL Draft, Wilson has 295 points (128 goals, 167 assists) and 1,299 penalty minutes in 680 regular-season games and 31 points (14 goals, 17 assists) in 83 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Wilson had 15 points (five goals, 10 assists) in the 2018 playoffs to help the Capitals win the Stanley Cup.

• Good Post 1

One again, (SMFH)

Why ?

My head is about to explode.....is there a rhyme or reason that GM's are giving asinine contract to players ? It's s if the only way to guarantee a player stays is to massively orverpay.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

One again, (SMFH)

Why ?

My head is about to explode.....is there a rhyme or reason that GM's are giving asinine contract to players ? It's s if the only way to guarantee a player stays is to massively orverpay.

I thought the very same thing ......  

It's like they did not learn their lesson the first time around ....

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

@ruxpin

That contract won't age well at all.....starting tomorrow.  You're signing a 29 year old power forward to a seven year extension? This has heavy Milan Lucic vibes. Caps should be rebuilding right now, and are instead making bad decisions based around getting Ovie his record...

Come 24-25 Caps willl have OV a freak at 38..but Oshie at 37, Backstrom at 36, Kuz at 32 and Wilson at 30 making near 39 mill.

When the Caps get into Cap hell (pun not intended) .... they are going to crash hard.....

Fletch is that you .......

and ....this is the best part .....there is a modified NTC attached! .... :hehe:

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I thought the very same thing ......  

It's like they did not learn their lesson the first time around ....

They've learned a lesson.

It's that all the other GMs give out bad contracts.

• Like 3

a) It's a terrible and damned near buyout-proof. The aging curve for players like Wilson is more than a bit grim, and he has a long history of injury problems. I don't think the Caps see it much differently than the rest of us, though, and it's probably more about

b) The Caps know they're going to be bad, so they've signed a player who is very popular with the fanbase, who will have a reason to come to the arena besides watching Ovi chase the goal record.

If it's because they think Wilson is an important piece going forward, every divisional opponent should be very happy. Hell, they should be happy no matter what.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

a) It's a terrible and damned near buyout-proof. The aging curve for players like Wilson is more than a bit grim, and he has a long history of injury problems. I don't think the Caps see it much differently than the rest of us, though, and it's probably more about

b) The Caps know they're going to be bad, so they've signed a player who is very popular with the fanbase, who will have a reason to come to the arena besides watching Ovi chase the goal record.

If it's because they think Wilson is an important piece going forward, every divisional opponent should be very happy. Hell, they should be happy no matter what.

Yeah I agree it's about keeping a popular player like they did with Lucic etc...Wilson will protect Ovie etc and the fans love them both...