Sharks preview- is there any reason for hope?

yave1964

PREVIOUS SEASON 22-44-16 60 POINTS minus 87 goals differential. 

Worst stat of the season is they only won 8 games at home all year. Not only was that dead last by a large amount, but 29 other teams won at least double at home what the Sharks did. eleven teams won at least triple the home games as the Sharks.

ADDITIONS Granlund came over from Pittsburgh Hoffman from the Habs in the Karlsson deal. Blackwood steps in as the default 1A or 1B in net. Rutta and Burroughs are 7th defenseman who will be playing nightly. Zadina a bust in Detroit will be given a chance to resurect his career. Duclair brings his offensive game from Florida as well as his lack of defense.

DEPARTURES Karlsson and his 101 points from the back end are gone to the Penguins. Reimer left for Detroit, Gregor is a decent 6D is now in Toronto. 

PROSPECTS For a team in obvious rebuild mode, the NHL ready prospects are simply not there. I love William Eklund as a sniper on the wing and he could crack the top six,. Bordeleau is an ok 4th line center, Henry Thrun can play defense a bit but is very raw. All three will contribute to varying degrees this year. They drafted well when Will smith fell into their lap but he is nowhere near ready. They have a few B and C prospects as well but all are at least a year or more away. Very mediocre talent pool

SO THE QUESTION, IS THERE ANY REASON FOR HOPE IN THE 23-24 SEASON? No, not really. Lets say Zadina and Duclair both pot 20 goals, Hoffman and Granlund score 40-45 points each, Eklund slashes with 20-30-50, the offense which really was not terrible last year will be there. 

The problem is that not all of those things will happen all at once and holdovers from when the Sharks were good Hertl/Couture are another year older.  The other problem is the defense is bad, as in wretched as in patheticaly awful. Vlasic is a shell of his former self, Benning is a tweener, not really an NHL player more of an AHL blueliner but will play 20 minutes a night or more out of neccesity. Blackwood and Kahkonnen are not good enough to cover up for one of the two worst defenses in the game, possibly the absolute worst.

Long season ahead, they are playing for a chance at the first pick in the draft to draft Celebrini. Nothing more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brewin Flames said:

David Quinn was just on NHL radio an hr ago, and even he stated that while he projected the offense to be a strenth, they were really going to have to tighten up netminding and play solid in front in order to have a playoff shot...

You cannot win with that defense or the two goalies. Yeah, last year Blackwood was a media darling which was just lazy reporting, he has never done anything to deserve the praise that has been handed him but then last year they turned on him and he isny as bad as he is now portrayed. That said, he is probably at best the 24th or 25th best starting goalie. At best.

That defense, oof. Just pathetic. They may wind up with Tyler Myers after his bonus is paid in a week and Vancouver deals him, but so what? He isnt much of a player anyway. Mario ferraro is a fantastic third pair defender, a favorite of mine as a 3rd pair guy, he will play first pair minutes, 24, 25 minutes a night. This defense rivals Chicago as the worst in the game. 

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

PREVIOUS SEASON 22-44-16 60 POINTS minus 87 goals differential. 

Worst stat of the season is they only won 8 games at home all year. Not only was that dead last by a large amount, but 29 other teams won at least double at home what the Sharks did. eleven teams won at least triple the home games as the Sharks.

ADDITIONS Granlund came over from Pittsburgh Hoffman from the Habs in the Karlsson deal. Blackwood steps in as the default 1A or 1B in net. Rutta and Burroughs are 7th defenseman who will be playing nightly. Zadina a bust in Detroit will be given a chance to resurect his career. Duclair brings his offensive game from Florida as well as his lack of defense.

DEPARTURES Karlsson and his 101 points from the back end are gone to the Penguins. Reimer left for Detroit, Gregor is a decent 6D is now in Toronto. 

PROSPECTS For a team in obvious rebuild mode, the NHL ready prospects are simply not there. I love William Eklund as a sniper on the wing and he could crack the top six,. Bordeleau is an ok 4th line center, Henry Thrun can play defense a bit but is very raw. All three will contribute to varying degrees this year. They drafted well when Will smith fell into their lap but he is nowhere near ready. They have a few B and C prospects as well but all are at least a year or more away. Very mediocre talent pool

SO THE QUESTION, IS THERE ANY REASON FOR HOPE IN THE 23-24 SEASON? No, not really. Lets say Zadina and Duclair both pot 20 goals, Hoffman and Granlund score 40-45 points each, Eklund slashes with 20-30-50, the offense which really was not terrible last year will be there. 

The problem is that not all of those things will happen all at once and holdovers from when the Sharks were good Hertl/Couture are another year older.  The other problem is the defense is bad, as in wretched as in patheticaly awful. Vlasic is a shell of his former self, Benning is a tweener, not really an NHL player more of an AHL blueliner but will play 20 minutes a night or more out of neccesity. Blackwood and Kahkonnen are not good enough to cover up for one of the two worst defenses in the game, possibly the absolute worst.

Long season ahead, they are playing for a chance at the first pick in the draft to draft Celebrini. Nothing more. 

The hope is we suck so bad we take last place and slackin for Macklin

We have 2 more years of sucking ahead of us and that's ok with me as long as we draft smart. Couture and Vlasic have 3 and 4 years left on their contracts and that sucks. However....We have 1 more retention spot. In 2 years the Burns retention is up and we have a 2nd. Some teams MIGHT want another 2nd line C caliber at a discount and want Couture. Vlasic is a buyout Candidate.

but Gregor isn't a Dman mate lol. He is a 4th line Center

Our top prospects are...

1. Will Smith

Slam dunk talent

2. William Eklund

I was shocked and happy as hell when he fell to 7th. He was in many ways the best offensive player of his draft.

3. Quentin Musty

His hockey sense need honing, but he has some nasty shot and the physical tools to be a good power forward. Was a first overall OHL pick in 2021 and started to find his game after a coaching change. Had he found it earlier he likely goes higher than he did when the Sharks nabbed him

4. Shakir Mukhamadullin

Has strong potential. Can his bad habits be coached out? Maybe. He did well in his limited games in the Sharks AHL with 10 points in 12 games and our AHL team SUCKS. Im looking forward to seeing more. I actually hope he gets 9 games with the sharks this year. our blueline is so bad LOLOL.

5. Filip Bystedt

His ceiling is 2nd line C, but I see him more in a checking line role.

6. Henry Thrun

Has 3/4 Dman in his future.

I see quite a bit of similarity to the path the Flyers are taking.  The only difference I can see is after so many decades (not even years, but decades), essentially going back to the Flyers' winning the Cup in the mid-1970's, they are finally committed to a full rebuild. At least Jones, Hilferty, and Dannyboy saying all the right things.  I am not sure the Sharks are fully committed to rebuilding, but I don't follow them closely enough to know....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I see quite a bit of similarity to the path the Flyers are taking.  The only difference I can see is after so many decades (not even years, but decades), essentially going back to the Flyers' winning the Cup in the mid-1970's, they are finally committed to a full rebuild. At least Jones, Hilferty, and Dannyboy saying all the right things.  I am not sure the Sharks are fully committed to rebuilding, but I don't follow them closely enough to know....

We sure aren't trying to win lol.

We just traded our top 2 players for picks and prospects and the goal is to finish dead last.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Jumbo Joe is the man. Such great memories when he played for Davos in the Swiss league during lock-outs and winning the championship title, the town where I'm born, and he married his wife who's also from there. He still likes to go back there for summer training and is keeping bounds with the area. Definitely one of my favorite players.  

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

On 9/6/2023 at 3:34 PM, Brewin Flames said:

David Quinn was just on NHL radio an hr ago, and even he stated that while he projected the offense to be a strenth, they were really going to have to tighten up netminding and play solid in front in order to have a playoff shot...

And, so far into the season, he's been wrong on both points. This team just sucks.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 7:35 PM, thegx.ca said:

Literally worse lineup and worse team on paper in NHL history this 2024 team looks like a farm team...so no reason for hope at all...

Everything looks great to me.

The goal is tanking for picks lol

• Haha 1