Petersen and Laczynski Waived

Howie58

Greetings:

I just read this:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-roster-moves-training-camp-cal-petersen-tanner-laczynski-20231003.html

I guess Tanner is being identified as a sometime call-up and a likely AHLer.  Petersen...not sure what to say.  He doesn't make himself more trade-worthy in the A.  We only get a million and change in cap relief.  I guess that was understood at the time of trade. 

Thanks for the update Howie. I feel better now that Petersen is officially going to Lehigh. Not sure why Briere ….oh was her part of the Provorov trade? Whatever, hopefully that’s the last of him in the O&B. The little I saw of him he was okay but the Flyers don’t need him. 

4 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I just read this:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-roster-moves-training-camp-cal-petersen-tanner-laczynski-20231003.html

I guess Tanner is being identified as a sometime call-up and a likely AHLer.  Petersen...not sure what to say.  He doesn't make himself more trade-worthy in the A.  We only get a million and change in cap relief.  I guess that was understood at the time of trade. 

I know this might not be the popular choice but i'm keeping Sandstrom and letting Ersson lead the Phantoms deep on a playoff run.

Sandstrom can either earn himself a decent trade out of town somewhere to compete for a backup spot the rest of the year or the following or goes back home, but i'm hoping he earns something even if it's just a 4th round pick on his way out.

I don't want this team to compete for a wild card spot but i know they going to push hard for it. I don't want them to be happy losing.

• Like 3

Sam is a keeper.  One more year of development might not hurt. Felix was probably better than his numbers suggest, but I doubt he would see much time as backup.

I looked at Petersen's buyout numbers after the season. Not bad. You can't fault the guy for taking what was offered. But he is probably a tough trade. 

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Sam is a keeper.  One more year of development might not hurt. Felix was probably better than his numbers suggest, but I doubt he would see much time as backup.

I looked at Petersen's buyout numbers after the season. Not bad. You can't fault the guy for taking what was offered. But he is probably a tough trade. 

I'm hoping Peterson refuses to report and becomes a free agent.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

'm hoping Peterson refuses to report and becomes a free agent.

That's an interesting thought.  But if I were his agent, I'd say stop.  Nobody will pay him this bloat.  Someone might offer a league minimum....But...maybe he asks for a release and goes to the KHL!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

That's an interesting thought.  But if I were his agent, I'd say stop.  Nobody will pay him this bloat.  Someone might offer a league minimum....But...maybe he asks for a release and goes to the KHL!

Petersen ain't walking away from 10 mill not going to happen.

He going to ride the bus and live like a rock star with that money.

Maybe the sumer they bite the bullet and just buy him out.

Or pick up some salary and trade from some bent pucks.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm hoping Peterson refuses to report and becomes a free agent.

I know it wasn't here it was somewhere else but I agree what you said I would have snagged Jacob Bernard-Docker as a right hand shot as the 6th or 7th guy and waived Seeler.

But that's just me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know it wasn't here it was somewhere else but I agree what you said I would have snagged Jacob Bernard-Docker as a right hand shot as the 6th or 7th guy and waived Seeler.

But that's just me.

I've always been a fan of his. Just a silky smooth defensive defenseman that is smart with the puck and can get it out of the zone with relative ease. He's not a physical guy and that seems to be a problem with teams, which I don't understand. Why the brawn over brains thinking is still endorsed is beyond me.

42 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I've always been a fan of his. Just a silky smooth defensive defenseman that is smart with the puck and can get it out of the zone with relative ease. He's not a physical guy and that seems to be a problem with teams, which I don't understand. Why the brawn over brains thinking is still endorsed is beyond me.

Breaking News Flyers fans: Samuel Ersson has won the backup job over Felix Sandstrom, per John Tortorella

• Like 1

I wonder if we lose Sandstrom...or if the Brass cares?  I also wonder if this decision has anything to do with the ongoing investigation?  Briere stated he didn't know anything about it.  That said, nobody has ruled out any suspensions.  Ersson may be viewed as someone to start more games if necessary. 

4 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I wonder if we lose Sandstrom...or if the Brass cares?  I also wonder if this decision has anything to do with the ongoing investigation?  Briere stated he didn't know anything about it.  That said, nobody has ruled out any suspensions.  Ersson may be viewed as someone to start more games if necessary. 

Can't find the quote but Torts said Sandstrom ain't going anywhere.

They must be planning on keeping 3 goalies.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Would have went with Sandstrom for so he could help push towards a top 5 pick.

Now with Ersson they'll be pushing for a Wild card spot.

🤬

I don't think the players, coaching staff or management want a full on tank. And I kind of get it. If you create an environment of losing, then the players become accustomed to it. Now, if the Flyers are out of the playoff race by December/January, then yes, embrace a tank. Move players, add draft picks and prospects and take on some extra salary to make the returns that much greater.

Personally, I think they'll be out of the race by mid November, but you can always be competitive, even when losing. I think that's what they're going to try to establish this year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't think the players, coaching staff or management want a full on tank. And I kind of get it. If you create an environment of losing, then the players become accustomed to it. Now, if the Flyers are out of the playoff race by December/January, then yes, embrace a tank. Move players, add draft picks and prospects and take on some extra salary to make the returns that much greater.

Personally, I think they'll be out of the race by mid November, but you can always be competitive, even when losing. I think that's what they're going to try to establish this year.

I think you can move players continue to try to win and rebuild.

But non the less you have to prioritize one of them.

And the rebuild some be the main goal.

The players will understand they have seen the moves this offseason.

It's a business and it needs to be done right this time.

You notice Blackhawks didn't give a f**k what the kids think they moved assets and embraced the rebuild. Results be damned they gonna be what they gonna be.

Next year is when a good portion should be done. Gauthier should be coming aboard and then you can push hard for the wild card.

Otherwise it feels like the old way.

Greetings:

I think that the command staff does what they do.  If there's a playoff birth, fine.  If not, fine.  BTW, I read a good piece on that this morning which basically said the following.  For the Flyers to make the playoffs as a wild card, Washington and Pitt need to decline dramatically.  Outside the Metro, the question would be if Montreal picks things up faster than the O and B.  Within the Metro--I might add that CBJ is its own wild card.  At some point, that unit gels.  The upshot is I am not worried one way or the other.  I've said it here many times--in a league where half the teams "make the playoffs,"  the criterion is a bit loose..or a very low bar.  On the other hand, as we saw with EDM a decade ago, constantly accumulating high picks doesn't always overcome a losing culture.  Let's build a winning culture with high draft picks that pan out as good to excellent players and get with the 21st century NHL.  When we start doing better than .500 in SO or OT, we're getting a good indicator that the worst is behind us.

• Like 1