Does Jacob Trouba need to move the C patch from his elbow to his stick blade?

mojo1917

There’s a video out there showing Trouba’s swing from the right side and behind him and from that angle you can see it’s really not much. The guy he hit barely flinched. Definitely a penalty but that’s all. I think they fined him just to shut people up; the twitterheads were going crazy.

The New York Rangers have managed to beat the Boston Bruins, who were sitting at the top spot in the NHL before the Blueshirts claimed the throne themselves.

In what was an absolute barnburner of a game, the main focus was on the eleven total goals scored throughout the matchup. But with the dust settled, there is now some controversy surrounding one specific play in which Rangers’ Captain Jacob Trouba might have gotten himself into more hot water.

Trouba landed a nasty high stick slash on Trent Frederic

During yesterday’s matchup against Boston, Trouba managed to fully swing his stick with a two-handed grip, and nail Bruins’ forward Trent Frederic on the side of the head.

There was no penalty given following the play, and the game continued forward. Fans quickly took to social media to give their opinions on the play, with Rangers fans defending their captain, and practically everyone else calling for a suspension.

NHL Player Safety opts to hand out max fine for the high stick

Per the NHL Player Safety, Trouba was charged a maximum fine of $5,000 for his high stick on Frederic. There was certainly room for debate on a potential suspension, but upon reviewing the footage, it was declared that solely a fine would suffice for penalizing Trouba.

Did the Rangers get off the hook too easy for the high stick?

When looking at the play, it’s clear that Trouba didn’t intentionally try to slash Frederic across the side of the head. The Boston forward was holding Trouba’s stick down, causing the stick to fly upward as he let go right as Trouba tried to break free.

The NHL is known to penalize players even when plays are unintentional. The high stick wasn’t a dirty play, but it’s certainly a reckless one.

Players have been suspended for actions like this in the past, so Trouba might have gotten lucky to only have been handed a fine right now. He’s a key part of the Rangers’ success, so he must aim to be more careful moving forward in the season.

This is the result of bett turds modern day NHL. A bunch of spoiled, entitled brats skating about with impunity. Trouba knows there is no risk to this both physical and financial. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. The NHL needs to rename its discipline arm. Department of Player Safety doesn't really cover it.

11 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Sorry GF, hits to the head with a composite stick are NEVER nothing. 

If you mean that head injuries can be tricky so it’s smart to err on the side of caution I agree. But this doesn’t qualify. Frederic’s reaction clearly shows that the stick barely grazed him.

10 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

If you mean that head injuries can be tricky so it’s smart to err on the side of caution I agree. But this doesn’t qualify. Frederic’s reaction clearly shows that the stick barely grazed him.

Seems to me like you're missing the point.  Fredrickson was stupid lucky to not be really hurt. 

What was the endgame of Trouba's actions there?

It's not like they were still physically engaged in a scrum for space or the puck, he turned and swung with the intention of doing what?

There are moves in the game where sticks can come up accidentally, lifting another guy's stick, using the stick for leverage to "lift" a guy out of his strong position...what was that move?

Two handed baseball swing above the shoulders?

That's assault if you were to do it to me on the street. 

The league's disciplinary function doesn't.

It shows the league is capricious when it comes to protecting and subsequently disciplining it's players.

No I’m just disagreeing with your point, and thank you for clarifying it, something I failed to do. You evidently believe Trouba simply missed, that he was intentionally trying to whack Frederic in the head with his stick. I don’t. What I see is him spinning around and only because he was holding his stick high it contacted Frederic’s helmet. He’s obviously at fault for not controlling his stick. They’re both lucky it played out the way it did. 

• Like 1