Rizzo: This article drives me nuts

CoachX

Ok, disclaimer.... I haven't watched and I have been marginally up to date with anything going on with the team. Since Football is almost over, and the Eagles are trying their hardest to replace the Flyers as the franchise most like to make me jump off a bridge, I thought I would try to ease back in to what's what with our boys

I started by reading this article about the Rizzo kid. I don't much about him. Sounds like he might be a good addition down the road. But that's not what strike me odd. The interview quoted Bobby Brink and his take on Rizzo. here's what he said: "I haven’t talked to him since he’s been traded. I think he’s excited about being in the organization, obviously he’s having an unbelievable year. Even when I was there when he was a freshman you could tell he was a special player. Lot of skill, hard worker, loves the game, so yeah, I think he’s a great player.”

not bad, good stuff I suppose.

Then....“I have no idea what he’s gonna do and what his decision’s gonna be, or what the club’s gonna do,”

makes sense. At this point I got the impression the two were buddies or something. NOT!

The next line the reporter writes is, "For fans that might have romanticized these two as a future dynamic duo in Orange and Black, it’s clear that they aren’t super close with each other."

It is? Not sure how anyone else would take this, but it wasn't clear to me. I mean, if Brink doesn't know the guy, why the hell do I care what his opinion is? Hell, why not interview the hallway janitor and ask his thoughts?

I guess there isnt much more to report on.

BTW, since I'm late to the party,  has Laughton scored his second goal of the year yet?

Asking for a friend. :PopcornSmiley2:

Sounds like something we just shouldn't care about to me.

As for Laughton...he has more goals than Ristolainen has points...and for half the money. And can play any position. Risto can't even play his position. 

Your angst against a guy who could easily play on any team in the league is bizarre. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

It is? Not sure how anyone else would take this, but it wasn't clear to me. I mean, if Brink doesn't know the guy, why the hell do I care what his opinion is? Hell, why not interview the hallway janitor and ask his thoughts?

They were teammates.

Bobby would have gotten to see him play up close, practiced with him and maybe even played with him on specialty teams.

So, Bobby's opinion is most likely a better take on Rizzo's skill than the janitor's. 

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

They were teammates.

Bobby would have gotten to see him play up close, practiced with him and maybe even played with him on specialty teams.

So, Bobby's opinion is most likely a better take on Rizzo's skill than the janitor's. 

Yeah, Im sure Brink has a more valuable opinion. My issues is with the writer. Like FC said, why should we care. If they were teammates and that is the basis for why Brink was interviewed, illustrate that point. Dont end it with, they arent really close.

It also sounds like who Rizzo is now as a player, ad who he was then, might be two different players

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I guess there isnt much more to report on.

Pretty much.

But as he said he was a freshman the last year at Denver and the year they won it all was their only year together playing and Rizzo played 2 more years at Denver after Bobby left.

just seems to be pointing out that they aren't best friends is all. And why Bobby doesn't know what his plans are for the future.

And he is referring to Rizzo inking a contract with the Flyers since they didn't draft him Rizzo has till August 15th to sign a contract with the Flyers or he will be a free agent able to sign with any team he chooses.

I'd hate to loose the kid for nothing in return. But if he doesn't want to be a part of the Flyer will know by the time the college year is over because then he can sign his contract and play with the Phantoms and try and push for a title in the AHL.

Guess we'll see.

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd hate to loose the kid for nothing in return. But if he doesn't want to be a part of the Flyer will know by the time the college year is over because then he can sign his contract and play with the Phantoms and try and push for a title in the AHL.

is there something to this? Does he not want to be a Flyer?

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

is there something to this? Does he not want to be a Flyer?

Haven't heard anything but sure it is a possibility he could walk if he wanted to play somewhere else.

At this point all you can do is hope he'd like to sign and play in Philly.

• Like 1