11F/7D lineup

Not sure what Torts obsession is with 11/7? I don’t get the benefit of constant mixing of the 4th line and 3rd D pair.

I also wonder if they have one a game this year when going 11/7?

I believe he's said they have seven D that need to play.

Also they pointed out in game tonight that it gives him the option of putting a Tippett against a lower line.

Dunno if any of that makes sense, but that's what I've heard...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Not sure what Torts obsession is with 11/7? I don’t get the benefit of constant mixing of the 4th line and 3rd D pair.

Last year, the Oilers demonstrated that you can do it, but it mostly only worked because they had a guy who may be the best player ever, and a #2 centre in the prime of a Hall of Fame career. It's extremely draining on the centres, tires them out, definitely leads to defensive breakdowns, and by the time the playoffs get past the first round, they're out of gas.

I think it's alright in an emergency, but don't consider it something which should be used very often

• Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 8:46 PM, JR Ewing said:

Last year, the Oilers demonstrated that you can do it, but it mostly only worked because they had a guy who may be the best player ever, and a #2 centre in the prime of a Hall of Fame career. It's extremely draining on the centres, tires them out, definitely leads to defensive breakdowns, and by the time the playoffs get past the first round, they're out of gas.

I think it's alright in an emergency, but don't consider it something which should be used very often

All good points.  Even Gretzky, or McJesus, have their limits.  Cant run a guy 25+ min/night for dozens of games consecutively and expect their A+ game in round 2/3 or even the Stanley Cup...need evidence?  That's why repeat winners of Stanley Cup are rare and why the threepeat is almost unheard of.  Guys are just on fumes cause the playoffs are both 6+ longer of hockey as well as 6+ weeks shorter of breaks...

For right now though, while team continues to find what it is, suppose its not a huge problem?

Still, I like the bones here.  Framework really looking promising...And I was NOT optimistic when Danny and Keith took over and said they wouldn't rebuild.  Guess that's why they do what they do and I dont do it...

Edited by hmc687

On 2/6/2024 at 8:29 PM, Samifan said:

I think it works pretty well for finding good match ups especially in the case of a guy like Owen Tippett. As the man who has spent 50 mostly successful years in the hockey world explained to us.

Flip side of that coin is-that team was gassed at the all star break. I think the schedule for the second part of the season is more favorable for the Flyers, so maybe they can get away with doing this more often?

The idea of playing a whole season with a shortened bench seems borderline sadistic toward the players.

Again , if you only have eleven NHL quality forwards ,lol , maybe this is what works