👊Rempe(NY) vs Deslauriers(PHI)👀

thegx.ca

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

I think I get where your going, but I dont see it the same way. In ANY sport, other than combat types, anyone can choose to fight. We see it in baseball, football, basketball and even soccer. The difference is the consequence of your actions. I think what you were getting at is fighting is ALLOWED in hockey, and has a penalty assessed to it. But even in that, you can't just fight whenever you want. Without a willing partner you will face significant consequences that could hurt your team. Do this repeatedly and it hurts your career. I also disagree with your wording that a fight can/will, "force your team to play better just with your sheer force and will power anytime during the game". There is no guarantee a fight will have any significant impact, and can at times backfire.

Im sure Im being overly criticaal of your POV. I agree that hockey is unique in that it allows fights. I also agree about the toughness of the players. I always chuckle when I hear basketball fans talk about the conditioning level of its players. I'd like to see them skate one shift at the NHL level. I also agree with your point about realism, although there is nothing fake about MMA or boxing.

Oh of course the fighting in combat sports is real I'm talking about all the hype though leads to social media shouting matches and WrestleMania style arenas...I like old WWF wrestling up until they turned Hulk Hogan bad but that's another story...the fake phoniness I'm specifically talking about is that it is not allowed to escalate to fist fighting in other sports so all their spit talk is phony/fake because it usually won't result in fighting but in hockey it's penalized but totally allowed as part of the sport and no other sport other than combat sports allows punching people in the face whenever they piss you off and even have the opportunity to first fight the same guy many times during the same game as long as you're allowed back onto the ice again...other sports talk a mean attitude but never are they allowed the opportunity to back up their talk with fists repeatedly like hockey...no managers agents hype men etc negotiating money etc before the fight it's just purely the decision between two guys whether they gonna fight or not and that to me is the realest type of fighting not prize fighting...

1 minute ago, thegx.ca said:

Oh of course the fighting in combat sports is real I'm talking about all the hype though leads to social media shouting matches and WrestleMania style arenas...I like old WWF wrestling up until they turned Hulk Hogan bad but that's another story...the fake phoniness I'm specifically talking about is that it is not allowed to escalate to fist fighting in other sports so all their spit talk is phony/fake because it usually won't result in fighting but in hockey it's penalized but totally allowed as part of the sport and no other sport other than combat sports allows punching people in the face whenever they piss you off and even have the opportunity to first fight the same guy many times during the same game as long as you're allowed back onto the ice again...other sports talk a mean attitude but never are they allowed the opportunity to back up their talk with fists repeatedly like hockey...no managers agents hype men etc negotiating money etc before the fight it's just purely the decision between two guys whether they gonna fight or not and that to me is the realest type of fighting not prize fighting...

I see your point :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 4:55 AM, Brewin Flames said:

3 fights in 5 games....and got whooped in this one.

I like this kid alot, but he'll have mush brains by 30

Not a good sign at all. Such a long 3 fights practically without any protection for his brain in 5 games. Wow. Probably he already have a mush brains in his young age of 21. Jimtown Guy recently presented Rempe's picture after 5 games at other thread. It looks a very scary sign for this poor kid. It reminds me our Wild enforcer Boogard who finished his life very very sadly. NHL organization  as well as Rangers too should take more attention about this kid. Just my thoughts regarding him.

42 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Not a good sign at all. Such a long 3 fights practically without any protection for his brain in 5 games. Wow. Probably he already have a mush brains in his young age of 21. Jimtown Guy recently presented Rempe's picture after 5 games at other thread. It looks a very scary sign for this poor kid. It reminds me our Wild enforcer Boogard who finished his life very very sadly. NHL organization  as well as Rangers too should take more attention about this kid. Just my thoughts regarding him.

That's a good point too. His first fight was against Matt Martin during the outdoor game after only 1:23 in the first period, on his first shift and he hadn't skated one bit. That was a bit ridiculous IMO. It's also Laviolette's responsability to tell Rempe to slack a bit in the upcoming games and protect him because he won't last long otherwise...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Great Point...as I too also wonder about The Rangers stance on this.

As much as i love Rempe already, perhaps Laviolette should pull him aside as say "Listen kid, think long term, and you don't have to accept every challenge/fight that comes along"  Does the organization have a responsibilty to protect the players?

Too long a list of players who had similar paths that led to .....

• Good Post 1

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That's only a question Rempe and the team doctors can decide...just like boxing the doctors and refs can stop guys from making their own decisions in hockey it's gotta be the doctors and concussion spotters and coaches/GMs...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rangers' Matt Rempe gets 4-game suspension for elbow to headwyshynski_greg.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop

• Greg Wyshynski, ESPNMar 12, 2024, 05:01 PM ET

New York Rangers rookie forward Matt Rempe was suspended four games by the NHL Department of Player Safety on Tuesday after elbowing New Jersey Devils defenseman Jonas Siegenthaler in the head Monday night.

It's the first suspension of Rempe's 10-game NHL career. Rempe will forfeit $17,083.32, with the money going to the players' emergency assistance fund. He can appeal the suspension to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, who would have the final say on that appeal.

Rempe was given a game misconduct with 30 seconds remaining in the second period of the Rangers' 3-1 win over the Devils.

Siegenthaler held up near the red line after shooting the puck into the attacking zone. Rempe skated toward him and stretched his left arm to connect with Siegenthaler's head. The on-ice officials conferred, reviewed the play, and confirmed that Rempe had earned a five-minute major for elbowing and a game misconduct.

Siegenthaler did not return for the third period, and Devils coach Travis Green said "he's not doing great" when asked about his status.

After the game, the Devils called for Rempe to be suspended, with Green saying the Rangers forward had "some intent there to injure" on his hit.

"He's a huge guy, and he's throwing his elbows around like that," said Devils forward Kurtis MacDermid of 6-foot-7 Rempe. "You've got to learn how to hit properly and not injure players."

In its ruling, the NHL Department of Player Safety believed Rempe raised his arm up into Siegenthaler's head after realizing he had mistimed his check.

The counterargument from Rempe, the Rangers and the NHLPA was that the contact was unavoidable because Siegenthaler stopped short and that Rempe might have just been bracing himself for impact against the boards.

The NHL disagreed. "Rempe is clearly committed to throwing a check on this play. Having ended up at an angle of approach that would take him across the front of Siegenthaler's body and potentially miss him entirely, Rempe chooses to flare his elbow both up and away from his body in dangerous fashion, driving it directly into the head of Siegenthaler with substantial force," the league said in its ruling.

The four-game suspension means Rempe will miss Tuesday night's critical game against the Carolina Hurricanes, as well as games against other Eastern Conference teams the Tampa Bay Lightning and Pittsburgh Penguins, plus Sunday's showdown at Madison Square Garden against the New York Islanders.

Rempe has quickly become one of the most divisive players in the NHL during his brief career in the league. As well as being 6-7, he plays a physical game. Rangers fans have chanted his name at Madison Square Garden, as Rempe has become a cult hero despite not seeing the ice that often. Through the win over the Devils on Monday, Rempe has nearly as many penalty minutes (54) as minutes played (56:28) in his NHL career.

He debuted in the Rangers' Stadium Series win over the Islanders at MetLife Stadium on Feb. 18, fighting on his first NHL shift in that game.

This was Rempe's second game misconduct in as many meetings against the Devils. On Feb. 22, Rempe was given a match penalty for an illegal check to the head of Devils forward Nathan Bastian just 2:22 into the first period. The NHL opted not to hand Rempe any supplemental discipline for that hit. Bastian hasn't played in a game since then.

"I asked him. There's a bit of a code. I thought he would've answered that. I don't know what he was told, but he said no," MacDermid said of Rempe. "And after a hit like that [on Bastian], it kind of goes without saying you should answer the bell in some way and be a man about it. Then he throws another hit that gets him kicked out and with a possible suspension. So, there's a right way to go about things and the wrong way."

MacDermid was given a 10-minute misconduct for trying to fight Rempe after the hit on Siegenthaler.

• Good Post 1