๐Ÿ‘ŠRempe(NY) vs Deslauriers(PHI)๐Ÿ‘€

thegx.ca

That's a lot of dude to throw hands with. 6'8" ? That's total knuckledraggin' goon territory.

ย 

Then the *****' kid goes and pots the game winner. Sheesh.

Definitely a great scrap.

Good on Nick D for giving the kid a go and then fighting him to a draw.

Nick's a tough cuss and a class act at this point in his hockey life.

ย 

Rempe looks like he could be terrorizing the league for years, he can play a little too.

ย 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

That's a lot of dude to throw hands with. 6'8" ? That's total knuckledraggin' goon territory.

ย 

Then the *****' kid goes and pots the game winner. Sheesh.

Definitely a great scrap.

Good on Nick D for giving the kid a go and then fighting him to a draw.

Nick's a tough cuss and a class act at this point in his hockey life.

ย 

Rempe looks like he could be terrorizing the league for years, he can play a little too.

ย 

ย 

ย 

I just hope he developes into a respectable player and not just a goon.

ย 

2 Fights in 4 games so far.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

ย 

ย 

I just hope he developes into a respectable player and not just a goon.

ย 

2 Fights in 4 games so far.

ย 

So far, he's played 3:45 and has 27 PIM.ย ย ย ย  lol

ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

ย 

He got sat down again...

ย 

ย 

ย 

That is one of the best fights I've ever seen. He gives up about 4 inches on the reach. Tagged him good several times. Career fight for Olivier.

• Like 3

I don't know... As much as I like the physicality of hockey, the fights also of course, I'm still struggling with the concept of set-up organized fights. I don't know what it clearly brings and what's the value-added in those. A fight has to come from a sequence of events, a rivalry, animosity, even retaliation (but not on a good legal hit). It has to come from the heart, like two guys that dislike (but respect in the meantime) each other. Maybe the Rempe guy has a real potential and can become a legit NHLer -- at least in today's hockey you have to contribute even if you are an enforcer, but I prefer a Cuylle type of guy that hits a lot and add physicality in this way rather than piling up PIM from fighting major.

31 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

ย 

That's a helluva fight right there. Respect is the value added.

ย 

Oh I totally agree on that point, that fight was a nice one.

ย 

By value-added, I mean towards the gameplan and strategy. What brings such fights into the overall game as a whole aside of trying to switch momentum and try to ignite a spark. Respect has always been there between fighters and enforcers (I hate the term "goon"). Kordic, Probert, Kocur, McRae, Churla, McSorley, Domi, Grimson, Nilan, Boogaard, Fedoruk; just to name a few of them, they all respected each other even if things turned out ugly sometimes.ย 

This Rempe dude (6'8!??) really is making the rounds on the hockey outlets.
I mean, that is great n all, big strong young guy wanting to make his impact in the league, but I did some digging into his career in the minors, and well, other than racking up the PIMs, there doesn't seem to be much else to him.

If he can be a unicorn type player that can hit, fight, defend and contribute to offense, then the Rangers may have something in the 7th rounder.
But to make your living like he has so far....and with every swingin richard challenging him now every time he steps on the ice....man, that is just a brutal way to make a living.

@Brewin Flamesย said mush brains by 30?
Not at this clip...maybe more like 25 for this young man, if he can even last that long.

The league being what it is, I fear this 21 yr old will find that unless he at least becomes a good PK'er, or a feared checking bottom sixer, he will be relegated to 'yesterday's news' sooner than later and replaced on the NHL roster faster than you can say "Brain Injury"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Math said:

ย 

Oh I totally agree on that point, that fight was a nice one.

ย 

By value-added, I mean towards the gameplan and strategy. What brings such fights into the overall game as a whole aside of trying to switch momentum and try to ignite a spark. Respect has always been there between fighters and enforcers (I hate the term "goon"). Kordic, Probert, Kocur, McRae, Churla, McSorley, Domi, Grimson, Nilan, Boogaard, Fedoruk; just to name a few of them, they all respected each other even if things turned out ugly sometimes.ย 

Confidence aggressiveness winning spirit all things needed not just in sports but in any competitive environment...whether it's sports or business or love or war or etc putting fear or doubt into the minds or the competition is always an advantage compared to not...

To put in comparison I'm not a big ultimate fighting/boxing/MMA/violence fan...but I truly appreciate hockeyย  because unlike the other sports the entire team has their individual/personal choice to fight or drop their gloves or slash at others etc and that choice to fight or not or to slash or not etc is exactly what other sports lack...in combats sports there is no choice not to fright and in other sports like soccer etc there is no choice to fight because fighting isn't part of the game...but in hockey you have the choice to take matters into your own hands and try to force your team to play better just with your sheer force and will power anytime during the game...you might not be able to score but you can fight anytime you want and that gives hockey athletes a certain toughness and realness trust non hockey players will never have...and for me as a fan I trulyย  appreciate realness in our world of ever growing fakeness...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

To put in comparison I'm not a big ultimate fighting/boxing/MMA/violence fan...but I truly appreciate hockeyย  because unlike the other sports the entire team has their individual/personal choice to fight or drop their gloves or slash at others etc and that choice to fight or not or to slash or not etc is exactly what other sports lack...in combats sports there is no choice not to fright and in other sports like soccer etc there is no choice to fight because fighting isn't part of the game...but in hockey you have the choice to take matters into your own hands and try to force your team to play better just with your sheer force and will power anytime during the game...you might not be able to score but you can fight anytime you want and that gives hockey athletes a certain toughness and realness trust non hockey players will never have...and for me as a fan I trulyย  appreciate realness in our world of ever growing fakeness...

ย 

I'm fully on board with this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Math said:

I don't know... As much as I like the physicality of hockey, the fights also of course, I'm still struggling with the concept of set-up organized fights. I don't know what it clearly brings and what's the value-added in those. A fight has to come from a sequence of events, a rivalry, animosity, even retaliation (but not on a good legal hit). It has to come from the heart, like two guys that dislike (but respect in the meantime) each other. Maybe the Rempe guy has a real potential and can become a legit NHLer -- at least in today's hockey you have to contribute even if you are an enforcer, but I prefer a Cuylle type of guy that hits a lot and add physicality in this way rather than piling up PIM from fighting major.

Im with you on this. The staged fight between 2 big guys who don't offer much more is kind of boring. Not in the sense that a fight is boring, but more that its a side show that has little purpose. Having a guy like Rempe or ND on your roster to back you up, while still contributing valuable minutes, is valuable, but not often a reality. I like the fights between guys who are pissed off at some egregious (percieved or real) act that occurred during the game. I think this Rempe guy is the flavor of the week. He will most likely be the next Boogaard, John Scott, type as far as size goes. However, based on these last two fights, he doesn't carry the same menacing intimidation

1 hour ago, thegx.ca said:

I think I get where your going, but I dont see it the same way. In ANY sport, other than combat types, anyone can choose to fight. We see it in baseball, football, basketball and even soccer. The difference is the consequence of your actions. I think what you were getting at is fighting is ALLOWED in hockey, and has a penalty assessed to it. But even in that, you can't just fight whenever you want. Without a willing partner you will face significant consequences that could hurt your team. Do this repeatedly and it hurts your career. I also disagree with your wording that a fight can/will, "force your team to play better just with your sheer force and will power anytime during the game". There is no guarantee a fight will have any significant impact, and can at times backfire.

ย 

Im sure Im being overly criticaal of your POV. I agree that hockey is unique in that it allows fights. I also agree about the toughness of the players. I always chuckle when I hear basketball fans talk about the conditioning level of its players. I'd like to see them skate one shift at the NHL level. I also agree with your point about realism, although there is nothing fake about MMA or boxing.