Wild vs Avalanche; Tuesday 04/09/24; 8:30 PM; Ball Arena

8 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:
2005 1 4 Benoit Pouliot

2015 5 135 Kirill Kaprizov

Interesting pick history. 🤔

And Panarin is undrafted. This season 116 points(46 goals; 70 assists) in 79 games. And Pavel Datsuik #6; 171 by Detroit in 1998, who was an artist in hockey; Triple Gold Club member. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

That's just natural tho. Secure financial security. Then there seems to be the post contract hangover so often. Maybe Gus would bounce back next year but can you take that chance?
Remember Dumba? Big season =Crazy contract and never came close to replicating that season.

I agree. We had so many of them in 24 years. 

And we are officially eliminated tonight from a Stanley Cup picture in 2023-2024 season. 

I still would like to see here as soon as possible for a tryout Firstov; Ohgren; Milne, Walker. Without that we will not know how good they are. Usually talent shows right away. Many current Wild players could sit at the bench and think about the next season (how to play and where to play). I am sure changes will be for the team.

6 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I still would like to see here as soon as possible for a tryout Firstov; Ohgren; Milne, Walker. Without that we will not know how good they are. Usually talent shows right away. Many current Wild players could sit at the bench and think about the next season (how to play and where to play). I am sure changes will be for the team.

The Wild's cap problems won't allow that. They still have to remain below the cap until the Playoffs. So if they call up all those players, what do they do with the players on the current roster?

And there will be little to no changes next year. Most of the problem players have NTC/NMC (Johansson, Gadreau, Hartman). The only players that aren't signed for next season are Beckman, Lucchini, Shaw, Goligoski, Chisholm, Mermis, and Fleury. With the exception of Fleury, they all make under$1M. And Faber is going to get a BIG raise next season. Plus Rossi is due a raise. They just don't have the cap space or flexibility to overhaul the roster.

They better pray no one gets hurt next season. Because it'll be deja vu all over again.

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

The Wild's cap problems won't allow that. They still have to remain below the cap until the Playoffs. So if they call up all those players, what do they do with the players on the current roster?

And there will be little to no changes next year. Most of the problem players have NTC/NMC (Johansson, Gadreau, Hartman). The only players that aren't signed for next season are Beckman, Lucchini, Shaw, Goligoski, Chisholm, Mermis, and Fleury. With the exception of Fleury, they all make under$1M. And Faber is going to get a BIG raise next season. Plus Rossi is due a raise. They just don't have the cap space or flexibility to overhaul the roster.

They better pray no one gets hurt next season. Because it'll be deja vu all over again.

This, 100%.  That's really what this organization is pinning its hopes to.  No one getting hurt and somehow despite being OLDER...we'll somehow stay healthier and be more productive.  

And then they have to find a way to pay Brock Faber $9M or more per season.  Hahahaha...after all of that stupid money thrown at #17, #38 and #36...and they think they'll fit that in somehow.  Honestly, I'd toss #46's deal into this too...just stupid to pay a tiny defenseman until he's 38 years old big money.  

According to CapFriendly, they will have just over $8.6M in cap space in 2024-25. But that's with only 18 players signed to the roster. Maybe they get Fleury to sign for $1M and they move Gus. That will get them an extra $2M and change.

So now they have about $10M to play with. 

Still not great, but Rossi's, Faber's, and Khusnutdinov's extensions won't kick in until 2025-26 when the dead cap space is down to $1.6M and they'll have $36M is cap space.

So can they delay extending Rossi, Faber and Marat for 1 year and have a little extra for one year?

IMO I don’t think the cap hit disappearing from Suter Parise is going to go as far as they think. The young guys coming up and Kaprizov will eat into that money considerably. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

So can they delay extending Rossi, Faber and Marat for 1 year and have a little extra for one year?

IMO I don’t think the cap hit disappearing from Suter Parise is going to go as far as they think. The young guys coming up and Kaprizov will eat into that money considerably. 

Correct. They can negotiate in the final year of the contract to extend the contract. So the final year of those three contracts is 2024-25. The extension will kick in for the 2025-26 season, when the dead cap space is $1.6M.

On 4/10/2024 at 6:00 AM, IllaZilla said:

And Ohgren is here. This is ridiculous after 3 games of playing  in AHL without any points. Firstov is more merit to come first here.  2 goals and assist in 7 games. I told before he is better than Khusnutdinov, and has much more experience than Ohgren as well. 

9 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

And Ohgren is here. This is ridiculous after 3 games of playing  in AHL without any points. Firstov is more merit to come first here.  2 goals and assist in 7 games. I told before he is better than Khusnutdinov, and has much more experience than Ohgren as well. 

It has nothing to do with merit. Ohgren's contract doesn't count against the cap. Firstov's does. They only have around $40K in cap space. You can fit $0 under $40,000. You can't fit $925,000.

• Like 1

It's funny, I have a guy I follow on Twitter who is a Swede that's moved to Minnesota.  He's all about Ohgren getting the chance...falling over himself.  Now we see Alexandron angry as hell that the Swede beat the Russian to the opportunity.  

He's right, its all about the fact Ohgren doesn't count against the cap whereas Firstov does.  Either way...its all just arranging chairs on the Wild Titanic of the 2023-24 season.  It doesn't really matter all that much at all.  

Posted (edited)

I still think they can find the way to bring players if they really want. Gaudreau and Zuccarello took a personal leave and are not playing tonight against Vegas. We have an opened room.

We know pretty well Swedish opportunity here. Gustavsson who was not able to play same way as he did before signing contract last season.I am even not talkinkg about Johansson opportunity to play here. Where is his almost point per game play which we had seen last year?

Personally for me, we missed an opportunity to make playoffs this season because we didn't used an opportunity to bring Firstov here. For the last 7 crucial games he would add points and phisicality. Huge strategical mistake for not trying him here when he was available. They don't know what means motivation to play in NHL and to shows nice results to most Russian players. It means more than to sign the contact.

Edited by Alexandron

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I still think they can find the way to bring players if they really want. Gaudreau and Zuccarello took a personal leave and are not playing tonight against Vegas. We have an opened room.

We know pretty well Swedish opportunity here. Gustavsson who was not able to play same way as he did before signing contract last season.I am even not talkinkg about Johansson opportunity to play here. Where is his almost point per game play which we had seen last year?

Personally for me, we missed an opportunity to make playoffs this season because we didn't used an opportunity to bring Firstov here. For the last 7 crucial games he would add points and phisicality. Huge strategical mistake for not trying him here when he was available. They don't know what means motivation to play in NHL and to shows nice results to most Russian players. It means more than to sign the contact.

Just because Gadreau and Zuccarello aren’t on the roster doesn’t mean their salaries don’t count against the cap. The Wild still only have $40,000 in cap space.

And Firstov couldn’t come here any sooner than he did because he was still under contract to his KHL team.

And the Wild missed the Playoffs not because they didn’t call Firstov up, but because players like Gadreau and Johansson haven’t scored all season, Hartman and Foligno has been inconsistent, Filip Gustavson was a sieve, and 75% of the defense are AHLers. That’s why they didn’t make the Playoffs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

players like Gadreau and Johansson haven’t scored all season, Hartman and Foligno has been inconsistent, Filip Gustavson was a sieve, and 75% of the defense are AHLers. That’s why they didn’t make the Playoffs. 

In a nutshell. 👍... Foligno has a bit of an excuse with that core injury that probably aggrevated the more he played. Probably also explains why there wasn't any fights from him late in the season.
Gus maybe felt the pressure of the new contract along with the post contract hangover. Nothing to play for in a way, Feeling pretty secure $$ wise leads to complacency.

Edited by ClusterChuck