EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC1) Tampa Bay Lightning at (A1) Florida Panthers (FLA Wins 4-1)

Lightning at Panthers  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Rebirth of the Bolts....Or a new standard with the Panthers?

• Lightning in 4.... TB re-establishes themselves in a big, big way, knocking out the Cats as fast as can be!
    • Lightning in 5.... Panthers show game, but ultimately, still are a few rungs below their in-state rivals
    • Lightning in 6.... A very entertaining and at times brutal series that sees TB continue their dominance over FLA
    • Lightning in 7.... Close series, special teams play a huge part, and TB skates on towards Cup glory
    • Panthers in 4.... Bolts are yesterday's news, and really shouldn't have been on the same ice sheet as FLA
    • Panthers in 5... TB is a mere shell of their former glory, and the Panthers prove that as they look for more worthy challengers
    • Panthers in 6... FLA finally turns the tables on the Lightning as they show the Bolts lost too much over the years
    • Panthers in 7... Cats manage to outlast the Lightning and prove they can play against any style and in any circumstance. They now await Tor/Bos.

Bolts gonna get a win finally!!??

Those first two games where anyone's games....kudos to Florida for getting it done, one way or the other.

Definitely need a response in the 'W' column by the Lightning tonight though.
They are down 2-1 after, this is still a series...they do down 3-0, even though it wouldn't be over....it would be over...ya know?

Let's see what the Bolts got at home....now with the last change advantage, and Florida without one of lesser known, but very important heroes, Sam Bennett.

There seems to always be a hint of 'rush panic' on the Bolts whenever they try to organize a rush due to Florida forecheck and pressure.

The kind of rush panic that WASN'T there when the Bolts had guys like Maroon, McDonagh, Palat, and even Zach Bogosian.
Because those guys always seemed to stay cool under pressure.

Win or lose, if the Bolts go into the offseason looking for improvements, they need to hunt down players that have the kind of mindsets those aforementioned players have.
With some more levelheadedness under pressure, the Bolts wouldn't be nearly as susceptible to bad clearing attempts, blue line turnovers, and the poor kind of transition from their zone outward we are seeing now.

Lightning are getting the PP chances...at least Florida is getting called for the BS hooking and interference calls this game.
But that means nothing unless the supposed #1 powerplay in the league makes use of the man advantage.

Panthers giving the Bolts absolutely NO SPACE out there...always getting in the grill of Bolts players with the puck.
I am pretty sure there is a way for the TB talented forwards to bait them in and take advantage of this, but as of right now, they don't have the answer.

Tampa might as well forfeit and go home to rest and play golf. They aren't gonna win any games. 

I'm rooting for them, though. And I hope I'm wrong.....but I'm not.

I hate the Panthers! So mainly in this series I'm rooting AGAINST the Panthers rather than FOR Tampa.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

but wait...Florida is challenging for offsides....

This reminds me of Euro-Football goals disallowed per Video Assistant Referee (VAR).  Far more goals disallowed for offsides there than in hockey.

Just now, SaucyJack said:

This reminds me of Euro-Football goals disallowed per Video Assistant Referee (VAR).  Far more goals disallowed for offsides there than in hockey.

Well, FWIW, the refs DID get the call right....much as I don't like it.

Bolts pushed back afterwards once again, but ran out of time.
I believe they will still have a slice of that PP left to start the 2nd?
Will have to look.

Posted (edited)

There we go...now THAT one will count...not a PP goal, but Stamkos with the brilliant tip in after the feed from Hedman squares things for the Lightning.
1-1 start of the 2nd

Edit: Looks like that was a PP goal...tail end of it.
Either way, Bolts needed that badly!

Now....they need to shore up their overall play, especially 5 on 5

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC1) Tampa Bay Lightning at (A1) Florida Panthers (FLA Leads 3-0)

Now is as good a time as any to remind folks that this is the 10-year anniversary of Sharks-Kings first round playoff series with San Jose leading Los Angeles 3-0 after game three.

People might recall who ended up with the 2014 Stanley Cup.

11 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Now is as good a time as any to remind folks that this is the 10-year anniversary of Sharks-Kings first round playoff series with San Jose leading Los Angeles 3-0 after game three.

People might recall who ended up with the 2014 Stanley Cup.

Yeah,

no. not happening here.

Possibly the last Bolts game of the season for me?

Man, I know the Panthers are good, as I've been saying they ARE Cup contenders this year and that last season's run to the Finals was NO FLUKE...
But still, don't wanna see my boys go out in a sweep or even in five.
Tampa Bay is better than that, although their manner of defending and their mindset under pressure betrays that somewhat.

If Florida were to beat the Lightning in 6 or 7 games, I could accept that as, "Well, my boys competed, but they just weren't good enough".
Losing in 5 or in a sweep...even against a good team, is a very tough pill to swallow.

I don't know what kind of plan Julien Brisebois has for the off season (getting Stamkos signed better be priority number one however!), but swapping around some personnel on the blueline or alter the kind of defense they play (maybe that entails changing the assistant in charge of that), from zone (current form) to man to man (what they played when they were successful), is definitely in order!

As for today's game, cliche time...
One shift at a time, one period at a time, one game at a time...
4th game is the hardest to win....
Ain't over till it's over (thanks Yogi! :bigteeth: )
Bolts haven't lost till the Panthers have won...
Etc, etc, etc....

It's all they and us fans of the team have left!

Bolts up 2-0 in the first of must-win games.
Just scored a short hander.
They are gonna need that, and a whole lot more. 

History for teams down 0-3 is not on their side.
I believe the stat read off the other day was 98% that they LOSE the series!

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Should have went down as soon as that 3rd goal went in.

If the Lightning add any more goals before Florida can score, Stolarz probably will be in.
Anthony did have a pretty good season for Florida. 
At times, HE even looked like the number one.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If the Lightning add any more goals before Florida can score, Stolarz probably will be in.
Anthony did have a pretty good season for Florida. 
At times, HE even looked like the number one.

Bob has played 61 games this season and he isn't a spring chicken anymore he is 35.