OK, I'm officially worried!

Guest SpikeDDS

I don't mean to be negative, but I can't help it. If the Wings can't get their PP going and PK together, we are DONE.

Our PP is awful! There is little to no movement off the puck, and part of the problem is that it's the veterans--not the kids--who aren't moving! I realize the personnel is different, but if you want to see the difference, look back at the PPs when the Russian 5 were playing. Those guys hardly ever stopped moving. I don't even have a problem with Homer or Franzen or Bert hanging in front of the net, so long as the others move around, but they aren't! They are becoming predictable, which is one of the worst descriptions you can give for a PP.

I know Boston got away with a bad PP last year in the SCPs, but their style of play is way different than ours. Ours is less physical (not NOT physical, mind you), but more skill. That means that our success depends a lot on making teams pay when they get in the box. Right now, they can take penalties at will, because we are not making them pay.

Nor are we a big threat to stop their PPs on the other side of it. Those two PP goals by the Preds were WAY too easy, basically open-net goals. Granted, they got a nice touch pass from one brother to another leading to the one, but Andrei was standing by himself in front of the net unchallenged prior to it. You could see the goal or at least a good scoring opportunity coming.

We don't fix this--and fast--we're not going to be able to recover. The playoffs will make these weaknesses LARGER, not smaller.

@SpikeDDS I don't think we should hit the panic button just yet. Teams have been playing a lot smarter against Detroit's power play all season. They've wised up against Homer and Mule in front of the net, sending two defenders back there to screen the shot and keep Homer off balance. I think it's time to adjust the power play strategy (for next seaason) to a more dynamic puck movement style, or at least have one or two guys down low to shovel in a rebound. The drop in production probably has a lot to do with the drop in personnel. I'm in wait-and-see mode right now. We may have to settle for a 4th seed, but only because St. Louis is so far ahead. We'll get some guys back this week, see how the California trip goes, then re-evaluate. At this point, all stats are at zero and the count starts Tuesday night in L.A.

A huge difference between the guys we have been running out on the power play and Datsyuk, Bertuzzi, and Lidstrom. Hopefully the guys who have gotten extra ice time lately will take the experience into the post season and build on it.

@yave1964 @SpikeDDS

I must caution that once they get Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Bertuzzi back, Babcock will likely sit Zetterberg. Rumor is he's been playing with a lower body injury, presumably his ankle. With the return of the rested forwards, Babs will only be too happy to rest Zetterberg (and possibly Cleary, with his Baker's Cyst) for the playoffs.

I think the Redwings will be fine once Datsyuk and Howard return. Add Lidstrom and Bertuzzi and they will dominate as usual.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe not "dominate" per se, but defninitely do well. We'll probably end up in 4th, but with a full, healthy team, we should have no problem in the "dreaded 4-5 seed matchup"

@WingNut722

Lidstrom is pretty much out indefinitely at this point: He tried going on the ice this morning at Honda Center but said, "I was more sore today when I skated, so that's why I was out there for just a few minutes. It was more sore today."I don't think it's good when you're more sore. So they want me to be more cautious about it." Lidstrom has been dealing with a deep bone bruise on the outside of his right ankle after getting hit by a puck Feb. 25. There is no fracture, Lidstrom said, but there is still swelling. And at this point, there's talk of shutting things down for a bit."We've talked about it," he said. "I'm sure they'll talk more to the coaching staff and see what the next step will be, but it's still day-to-day. It's discouraging that I haven't started feeling better, as it's going on two weeks now."Lidstrom is missing his eighth straight game tonight, when the Wings take on the Ducks

via newsfeeds

I've had my suspicions that Lidstrom is taking these little breaks in an effort to gauge what the team will be like in his absense. He feels a strong sense of responsibility to the Red Wings and I think it will be very tough for him to retire without first confirming that they're in good hands.

I've had my suspicions that Lidstrom is taking these little breaks in an effort to gauge what the team will be like in his absense. He feels a strong sense of responsibility to the Red Wings and I think it will be very tough for him to retire without first confirming that they're in good hands.

I agree, but that is a short-term feeling that I don't think will last. What has been notable during his injury has been his uncomfortableness with not playing, unless he is ONLY saying what he's been saying as spin, which is hard for me to believe. I hope that he decides to do whatever makes him happiest. He deserves that. But selfishly, I hope that his comments during his injury--especially of late--are an indication that he is realizing how much life would be different after his playing days are over in a negative way, because he realizes how much he still really enjoys playing the game.

It doesn't matter WHEN he leaves the Wings. They will NOT be the same without him. Period.

As much dislike as I have for Knonwall, the respect for Lidstrom is the polar opposite. The guy has been nothing but a class act his entire career. I hope it is not something more serious than the bone bruise and allows him to play in the post season. If he is not back on the ice for the post season, the Wings will be making tee times with the Leafs.....

As much dislike as I have for Knonwall, the respect for Lidstrom is the polar opposite. The guy has been nothing but a class act his entire career. I hope it is not something more serious than the bone bruise and allows him to play in the post season. If he is not back on the ice for the post season, the Wings will be making tee times with the Leafs.....

I seriously doubt Lidstrom will miss the post-season. He'll play on a bum ankle. As humble as he is, he still recognizes that 50% of Lidstrom is better than 0% of Lidstrom

I also agree with you, @SpikeDDS, but the man has such a love for the team that his decision to retrie will not be entirely based on the demands of his own body and his family.

I seriously doubt Lidstrom will miss the post-season. He'll play on a bum ankle. As humble as he is, he still recognizes that 50% of Lidstrom is better than 0% of Lidstrom

I also agree with you, @SpikeDDS, but the man has such a love for the team that his decision to retrie will not be entirely based on the demands of his own body and his family.

Agree, and that was exactly my point, only it wasn't so much the team itself the he loves, but rather his love for the game itself. The love for the team is there, and the friendships are important, which is why I think Holmstrom's fate will have some effect on Lidstrom's decision in addition to all the above.

Last I heard for Lidstrom is Saturday at the very earliest. Probably middle of the following week. Howard is day-to-day. Ericsson may return Saturday.

Conklin played a very respectable game last night. The two goals he gave up were total defensive breakdowns. That end-to-end goal by Brad Richards almost made me barf! Total defensive ineptness to let one guy skate the entire length of the ice straight down the middle and barely touching him until he takes a shot right from the middle of the slot. Kronwall really blew it on that play. It was disgusting!