Briere's interference penalty

Guest trevluk

I didnt get a great look at it and only saw one angle in the replay, but what am I missing???? It looked as if Briere was back checking on his man and used his stick to pin the Tampa players STICK down when the pass came across. Where I come from that is a good hockey play. It didnt appear that he ever used his stick to hook or interfere with the body of the Tampa player so I just dont see where the penalty is. Was there an angle that I did not see where Danny did in fact interfere or was that just a flat out terrible call that cost us a goal?

I think it was earlier in the play that Briere was "waterskiing" before he got his stick in good position at least I hope it was but nothing excuses the pull down from behind about a minute earlier against Simmonds not being called.....that was an absolute travesty.....horribly officiated game once again....and why is Zac Rinaldo the ONLY guy who ever gets a 10 minute misconduct for yapping.....

Zac Rinaldo the ONLY guy who ever gets a 10 minute misconduct for yapping.....

So there was no minor on that, nothing else assessed? That's fairly unusual to hand out a misconduct with no other penalty.

I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ghislean Herbert (or whatever his name is) who gave Zac that penalty. When he refs our games something stupid usually happens.

re: rinaldo's misconduct, as Meltzer put it on twitter, "Gee, what a shock. Chris Rooney mouths off to a player, gives him a misconduct. Not the way to show your control of a game."

Didnt see a great replay of Briere's penalty, but I find it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt. His lazy stick penatlies are usually justified, and on top of that he gets away with his share that arent called.

re: rinaldo's misconduct, as Meltzer put it on twitter, "Gee, what a shock. Chris Rooney mouths off to a player, gives him a misconduct. Not the way to show your control of a game."

Sad really. He will never get a fair shake. Rinaldo was pretty good that game too, in the offensive zone!

unless there was something right before the stick on stick play we all saw, that was a horrible call. those are the calls that must drive the players and coaches nuts because what is he supposed to do? let the guy waltz straight in on the goalie?

i mean... it's pretty amazing where we've come. do you remember when lindros sling-shot himself in front of messier to score an empty net many years ago?

unless there was something right before the stick on stick play we all saw, that was a horrible call. those are the calls that must drive the players and coaches nuts because what is he supposed to do? let the guy waltz straight in on the goalie?

i mean... it's pretty amazing where we've come. do you remember when lindros sling-shot himself in front of messier to score an empty net many years ago?

Ha! Yeah, I remember that vividly and even remember being surprised there was no call as that was pretty blatant even for those days! Even more surprised that there seemed to no objection to it from Messier or the Ranger bench!